Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

It seemed cooler in the computer room, and sure enough, my Mac Pro has nothing to do. I wonder if it's all Macs, or just my ancient Mac Pro 1.1?

I started back up about a month ago.

I can't figure out how many units I have done since restarting up. I would love to know how my new office machine is doing. :)

I started back up about a month ago.

I can't figure out how many units I have done since restarting up. I would love to know how my new office machine is doing. :)
Looks like your are doing about 1300 ppd.
Scott FAH Score.jpg

I would look for a Geforce GTX 750 TI. This baby will crank out the points and doesn't require a 6-pin power connector.
Since the Mac Pro shut down, it's just the Windows CPU client in the basement. TigerDirect is offering $20 off on checkout for Visa Checkout, so I pulled the trigger on a GTX 750 Ti card, $129 to my house.

I debated the GTX 750, but the difference was ~$20, so I went for the extra oomph... ;)

Since the Mac Pro shut down, it's just the Windows CPU client in the basement. TigerDirect is offering $20 off on checkout for Visa Checkout, so I pulled the trigger on a GTX 750 Ti card, $129 to my house.

I debated the GTX 750, but the difference was ~$20, so I went for the extra oomph... ;)
I am getting 30 - 40K ppd from each of my GTX 750 ti's.:biggrin

I see the Mac WUs are available again, so I started Folding on my Mac Pro again. I might install the client on my new iMac just to see how much faster it is compared to the 8-year old Mac Pro it replaces, but it might be tempting to leave it running...

I'm guessing the GTX 750ti card?:biggrin
We have a winner!

I spent a little time reading on the Folding Forum (seems like forever that I was last there) and I'm probably going to need to finally learn Linux. The HP workstation that the GTX 750Ti card went in to came with Windows XP which, while it's still working, may be holding the F@H clients back a little. Some report that switching to Ubuntu raised the PPD by a 5-20% (probably held back by whatever bloatware was present on Windoze). Anyone got a suggestion?

Also, I got excited since I saw the GPU option while configuring my Mac Pro's Client settings, but reading the Forum revealed that GPU support on OS X is still not supported at this time. :(

And just like that, it's dead in the water… I didn't realize it was shut down because of a checksum error. When I try to start Folding back up on the GPU it continues to attempt to download, then the Checksum error, repeat until Fatal Slot shutdown.

I may be back. We'll see if it continues. I had to clean some older copies of the FAH files from the folder tree, but even though it seems to be Folding with the GPU again, it now shows as "UNSUPPORTED".

I've been checking in from afar and it seems that my band-aid fix held over the weekend. Pretty cool to infuse new life into the old HP workstation:
Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 11.14.14 AM.png

A little news update from the Foxbat Folding Farm: After I relocated everything over to the new iMac, my old Mac Pro 1.1 was sitting there, looking all abandoned for not being "State of the Art" anymore. Well, nothing like Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to make a old machine new again. The installation was rather straightforward and after applying updates, it was time for the FAH Client and Control programs. I ended up doing the terminal install when the Firefox download didn't install the Client correctly.

Now that everything seems to be settled down, I have the two dual-core 2.66 GHz Xeon processors in the Mac Pro Folding using the CPU client. So far, it appears to be good for 6,900 PPD. But the one thing I'm now looking at is moving the GTX 750 Ti from the HP since it doesn't need the extra 12V power. I'd need to buy the special PCI-e power cable for the Mac Pro, but the HP has the conventional power available, so it could handle a more powerful graphics card.

Now that I have the one Ubuntu install under my belt, I'm going to convert the HP from Windows XP to Ubuntu since Ubuntu has a future, plus it's 64-bit, and best of all, it's free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voyager6
Another day, another Ubuntu 14.04 LTS node. Say what you will about Apple, but they engineer one heck of a box. The install of Ubuntu on the Mac Pro 1.1 node went very smoothly. Today was the day to eliminate XP and install Ubuntu. Where the Mac was done in under an hour (updates and all) the HP xw8200 with twin dual-core 3.0 GHz Xeons took around two. And once it was running, everything ran like it was in slow motion.

Long story short, downloaded the NVIDIA drivers (twice, the stable version first and then the beta version since my GTX 750 Ti wasn't being recognized by FAH). I thought I could get everything down before lunch, but I finally got everything nailed down and Folding restored a little after 8:30pm. So, my numbers for today may look a little shabby. But according to the FAH Control program, my three machines should now be seeing close to 90K PPD! This will go down when I pull the Folding Client off of the 5K Retina iMac since the fan is too much white noise in the bedroom.
Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.37.46 PM.png
After I had shut down the HP with the GTX 750 Ti, I thought I'd try it in the Mac Pro to see if it would run there. Blackness. Nada. The Mac Pro is a PCI-e 1.0 machine with four full-sized slots. What I wonder, though, is whether or not the GTX 750 Ti exceeded the Mac Pro's allowance for power usage in a slot. It may be possible to add a bigger GTX card, one that requires external PCI-e, which the Mac Pro has headers on the MB for, but it's a custom cable to go from there to the GPU card. I may try this later on. But for now, I have the two Twin Xeons from a Different Mother sitting side-by-side down in the basement office:
FoxbatFoldingFarm.jpg

This is so much better than letting the Mac Pro get turned into a Ford F-150 (said the man who works in the steel industry!)

Hey! Let's welcome the SatelliteGuys Folding Team's latest Points Millionaire, Will94! Way to Fold!!!

After the GTX 750 Ti failure on my 2006 Mac Pro, I was looking for an alternative. I can either get a GTX 970 card (others have verified it will work with the Mac Pro 1.1 hardware) or wait for the cheaper GTX 960/960Ti cards coming in the next month or so. It looks like getting a GTX 780 card wouldn't be cost-effective, and the GTX 6xx cards will probably be the next ones getting cut from the list of allowable GPUs.

The GTX 960 cards are now available. Approximately $205-$239 delivered from NewEgg, with the "best" deal the EVGA 02G-P4-2966-KR GTX 960 card at $209 with free shipping. 1,024 CUDA cores and clocked at 1.279 GHz Core (1.342 GHz Boosted). It uses an 8-pin PCIe power connector but comes with the two 6-pin to 8-pin adapter cable. I just need the Mac's PCIe cables to make that work or harvest the 12 VDC from the optical drive bays.

Getting a GTX 970 card would be at least $329. 50% more CUDA cores, 10% slower clock speed for half again more money. The GTX 980 cards are more than twice as expensive as the GTX 960 cards for twice as many CUDA cores, so it seems the EVGA OC'd GTX 960 is the way to go.

A shame I couldn't get the GTX 750 Ti card to work in the Mac Pro. But it looks like I'm going to regain 4th place on the SatelliteGuys Folding Team in 4 to 5 days.

Did you see where Sony and Stanford collaborated on a Folding client for Android Kit Kat? Link: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2015/01/12/ ... s-disease/ With the GPUs in the latest generation of mobile phones and the huge number of phones, it's possible that Folding on your charging phone could generate more WUs than all the other clients combined!

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Spring Break for my son's high school so I'm taking the week off. One of my projects will the the installation of the EVGA GTX 960 SSC graphics card in my Mac Pro running Ubuntu. I used the Amazon link on SatelliteGuys so Scott gets a little kickback from my purchase. The price was also better than I posted in January, being around $194 ($15 off) but Amazon now charges our state's sales tax, so it was pretty much a wash.

The only thing I'm waiting for are the mini-PCIe 6-pin power cables that take power off of the Mac Pro's motherboard and supply it to the graphics card. Tracking says they should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be cranking out those huge numbers like Scorpy, johninbricknj, and Voyager6 by the end of the week! I just need to remember all the Unix commands I learned last year...

I need to start folding again it has been a long time.