Jailbreaking iPhone

Spirit. By far the easiest method. Have to admit, I only have iPod touch (2) so check if your particular model (3Gs) can be jailbroken by Spirit.

What s/w version is your phone running currently ?

Disregard the 2nd sentence. Spirit's website, http://spiritjb.com/, says it will jailbreak
Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2 (not 3.2.1).

Spirit. By far the easiest method. Have to admit, I only have iPod touch (2) so check if your particular model (3Gs) can be jailbroken by Spirit.

What s/w version is your phone running currently ?

Disregard the 2nd sentence. Spirit's website, Spirit, says it will jailbreak

I have read that jail breaking is possible with 4.0

I have not updated to 4.0.2 yet because I read that the current jail breaking utilizes holes in PDF, which 4.0.2 fixed.

I am looking for a tethered jail break. Although I will not use tethering most of the time because I think I will be steeling something I am not paying for, I do want the option for those once in a blue moon necessities

You're misunderstanding "tethered" in this scenario. "Tethered" means the phone has to be connected to a PC anytime it reboots. Certain phone and iPod touch models and ones with certain s/w versions req'd this. It was less than ideal... If your phone crashed and rebooted while you're away from your PC, you're SOL.

I suspect you're thinking of "tether" in the sense of sharing bandwidth/data from your iPhone with other devices. Same word but different meaning in this case.

You're misunderstanding "tethered" in this scenario. "Tethered" means the phone has to be connected to a PC anytime it reboots. Certain phone and iPod touch models and ones with certain s/w versions req'd this. It was less than ideal... If your phone crashed and rebooted while you're away from your PC, you're SOL.

I suspect you're thinking of "tether" in the sense of sharing bandwidth/data from your iPhone with other devices. Same word but different meaning in this case.
I was thinking of tethering as in internet hotspot.

Anyway, do you know of where I can go to jailbreak with the iOS4?

the problem is, few of the apps, settings, hacks, ex. work with iOS4. Cannot get the 5 row keyboard to work; I am not going to pay for something like 3G unrestrictor if it is not going to work. I have no idea which ones will work and which ones will not until I install it.

Are you saying you don't want v4 of the iPhone's software ? In some situations, you can downgrade. I've kept both of our iPod touches at v3.1.2 for now... I realize with phones, in order to get newer "radio" software, it's beneficial to update.

Are you saying you don't want v4 of the iPhone's software ? In some situations, you can downgrade. I've kept both of our iPod touches at v3.1.2 for now... I realize with phones, in order to get newer "radio" software, it's beneficial to update.
What I am saying is I have no idea which features on Cydia work with iOS4 and which do not. Anything that requires money will not be purchased by me until I know for sure. Considering all of the free things I have tried have yet to work, I cam even more skeptical. I cannot even get the friggen 5 row keyboard to work even though it is set to 5 row.

If I'm not mistaken there is no tether jailbreak. Seems there was one a few jailbreaks ago but has since been taken away. If I'm wrong about that, I'll be jail breaking again.:)

I am actually restoring my phone. Not only are the few tweaks I wanted to do not available with iOS4, it has caused a few other issues with a couple of my apps not opening.

All is now back to normal. I will wait until the cydia apps become more compatible with iOS4 before I jailbreak it again.

I finally took the plunge and backed up my phone and jailbroke it today. So far I'm quite pleased. Having a lock screen that displays new emails, IMs, calendar items and weather is a big improvement. Throw in the minor UI mods and some texting and other app improvements and this is a win so far for me. Time will tell if I run inti any problems.

Why would anyone want to jailbreak the iPhone??
Doesn't that create more problems than it solves?
Don't you have enough apps already?
Just curious...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)