It's not IA7

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm not going to scan it and see, but it looks like it might be one of the Anik birds. I say this because the ones starting with C might be local call letters for Canadian locals?

Al

OK, here's a question that I've been trying to answer (in my previous question I said Direct X but I meant GoToX). I went to the GAAPS website and gave them my longitude and latitude (Thanks Pete and Al) :hatsoff: And they said to set my DMSI SG2100 to -1.1 . Is the scale on the motor in degrees and does that mean that it is only 3or4 bumps on to the scale from "0" ? I'd never find my way if I had to depend on my skills with a compass. Thank you WOH I still haven't figured out how to make this look like I know what I'm doing but I have a 1.2m Geosat pro dish with a Sadoun kul1 lnbf ,and a Neusat SP6000 Harold

The scale under the motor is a guide only, there is no way to set it by clicks. I would use USALS and a LIVE transponder to set it up!

PSB said:
Merged threads :)

Its a good idea to keep all your posts on the topic in the same thread, its easier for the members to help you that way :)

I was wondering how poor old IA7 got drug into this. Now I see.

Don't give up, Harold. You'll be much happier with the motorized setup than stationary.

Pete could you or would you elaborate on the "Use USALS and a LIVE Transponder to set it up"? Or point me to where this Info can be found? I have read and reread every post I could find on installing an Sg2100, I've even printed a couple out so I could take them out to my hairy pole with me but no success YET. I've really been trying not to bug folks by asking the same questions over and over. Thanks HRK

I've read that to find your true south that you subtract your magnetic declination from your longitude and that gives youyour true south. so my longitude is 80 -6.14= 73.6 or 74 (to round it off) the satellite that is my closest to true south is AMC5 at 79degrees. When I'm aimed at AMC5 and my motor is on "0" It doesen't seem to be but just a little bit on to the gage To get to 74. Well I'm gona go help my pole grow more hair. I really hope someone can help, I really need to put in a few days working on my Van before Winter (and inspection) :<))

iafirebuff did I do my math wrong? or did you mean my true south satellite is at 72? could you give me a tip on how to identify thees sat's? I feel like I'm learning real fast but I seem to have missed something really important.:hungry: (maybe desert?)

Last edited:
Your math looks right, but the closest satellite would be 72w. I am not sure if they are the same satellite, but AMC6 is at 72w. That is the one I would aim for, blind scan, tweak it to true south satellite and go from there. First, BYPASS the motor, and setup your dish for your true south satellite (AMC6), scan in that satellite so you have something to work with, then hook the motor up, and adjust it for your area. I just installed my motor Friday, and I lined up the motor/dish assy to south (had a compass about 3 feet in front of the pole, on the ground), Then I went into my receiver, entered my lat/long. I then motored to IA6 (my true south satellite), and then I moved/tweaked the motor mount/dish assy while watching the meter on the receiver. I then adjusted the elevation on the dish. Mine went up in minutes! I am still amazed! But i think you better go for the closest satellite to your true south. 72 would be closer than 79.

Your true south IS your longitude so your true south is 80° West. You don't subtract or add anything if you know your longitude.

The magnetic longitude is adjusted from you magnetic compass reading so that you can aim toward your true south. But I repeat, the true south is always your longitude.
Bob

I didn't pay attention to his math, so if 80 is your long, than aim for the satellite that is closest - 79w. I wold first hit it without the motor and scan it in, then go with the motor.

Really good news and a little dit of bad

:D :D :D I went out to tweak on my dish this afternoon and discovered that I had left my lnbf set for a straight line up on AMC5. Sooo I set it to zero and immediately had USALS move my dish to G-10, and much to my suprise when it finished down loading I was watching Wild Wild West. That's the really good news, the kinda bad news is that In my hurry to get my equipment inside (it was well after dark and a really heavy dew was falling) Well i was in too big a hurry and didn't pay attention in tightening the clamps and must have moved the rig just a hair because I couldn't get anything when I got inside but after a few minutes of hair pulling a d much gnashing of teeth I moved the dish about 10 bumps to the east and there it was again. Ill just say a quick thank you to everyone. I'll write a proper thankyou note after I readjust my dish and see at least one or two more sat's. that I ask for download.:hatsoff: :D :D :D :D :up :up Harold Ps all the last set of adjustments were made arround noon on saturday. to my geosatpro 1.2M dish with a DMSI SG2100 mover driven by a Neusat sg6000

Last edited:
I'm officially on the belt

G10, White Springs TV, and IA7 are safely inside my box and all have excellent pictures and sound. I really would like to thank PSB Pete and Voom Voom Al for that all important "First Contact" and all that most valueable Information. And a very big thanks to wescopc for talking me into leaving my dish where it was. And a specisl THANKYOU to Das Hammer and iafirebuff for encouragement and help at a crucial time in the project,which helped me hang in there. Thanks to all those silent people cheering me on, your turn is coming soon. This winter will be a lot more fun than the last couple have been. Now let's see whats next, Humm, I have an old DirecPC rig laying out in my yard, I guess I'd better clean it up and put it in the shed and start reading some old threads. If I missed any one I should have thanked I'm sorry, I'm sure I'll get another chance. One of the newest Junior Satellite Guys, WhiteOakHarold:hatsoff: :D :D :D :up :up

oh yeah your gonna have lots of fun with dishes. the motor is nice but setting up second dish clears the way for multiple tv viewing and game days more fun.
i do have a motor mount but also still have two bucket mounts to tinker with. :)
enjoy

gabshere, I've been seeing folks referring to a "Bucket mount", Is it what the name implies? A short piece of pipe in a bucket of Mudd? (concrete?) WOH

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)