Joey Operating Temperature

EAGLES

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I was repositioning my joey yesterday and noticed that it was very hot on top where it ventilates. I was so hot that I could keep my hand on it, but it was uncomfortable. Any hotter and that may not be the case. I went and checked my other joey for comparison purposes and it was pretty "warm", but not quite as hot as the first joey. Is this normal? Is there any temp checks in the diagnostic menu? If so, what should it be?

It is normal for the Joey to be hot near the top. Have you noticed any messages about the temperature of the receiver being too high?

To check the temp counter, go to Menu > Settings > Network Setup > Tests. Select 'View Counters' and then use the page down button to scroll through the list until you get to the temperature option.

I've never seen any temperature messages, but I really don't use those joeys too much. I will go home and check the the readings as you described and let you know what they are.

I was repositioning my joey yesterday and noticed that it was very hot on top where it ventilates. I was so hot that I could keep my hand on it, but it was uncomfortable. Any hotter and that may not be the case. I went and checked my other joey for comparison purposes and it was pretty "warm", but not quite as hot as the first joey. Is this normal? Is there any temp checks in the diagnostic menu? If so, what should it be?

Try to determine what's different between the two Joey environments that could explain the temperature difference.

Make sure the Joey is not on top of something that is also very warm or hot.

Also make sure there is ample ventilation and space around and above the Joey. Inside an unventilated cabinet is not a good idea.

If you still have concerns, measure the temperature of the box at it's hottest point and compare with the other Joey. Often a few degrees difference will feel like a lot but won't actually be of concern.

I have a fan on my Joey. It is not pretty but she works good.

Attachments

• JoeyFanPic-2.JPG
    JoeyFanPic-2.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 310
Blowing down? USB powered?

No, I have the xformer version set at 6v and the fan blows up pulling the air thru the Joey. The vendor does have a USB version available. This Joey is out in my garage so the temp can get pretty cold or hot as hell so I can adjust the xformer to run slow or fast. Here is a spreadsheet on how it is doing so far along with the Hoppers.

Attachments

• Hopper - Joey Temps.xls
    35 KB · Views: 161
Hey charlesrshell, where did you get the Joey fan? Was it a custom job done by AV Cabinet Cooling on eBay? Looks kind of like the materials used in my Hopper fan made by them.

Hey charlesrshell, where did you get the Joey fan? Was it a custom job done by AV Cabinet Cooling on eBay? Looks kind of like the materials used in my Hopper fan made by them.

Yes, I got it from AV Cabinet Cooling on eBay. It is his normal stock but he doesn't have it listed yet in his store. He did make me a custom dual fan assembly for one of my Hoppers. It is a smaller version than his normal Hopper fan assemblies. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• 50mmFanHopper.JPG
    50mmFanHopper.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 221
Yes, I got it from AV Cabinet Cooling on eBay. It is his normal stock but he doesn't have it listed yet in his store. He did make me a custom dual fan assembly for one of my Hoppers. It is a smaller version than his normal Hopper fan assemblies. Here is a pic.
Thanks, got a Joey fan on the way. Hopefully I can get my Joey temps to something reasonable (right now it's at 138 average).

Thanks, got a Joey fan on the way. Hopefully I can get my Joey temps to something reasonable (right now it's at 138 average).

Welcome, that is what I heard! I emailed the AV Cool Store and asked him when he is going to list the Joey fan in his store and he told me you contacted him. My Joey is in the garage and the ambient temp is sometimes down to hi twenties My Joey was starting to run higher each day so decided to try out the fan. It has pulled the temp down pretty good so far. Did you get the Joey fan with USB or xformer version? What do you think of the Hopper fan pic in my post? It is a 50mm fan assembly, the normal Hopper fan the AV Cool Store has is 60mm. I think the 50mm looks much nicer.

Welcome, that is what I heard! I emailed the AV Cool Store and asked him when he is going to list the Joey fan in his store and he told me you contacted him. My Joey is in the garage and the ambient temp is sometimes down to hi twenties My Joey was starting to run higher each day so decided to try out the fan. It has pulled the temp down pretty good so far. Did you get the Joey fan with USB or xformer version? What do you think of the Hopper fan pic in my post? It is a 50mm fan assembly, the normal Hopper fan the AV Cool Store has is 60mm. I think the 50mm looks much nicer.
He's sending me both, a transformer and a USB adapter. I'm going to try the USB one first - it's in a room that gets up to high 70's in the summer, so I wasn't sure if the Joey's USB power would be enough to keep it cool, though it will give me a cleaner looking installation if I can use the USB.

The 50mm fan assembly does look nice! My 60mm one is still going strong and doesn't look too bad (plus it's harder to see since my AV shelf is black as well), but I may have to custom order one if the 60mm one dies or I get another Hopper.

He's sending me both, a transformer and a USB adapter. I'm going to try the USB one first - it's in a room that gets up to high 70's in the summer, so I wasn't sure if the Joey's USB power would be enough to keep it cool, though it will give me a cleaner looking installation if I can use the USB.

The 50mm fan assembly does look nice! My 60mm one is still going strong and doesn't look too bad (plus it's harder to see since my AV shelf is black as well), but I may have to custom order one if the 60mm one dies or I get another Hopper.

I doubt the 60mm fan will die soon. I had the AV Cool Store fans on four 722s for over five years and they were still working good. The cool store owner says the smaller 50mm dual fan assembly will cost more because the fans are more expensive. The fans are higher quality and the demand level is lower than the 60mm fans. I have three Hoppers with the 60mm dual fan assembly and one Hopper with the 50mm. The Hopper with the 50mm is more visible and the 50mm looks much nicer is why I wanted it. In my pic you can tell they fit much better but also they are thinner. The 50mm is about ½ inch wide (depth) and the 60mm is about 1 1/8 inch. So it is not as bulky looking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)