Italy: Can I take it with me?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GravyCat

Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I am moving from Seattle to Rome, Italy in a couple months. I'm a long-time DTV customer who is going to hate to leave my DVR behind... but I've heard from a couple folks now that it's possible to set up my dish to recieve a signal in Italy, get my programming info from a broadband internet connection, pay my bill on the web, and continue on as a happy DTV customer with no one the wiser.

Is this true? Can I get an DirectTV satellite signal in Rome?

Fingers crossed for Buona Fortuna...

I heard this from some folks who had relatives in the military that are posted in Italy. Their claim is that it's possible to pick up one of the East Coast satellites if you have pointed the dish correctly.

Bunk or no?

I don't know about there claim because I haven't tried it but I will repeat the Birds are stationed over the US and have a footprint to match.
Is it possible to pick it up from Italy, I won't say it's impossible but improbable,
hopefully some of the Satellite Gurus on this forum can answer that!!

I agree, you will not be able to see any DirecTV form Italy, thats even if you could set up an account...... They do have their own satellite service over there owned by Rupert Murdoch I am sure it has the word SKY in it someplace, thats the bad news but from Italy you should be able to pick a plethora of FTA and pay channels, and there may be a way to subscribe to BSKYB tv from the UK, it has 90% of all the same shows that are here : ( Including the late shows and Fox News.... I used to watch the late shows all the time in Europe on the Hotbird satellite, the shows are one day out but its better than nothing, the world is such a small place these days because of satellite.

Tx for the replies -

I shouldn't have to worry about an account - I have one... right? And since I use a broadband connection for account and programming info then theoretically they have no way of knowing where in the world my reciever is actually located. Since Im keeping my house the billing address would still be correct. I just need some attitude and azimuth numbers.... and optimism... lots...

Just wishful thinking I guess. I've developed a deep emotional relationship with my Hughes Tivo/Reciever. I guess long-distance relationships just don't work out.

Now if I can get some Seahawk games on Sky then maybe I won't feel so deprived...

Bummer over there you might just have to get used to NFL Europe or take up Rugby.

NFL Europe : ) The Scottish Claymors used to practise at the end of my street when I lived over there, they could not give their tickets away to the locals! You better hope and pray for some better entertainment than that! I think you will find some football somewhere but not always the game you want, I used to watch American football back in the UK on Channel 5 it did not start until about one in the morning, thats about 3-4am in Italy, you will be too busy eating pizza for TV!

Not possible all of DirecTvs sats are above brazil and right now i live in Idaho and we cannot get reception for the new 119 bird. Alot to do with spot beaming, but still some of canada and mexico get signals but i trouble shoot people in new york that need at least 90% signal strenth cause they are almost off the map

The D* satellites are, of course, over the equator and positioned south of central USA. The main satellite (101) I believe is pretty central east/west over the US, but of course they are flying somewhere around Ecuador. I am also pretty sure that these beams shoot the signal over the continental US and while you might be able to get some signal in Mexico or Canada, that's about it. I believe people in Alaska can get a signal but they need a much larger dish than everyone else uses. I don't see how you could get this signal at all in Europe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Is my installer jerking me around ????

Hughes/DirectTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)