It's BAAAAACK!

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
That combo Blu-ray disc, with DVD, is back. Sorta. I suspect there are multitudes even now approaching the cradle, ready to strangle. Details here.

Yet another reason to keep the prices up on BD discs if it makes it here in the US in any big way I'm afraid.

Ding Ding Ding, I think we'll see DVD inserts and Digital Copy fill the gap until then. BD-Live is a joke in most of these titles now that studios are using basically a web page as their BD-Live content to serve ads/movie trailers.

Ding Ding Ding, I think we'll see DVD inserts and Digital Copy fill the gap until then. BD-Live is a joke in most of these titles now that studios are using basically a web page as their BD-Live content to serve ads/movie trailers.

I haven't even activated BD Live on my Sony player, for just that reason. :)

I have on 2 different titles and saw the same result, so havent accessed it since.

I think our viewing habits have just changed though... outside of gag reels I don't watch any extras usually, and I was a guy who used to listen to all of the commentaries and stuff back in the day.

Unless this is going to lower the price of blu-ray discs, I dont understand the point. Why would someone wanna buy one of these... from either perspective?
Well, like if you have a SD upconvert player in your bedroom and your wife wants to watch something in bed while your somewhere else drinking!:D

It's useful so you can switch gracefully to buying BDs without buying a BD player in every room that you normally watch DVDs. We also now have movies that we'd normally have let my parents borrow - who rarely watch movies - but can't because they don't have Blu-Ray.

People said buy the PS3 because it was future proof, this is kind of the equivalent from the other direction. If you lose interest in this incremental technology and your player dies, you dont have a bunch of media you can't play.

We'll see if it ever happens though.

It would be a good option for another segment - "value" releases. Back catalog titles, especially family films, that would benefit from the HD enhancement but would also be playable in a regular DVD player. Many of these titles have very limited special feature content anyway. Think about the DVDs out there now that are double-sided for fullscreen and widescreen. This could be the replacement - fullscreen DVD and a single layer BD covering widescreen and HD, both on the same side. Sounds like something Walmart would be promoting.

No you didn't. Not a flipper like HDDVD. It is single layer BD (25) with a DVD layer on the same side. I say no thanks also.

S~

Well, I guess I didn't pay that much attention to the DVD bit - my concern was with the fact that they have to cut the BD down to a single layer to make this happen - STAY AWAY, PLEASE!!!!! (the disc, not you :))

The main selling point will be stocking SKUs assuming they can manufacture them cheaply enough. They will be able to put catalog titles on this, a BD without many extras only using 25GB with a DVD, one spot on the shelf for both. Studios could release old titles with just one sku and have it work in either BD or DVD, key is how much it will cost the studio to make.

It would definately be a way to increase the price on catalog titles, many of which sell for $5 to $7 now as a DVD. If the studios released a few to see how they would do, say for $10 to $15, they just may take off.

A combo disc'd be good for retailers because they'd only have to stock one version of a movie rather than stock 2......less shelf space per movie=more room for other movies.

Agreed, as long as the combo disc does not completely replace the dedicated Blu-ray disc. If it replaced the dedicated DVD, that would be great, as long as they were playable in all DVD players. The DVD combo drive on my Toshiba laptop has a hard time playing DVD+RW discs so I have some doubts as to whether or not it would play a Blu-ray/DVD combo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts