SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
I would like to think I have tasted everything but i haven't. I've never had:

Caviar
Fois Gras
Tripe

What about you? What foods have you never had the opportunity to eat?

I'm pretty picky. In addition to what you listed, I may be the only American under 30 who has never tried sushi.

You beat me to it! Haggis is on my list of "might try it once" things. Sounds absolutely disgusting. But then again that's what everyone sez about scrapple, one of my favorites. In fact, their ingredients might be similar except one is pig and the other sheep. (I'm part Scotch, so I guess I have to try haggis at least once.)

Sushi was also on my "once" list, but it's great - one of the reasons Japanese lead long, healthy lives. And a good wasabi whack is right for what ails you...!

Escargot is great, served in garlic butter. Just think of other things as you eat it. Same goes for calamari, but I really love that stuff too, especially lightly battered and fried...

Caviar - don't think I've had it, but willing to spring for the freight if it's not too much.

Foie gras - had it once, nice, but overrated IMHO.

Tripe - Once. ONLY once. Won't be another time.

Escargot - Great stuff! I think of it as a garlic and butter delivery device!

Calamari - Great, if not chewy. Truly wonderful stuff.

Haggis - Willing to try it once, if a gun is pointed at me.

Collards - Never order the stuff, but I'll eat it if put down in front of me.

Chitterlings - Had it once. Looking forward to never having it again. Or smelling it cooking. Did that once on a submarine, part of "diversity."

Frog legs - pretty good.

Rabbit - OK, but doesn't hold that much appeal for me. Served it on the submarine - on Easter. Skipper wasn't too pleased at that.

Raw Oysters - Great stuff. More risky to eat these days, but in April when in Key West I'm downing a few dozen. As a side note, when my father went to college, he was initiated by being required to swallow a raw oyster. Then they pulled the thread back up, and made him swallow it again!

What I'm looking forward to trying: INSECTS! More dense protein than beef. Usually crunchy, but some are eaten squishy. I keep reading where we'll be eating them more in the future, simply as a potentially economical food supply. Popular in much of the (starving) world. Asia, Africa.

Frog legs - pretty good.

Rabbit - OK, but doesn't hold that much appeal for me. Served it on the submarine - on Easter. Skipper wasn't too pleased at that.

Raw Oysters - Great stuff. More risky to eat these days, but in April when in Key West I'm downing a few dozen. As a side note, when my father went to college, he was initiated by being required to swallow a raw oyster. Then they pulled the thread back up, and made him swallow it again!

Couldn't stomach raw oysters (almost literally). I was very disappointed, as I thought I'd like them. Fried or steamed mussels are pretty good.

Rabbit is very good.

I love frogs legs, but don't have them often enough. The last time was in 2007 in the Alsatian town of Riquewihr at the Restauraunt du Cerf. They were wonderful, accompanied by a bottle of crémant d'Alsace.

Attachments

• 15June2007-65.jpg
    15June2007-65.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 15June2007-71.jpg
    15June2007-71.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 15June2007-69.jpg
    15June2007-69.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 198

You reminded me of an occasion many years ago when an older fisherman offered me a raw cohog, he insisted they were best eaten raw and he proceeded to demonstrate. As I recall the speciman was about four inches across and the insides resembled a raw egg minus the yolk. I had had a few elixers and bravely choked down the critter not wanting to appear a wuss but I confess I still shudder when I think of that episode. It neither tasted or looked good.

Last edited:
A raw oyster is almost tasteless. If you slather it with cocktail sauce you won't taste anything else. Now the texture is a different matter. Best to try to just let it slide down and you won't notice a thing. Sometimes a bit of sand is left behind. Wash it all down with your beer of choice and all is good...!

(I liken the texture to a hocker with lumps in it. If you can get one of those back down the oyster is no challenge...!)

BTW, I hear brains are good. Smooth, buttery.

Any takers?
When I was a kid when we butchered a yearling... Scrambled Calf Brains... (before Mad Cow's came along)
Rattlesnake-- hate them, but have eaten, like chicken :D
Rabbit-- Cottentail only after a long cold spell which we haven't really had this year(haven't had in years)...like chicken also :D
Rocky Mountain Oysters -- aka Calf Frys--- Excellent chicken fried, (have cooked over a branding iron fire and cooked till they popped on bailing wire)

As much as I love oysters ("ersters" in these parts) I have the Rocky Mountain variety on my "only after a 6-pack" list! Then again I might wind up at that event Art Mann showcased one day...

Not even after a 6 pack....

And thanks for the pics, jrp. Looks like a great place!

Not even after a 6 pack....

And thanks for the pics, jrp. Looks like a great place!

I highly recommend it. It was even reasonably priced. The commute was, however, a bear.

Rocky Mountain Oysters — not on my request list, but they can be pretty good when properly cooked.

i've never had:
this is without getting into some foods like you see in the show bizarre foods

tongue
rabbit
frog legs
any type of brain
clams
sushi

Caviar - don't think I've had it, but willing to spring for the freight if it's not too much.

Foie gras - had it once, nice, but overrated IMHO.

Tripe - Once. ONLY once. Won't be another time.

Escargot - Great stuff! I think of it as a garlic and butter delivery device!

Calamari - Great, if not chewy. Truly wonderful stuff.

Haggis - Willing to try it once, if a gun is pointed at me.

Collards - Never order the stuff, but I'll eat it if put down in front of me.

Chitterlings - Had it once. Looking forward to never having it again. Or smelling it cooking. Did that once on a submarine, part of "diversity."

Frog legs - pretty good.

What I'm looking forward to trying: INSECTS! More dense protein than beef. Usually crunchy, but some are eaten squishy. I keep reading where we'll be eating them more in the future, simply as a potentially economical food supply. Popular in much of the (starving) world. Asia, Africa.
The Seattle Caviar Company

Haggis is really good...but if you get it in the can its downright disgusting...

sushi....or more specifically, sashimi is a regular in my household.

Game meats are fun to try...I've tried elk, ostrich, boar, bison, alligator, pheasant, goose, rabbit, venison, and quail.

Frog legs are totally cool...very underrated...great snack food if they would just catch on...

But the one thing I never tried and wish I could.....

turtle.

Ostrich is good, sad it didn't catch on. Same for Emu.

Tongue- yes, I need to break down and try it, I hear so much good about it.

Thanks for the caviar link. Uncheap. I'll try something local first, if I try it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)