It's Official! Say Goodbye To The 1000.4 WA

Whatever the reason, this is sure embarrassing for Dish.

Can you explain that? Virtually no new customer is going to have a clue about something like that. Other than it may provide a slighly better signal in some cases, who the heck really cares?

I find the .4 WA easier than .2 to set up and get better signals

For western arc it might be easier,because the dish is larger than 1000.2 dish. So Aim it towards the sats and lock it in easy. But true aiming and peaking for eastern arc is a little harder and I see over and over people on this board ,who report lower signal strengths than I get . I don't think that they go the extra steps and tweak the azimuth cam or try to get the elevation rod peaked correctly.

The cost of the lnb for western arc on the 1000.4 dish is only $49.99. I saw this price on a couple of online retailers. The cost of the eastern arc lnb for the same dish is the same price: $49.99. I don't see that price would be the factor. What probably happened is that DISH is stuck with a lot of old 1000.2 sat dishes and they want to use them up . Then again the 1000.4 sat dish is not easy to instal for eastern arc , what with the azimuth cam and the elevation rod . Most people can not even get decent signals on all 3 using eastern arc sats, so I can imagine that doing western arc sats with the same dish might be a little worse than using the 1000.2 sat dish.

It's not about the cost of the .4 Western Arc LNB vs. the .4 Eastern Arc LNB. It's about the cost of the .4 Western Arc LNB vs. the 1000.2 LNB. This is what I've heard from people who deal with that "part" of the company.

Now, that being said, it is so "Dish" that we would go back to the 1000.2 due to surplus. No doubt, a ton of .2 LNBs have been returned from the field due to either upgrades to the Eastern Arc (to get HD locals) or service calls, and as we know, Dish isn't about to toss them in the dumpster.

So are we now sorta in a vicious cycle? How long until Dish has a big enough of a surplus of .4 WA LNBs that have come back in from the field (for whatever reason) that they want to switch back to the .4 dish for a while, and then ... repeat cycle?

Embarrassing? I doubt that 99% of subs will even notice.

You're right. It's only embarrassing to those who follow such things.

Can you explain that? Virtually no new customer is going to have a clue about something like that. Other than it may provide a slighly better signal in some cases, who the heck really cares?

Ok I have stupid Question how do you tell the difference between the two dishes.I just had a new install an don't know how to tell which one I have .All I know its the new black one .And being I'm new to dish I'm Turing to get up to par.

I did a Dish'n It Up a couple of weeks ago after posting a thread with questions here... it is our RV receiver. I got a 1k.4 and was impressed with the "fine tune" adjustments. I even like the charcoal color (but I had to color the bolt heads to match).

After reading THIS thread it sounds like I got the best dish for portable use. Just in the nick of time too.

I'm still mentally engineering something to better hold up the tripod because of the larger size of this dish. I'm thinking a moderate wind could blow it over with just one bungee cord. If anybody has suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Phil

I use a TV4RV.com HD tripod so that I have adjustable length legs to deal with uneven terrain. I use two 5 gallon buckets with about 3-4 gallons each, that gives me from 48 to 64 pounds of ballast. WE haven't had the tripod blow over yet and we have been in some serious winds (60-70 mph). The ballast works on concrete and there is no sticking anything in the ground to puncture a water or electrical line. Photos

I use a TV4RV.com HD tripod so that I have adjustable length legs to deal with uneven terrain. I use two 5 gallon buckets with about 3-4 gallons each, that gives me from 48 to 64 pounds of ballast. WE haven't had the tripod blow over yet and we have been in some serious winds (60-70 mph). The ballast works on concrete and there is no sticking anything in the ground to puncture a water or electrical line. Photos

Thanks Brussam! Very nice tripods. I've saved the site and we'll test our cheap tripod with this new dish in a few weeks. If it's questionable, I'll order that heavy duty one from TV4RV.com. The pricing seems fair.

Phil

OK, Brussam. Tried the cheapie tripod over Memorial Day weekend. It blew over three times. I'm getting one like yours, thanks for the link.

Phil

I am glad. When we heard we were going to the .4, my boss stocked up on about a 6 month supply of .2 dishes. The .4 is a bloated pain in the neck. The .2 has all the signal we need in the NW. Now they are shipping .2s again and we never had to touch a .4.

The thing I think would be the biggest pain would be needing to replace and/or add struts to the mount when doing an upgrade from Dish 500 to 1000.4. There is no need to do that with the .2s. It would be another time consuming thing with no extra pay.

just waiting for the 1k.2 dark gray reflectors. :D:D

I've personally seen quite a few of them the last week here in the L.A. area, and in a news shot of a suspected murderer. Yup, he had the dark gray. It really stood out.

I did a Dish'n It Up a couple of weeks ago after posting a thread with questions here... it is our RV receiver. I got a 1k.4 and was impressed with the "fine tune" adjustments. I even like the charcoal color (but I had to color the bolt heads to match).

After reading THIS thread it sounds like I got the best dish for portable use. Just in the nick of time too.

I'm still mentally engineering something to better hold up the tripod because of the larger size of this dish. I'm thinking a moderate wind could blow it over with just one bungee cord. If anybody has suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Phil

I have a simple but effective soluition. Take the original wall mount for the dish and attach it with tapcons to a 24" concrete stepping stone. When you get to a new campsite you just plop it on the grouind, adjust it so the mast is plumb, and point your dish. This is dead simple to do, gets the dish lower to the ground so it is not easy to blow over, and is much less likely to move

I have a simple but effective soluition. Take the original wall mount for the dish and attach it with tapcons to a 24" concrete stepping stone. When you get to a new campsite you just plop it on the grouind, adjust it so the mast is plumb, and point your dish. This is dead simple to do, gets the dish lower to the ground so it is not easy to blow over, and is much less likely to move
I guess you are lucky to always have flat ground where the dish can get a view of the satellites. We often are setting up on inclines or very rough terrain. Adjustable leg tripod with a good ballast load has worked for us.

I have watched people with ground mounts where they shimmed the base to get the mast vertical. I wtchj them again as they have to re-shim as the breezes work on the mount.

A collapsed tripod and two empty buckets are a lot easier to carry than a 24" stepping stone.

Ouch! My BACK!

When I used to set up a dish in a campground, I used the tripod with a screw coil into the ground. Worked like a champ. Not sure it'd work that well with a 1000.4, but then, I don't plan to try.

And now, with so much broadband around, and the sling adapter, I don't have to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)