It's Toshiba's Turn.

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
When Transformers was hitting the stores Disney pulled the 2 for 1 sale and kept Transformers and HD-DVD from taking the week. This was a great move by HD-DVD.

Now Toshiba takes a page from BD's playbook, the weekend before Disney's biggest BD week with Cars, Rautoille, and Pixars Short Features BD discs hit on November 6th , Toshiba drops their A2 to $98 at the Walmarts they could and offer $15 HD-DVD's with the purchase. Let's see if Toshiba can do to Disney what Disney did to Toshiba and Paramont.

I can't help but think that BluRay has something up their sleve to counter Toshiba's new Blue Light Specials on their HD-DVD players. I for one would like to see BD at least have two BD players at the $199 price and see which format would come out on top.

Also, I wonder how many first time purchasers of the $98 HD-DVD player when they find out on Tuesday that their new HD-DVD purchase will not play the new Disney BluRay titles take the player back for a refund?

Break down and get an HD DVD player, Joe, and see what you're missing.

But, not the $99 Blue Light Special - that's a very nice entry level HD player for the vast majority of HDTV owners with 720p or 1080i. Buy the A35 and see what you're missing with your Onkyo 805 doing the audio decoding. You might even enjoy the Dolby Digital Plus on Transformers. ;)

Last edited:
Also, I wonder how many first time purchasers of the $98 HD-DVD player when they find out on Tuesday that their new HD-DVD purchase will not play the new Disney BluRay titles take the player back for a refund?
You know, I've always considered WalMart to be a pretty Joe-six-packy kind of place. I rarely go there. I have to be honest - this morning the people there buying HDDVD players were not J6p's. They were nicely dressed, articulate, intelligent. I didn't see one single knuckle-dragger. The other customers I talked too were well informed on the features of the A2 and the differences between BluRay and HDDVD. It was an informed decision to buy. Mind you, this was a brand new Super WalMart in an affluent area. I know you don't want to hear this, but the prevailing attitude was "Screw BluRay, THIS THING IS ONLY $98!!!" Nobody appeared to think an HDDVD player would do anything with a BluRay disk other than possibly destroy the thing for spite.

...I wonder how many first time purchasers of the $98 HD-DVD player when they find out on Tuesday that their new HD-DVD purchase will not play the new Disney BluRay titles take the player back for a refund?
This is the one and only thought that would have a chance to introduce some novelty in your spinning technics
in your latest posts (after taking a 36 hour hiatus from this forum) if it wouldn't be stolen from an insider post at br.com
Poor timing by HD DVD. There would still be time to return the HD DVD players once people realize it won't play those movies.

Pathetic, indeed...

Diogen.

This was planned waaayyyy before this. My bet is they started this back in March. I would expect to see another deal like this soon. The key when I was talking to the manager was "allotment." Disney is not selling their animation titles on BD. Meet the Robinsons was beaten by 2nd week transformer sells and free Heroes with the XBox add-on. Yes I bought it before you ask.

S~

LOL, I think sony should cut their losses and just throw in the towel. Seems every other couple days there are more reasons hd-dvd is gonna come out on top.

You know, I've always considered WalMart to be a pretty Joe-six-packy kind of place. I rarely go there. I have to be honest - this morning the people there buying HDDVD players were not J6p's. They were nicely dressed, articulate, intelligent. I didn't see one single knuckle-dragger. The other customers I talked too were well informed on the features of the A2 and the differences between BluRay and HDDVD. It was an informed decision to buy. Mind you, this was a brand new Super WalMart in an affluent area. I know you don't want to hear this, but the prevailing attitude was "Screw BluRay, THIS THING IS ONLY $98!!!" Nobody appeared to think an HDDVD player would do anything with a BluRay disk other than possibly destroy the thing for spite.

Exactly what I saw! Everyone buying knew EXACTLY what they were getting. Everyone I talked to knew it was 1080i, only played DVD and HD-DVD. Most also had a PS3 or a BD player also. Everyone I talked to said something to the effect "I'd have to be an idiot not to jump into HD-DVD at this price" or "I need a second player".

Sadly everyone who had a BD player other than the PS3 talked about some sort of problem with their player and certain movies and yes everyone knows how to upgrade firmware.

Joe, seriously just go purple like me. I started Red only and added a PS3. I love the PS3's functionality outside of games. It's seriously so much more than a game machine and even my wife uses it for many non-gaming functions. I love HD-DVD for the stability in the hardware, combo discs, price (lower in my area than BD movies), and seamless interactivity. Now I have the best of both worlds and I don't regret a single thing and I don't care if one folds cause I don't have to wait for my favorites to be re-released later if one folds. For the price, you seriously can't tell me it's too pricey.

I have to be honest - this morning the people there buying HDDVD players were not J6p's. They were nicely dressed, articulate, intelligent. I didn't see one single knuckle-dragger. The other customers I talked too were well informed on the features of the A2 and the differences between BluRay and HDDVD.

Actually, I saw quite a range when I bought. We had everything from a doctor still in scrubs and folks in suits down to a couple of carpenters and a few housewives. You would think J6P just looking. But listening to the conversation, everybody knew exactly what they were buying. I think we may be underestimating J6P these days.

I predict most of the people that bought the player at Walmart will probably simply use it to upconvert DVDs. My Walmarts did not have them (they did away with both BD and HDDVD movies). But they were quick to point out all the upconverting DVD players that give you HD 1080i, which at $98 the A2 was competitive in price with them. That is the real problem the HD industry faces right now, most people think upconverted DVDs are good enough (they are not even aware of the difference between upconverted DVDs and HD).

I know it would be that way for my parents (I thought I would pick up a new A2 and give them my A1). Dad does not really see much difference between HD and upconverted DVDs and Mom is always too busy with 100 other things while the movie is playing to notice.

I know it would be that way for my parents (I thought I would pick up a new A2 and give them my A1). Dad does not really see much difference between HD and upconverted DVDs and Mom is always too busy with 100 other things while the movie is playing to notice.

Yeah. My parents are the same way. They enjoy while they visit, but that's about it.

S~

I don't think older generations 50 - 70 will ever buy into HDTV anyway. The movies, programming and equipment are just too expensive. They grew up in a much different world. I think this is a 20-50 year old demographic. Thats one reason this war could go on for a very long time.

I don't think older generations 50 - 70 will ever buy into HDTV anyway. The movies, programming and equipment are just too expensive. They grew up in a much different world. I think this is a 20-50 year old demographic. Thats one reason this war could go on for a very long time.

There are a fair number of 50+ yo people on this board though. I'm 58, and I grew up with an ever expanding technology. A lot of my friends are the same way. Besides, those big plasmas are perfect for our failing eyes and high powere receivers for those frail ears :)

Okay guys, I am waiting for the A35 and a good deal on that product. After upgrading my speakers (just purchased a PolkAudio CSi5 center speaker to go with my RTi12s and LX surrounds) and upgrading my AVR to the Onkyo TX-SR805 I think I might put a A35 in there were my Denon3910 currently resides in my rack.

Anyone want a Denon3910? -- Hey - I am not going to give it away!:) (I'm 55)

I'm 56 and have had an HDTV since 2000. I have owned or currently own BetaMax, VHS, Laserdisc, CD, Minidisc, SACD, DVD-Audio, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 receivers, DVD recorders and Players (bought 1st Pioneer when DVD came out), Dish receivers, HDTV receivers,multiple PCs and notebooks. We are the so called baby boomers. We grew up in the times when we did better than our parents and I became a teenager during the 60s, watched the moon landing and saw the 1st episode of StarTrek when it premiered on TV. So I would disagree with your 50-70 statement. I think ALOT of people, regardless of age,buy an HDTV, don't necessarily WATCH HDTV because they don't know crap about it. They just think flat panels are a status symbol. And as for upconverting...I watched Serenity on my HD-A1 in both SD and HD versions. After comparing the two I sold my SD version. No contest. So while people may be conned into buying that $59 upconvert player they are NOT getting almost HD 1080/480= 2.25 Do you think any hardware can extrapolate 2.25. lines for every one enough to be equal to true HD?

Yeah. My parents are the same way. They enjoy while they visit, but that's about it.

S~

I think Warner and Uni have the right idea. Clean up the combo problems,sell them day and date with the SD versions with the same or maybe slightly higher MSRP and then we've got a game on

I think Warner and Uni have the right idea. Clean up the combo problems,sell them day and date with the SD versions with the same or maybe slightly higher MSRP and then we've got a game on

You are talking about the HD/SD combo discs, right, and not the HD-DVD/bluray combo players... assuming you are....

I hate the combo discs and paying more for them. I bought an HD-DVD player to watch HD-DVD movies. I buy HD-DVD movies to watch on my HD-DVD player on my HDTV.

I'd rather not pay extra to have HD/SD when I am never going to watch the SD version of a movie I have HD of.

If they cost they same, fine, but they don't, the combo discs are usually $30, while the HDs that are not combo are usually $25. It is not worth the extra SD version on the flip side of the disc. Not only that, I like the artwork of a disc and hate two sided discs of any kind. I want a label and name of the movie on one side and the readable area on the other.

Okay guys, I am waiting for the A35 and a good deal on that product. After upgrading my speakers (just purchased a PolkAudio CSi5 center speaker to go with my RTi12s and LX surrounds) and upgrading my AVR to the Onkyo TX-SR805 I think I might put a A35 in there were my Denon3910 currently resides in my rack.

Anyone want a Denon3910? -- Hey - I am not going to give it away!:) (I'm 55)
Good luck with that. I haven't seen XA2's below $400 and that (after the next firmware update) is arguably a better machine.

Let me do some backgrounding on that Denon. If it accepts PCM audio over HDMI, I may make you an offer. Scratch that. I just realized that it's a universal player (that doesn't play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray). I own exactly one DVD-audio disc. I'll pass on that one. Someone on Ebay will probably pay $1500 for it. Those folks overpay like that all the time.

Last edited:
You are talking about the HD/SD combo discs, right, and not the HD-DVD/bluray combo players... assuming you are....

I hate the combo discs and paying more for them. I bought an HD-DVD player to watch HD-DVD movies. I buy HD-DVD movies to watch on my HD-DVD player on my HDTV.

I'd rather not pay extra to have HD/SD when I am never going to watch the SD version of a movie I have HD of.

If they cost they same, fine, but they don't, the combo discs are usually $30, while the HDs that are not combo are usually $25. It is not worth the extra SD version on the flip side of the disc. Not only that, I like the artwork of a disc and hate two sided discs of any kind. I want a label and name of the movie on one side and the readable area on the other.

I haven't bought one yet, but the one good use I can see for the combos is for my kids' movies that they want to watch in the car on trips... an HD-format player in one of my vehicles will be a long time coming.

Problem is, all the movies they want are on BD, so I have to make the choice between that and DVD - I make the choice based on whether it's a movie I would like to watch with them. If it is, I go BD for the most part. They've already got plenty of DVD's they can watch in the car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)