Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Well I should mention that I ordered a 1070 as well and it should be here today. :)

Now one thing I want to make 100% clear is that the money I used to pay for this DID NOT come from the SatelliteGuys Operation Fund. Truth is over 2 years ago I loaned a friend $500 and never expected to get it back and was surprised to get a call from him telling me a check was on its way. On Friday that check arrived... and since the money was given to him from my own personal account I decided to use that money to buy the 1070.

I don't want anyone thinking the money they donated went to buy me a new video card... this is not the case at all.

Just thought you guys should know. :)

Whoops forgot the pic. :)
IMG_1471388013.197901.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: Foxbat
Cat's out of the bag! I ended up with the SuperClocked EVGA GTX 1070 since the FTW variant cost another $20 for maybe 10 MHz faster clocks. This arrived Friday and was up and running in my Dell T7400. The bummer was finding out that I couldn't run my GTX 970 in the same box because there is a lack of PCIe GPU 6-pin cables with the Dell. The GTX 970 from the Dell T7400 was relocated to my Mac Pro, and the GTX 960 that was in the Mac Pro is now sitting on the shelf. The GTX 750 Ti I had originally bought for the Mac Pro is keeping the GTX 1070 company until I can figure out the Power Supply capabilities.

I had used the Amazon link in the header, but since I did it through my iPhone, I wasn't sure if the Link setting transferred into the Amazon App. I asked Scott if he knew (he wasn't sure) so I guess we'll find out. I'm hoping it does!

Below are the pictures:
IMG_4376.JPG IMG_4380.JPG IMG_4381.JPG IMG_4384.JPG
(last one is the GTX 970 in the Mac Pro)

I told you if you got a 1070 you'd fly past me. But did you believe me? OH NO! You had to go ahead and do it. :p:p:p

Whoops forgot the pic. :)View attachment 119481

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Nice! This is the exact model I have. The thing is a beast. Mine boosts all the way up to 2000MHz when gaming. It's only advertised to boost to 1784 but if your temperatures are low and the card is under it's power limit it keeps boosting itself higher. I didn't even bother manually overclocking this time because Nvidia's turbo boost 3.0 works so well on it's own with this card. Temperatures are about 10 C cooler than my old 970 SLI system too.

Cat's out of the bag! I ended up with the SuperClocked EVGA GTX 1070 since the FTW variant cost another $20 for maybe 10 MHz faster clocks. This arrived Friday and was up and running in my Dell T7400. The bummer was finding out that I couldn't run my GTX 970 in the same box because there is a lack of PCIe GPU 6-pin cables with the Dell. The GTX 970 from the Dell T7400 was relocated to my Mac Pro, and the GTX 960 that was in the Mac Pro is now sitting on the shelf. The GTX 750 Ti I had originally bought for the Mac Pro is keeping the GTX 1070 company until I can figure out the Power Supply capabilities.

I had used the Amazon link in the header, but since I did it through my iPhone, I wasn't sure if the Link setting transferred into the Amazon App. I asked Scott if he knew (he wasn't sure) so I guess we'll find out. I'm hoping it does!

Below are the pictures:
View attachment 119484 View attachment 119485 View attachment 119486 View attachment 119487
(last one is the GTX 970 in the Mac Pro)

This was the other card that was in the running for me. I had no complaints with my EVGA SC 970s and I like that their headquarters are in the US. The main reason I went with the Gigabyte G1 is because it was the first 1070 I saw in stock and I have no patience. It's also one of the cheapest, higher end overclocking models at $430.

What's odd, looking at the mix of Projects that I've been woking on, is my less-capable cards are getting the Core 21 WUs, while the GTX 1070 seems to subsist of a diet of Core 18 WUs. The current one is flying by at 13.4 seconds per frame! I think it needs something with more atoms!

Ok have mine installed now.

I had to switch out power supplies as I wanted to keep the 750 TI card in the machine as well and the VGA power cords wouldn't reach from the 1070 to the 750.

IMG_1471448569.148582.jpg

So went from a 500 watt power supply to a 750 watt power supply in this machine.

Which is ok as the other machine (Which also has a 750 ti card in it) is ONLY used for folding.

Here is what it looks like now with the new power supply installed with both video cards installed and hooked up as well.

IMG_1471448707.557095.jpg

I have one monitor hooked to each video card. For some reason the resolution of the 1070 was only 800x600 and the nvidia program was. It seeing the 1070 but was seeing the 750. So what I did was uninstalled all my nvidia stuff and reinstalled it and after the install now it showed both cards.

IMG_1471448869.223418.jpg

Next thing up was did a heaven benchmark test. Not sure if these numbers are good or not but here they are.

IMG_1471448990.812484.jpg

IMG_1471449002.581748.jpg

Nothing is overclocked here.

Went into Folding@home and it could only see one GPU which was the 1070. So uninstalled F@H and reinstalled it. I have it all configured up and both GPU'a are running at full speed.

Here is what it looked like after a few minutes folding.

IMG_1471449131.698910.jpg

Reactions: Foxbat and KE4EST
You are getting about the same turbo boost clocks as I am (2000MHz). That's really impressive for a card that already has a really high base clock at over 1500MHz. Nvidia's turbo boost 3.0 on these new 1000 series cards works very well. It just about matches the best manual overclocks without you having to do it yourself. On the 900 series and older cards turbo boost 2.0 worked but there was always more headroom for those who wanted to manually overclock.

Great write-up, Scott, and it sure is nice to have gobs of open space inside the PC.

My wife and I dropped my son off at college today, so I haven't been around. I checked on my Folding Den after we got back and I can't wait for winter! The Dell Precision T7400 is warm, to say the least! It seems to be the P/S, not the GPUs that are pumping out the heat. Maybe I need to flip the box over and put the P/S on the bottom of the case so the air would be cooler that it's drawing in through the front of the P/S.

I thought about getting an EVGA 750W P2 power supply, but that won't work on the T7400 for two good reasons: 1) the original P/S is rated at 1000W, 2) the MB has a unique connector over by the CPUs which "looks" like a 22-pin ATX MB connector, but some pins are unused. I thought it might be 12 VDC, but the cable disappears under the MB standoff and surfaces by the P/S. Speaking of which,the Dell P/S is about 4-5" longer than a normal P/S, and it has one massive modular plug.

However, I was able to locate another PCI-e VGA power tap, but it's a 10-pin connector, not the usual 6-pin or 8-pin. I was able to force one 6-pin end of the dual 6-into-8-pin PCI-e power cable as it matches up with the 6-pin format. That just left finding another 12 VDC source. I found a pair of yellow & black connectors (like the 4-pin CPU connector) except these were both 2-pin. A little nipping & soldering and I was able to fabricate another 8-pin VGA PCI-e power connection. I pulled the Zotac GTX 750 Ti card out and installed the GTX 960 that been cooling its jets since I got the GTC 1070. Fired it up, and no smoke, always a good sign. The let me move the GTX 750 Ti in to the Mac Pro, and after adding the new GPU slot in the FAHControl program, I was Folding on the 750 Ti as well as the Zotac 970.

It's interesting running the NVIDIA control panel in Ubuntu as it gives great Feedback regarding the Temperature of the card(s) as well as the GPU & memory clock speeds. But the real kicker to me was seeing the PCI-e bandwidth on the old PCI-e Gen 1 MotherBoard. The GTX 750 Ti card had the highest PCI-e bandwidth at 40%, the GTX 9xx and GTX 10xx. Even on the old Mac Pro hardware, it doesn't seem to be slowed down by the PCI Bus. Not bad for an almost ten year old Host.

So as my Folding Farm sets right now, my Dell Precision is a 750K PPD, the Mac Pro is near 380K PPD, and the iMac fills in small gaps with 20K PPD.

Reactions: EatMyVolts
I see Scott's Daily Average is starting to creep upward. He may end up in third place if Scorpy and johninbricknj stay throttled back.

Who's Next? :devilish

Yup just added up todays numbers so far, almost 600,000 today already. :D

Of course my sons Razor's Edge Laptop will stop folding on Friday night so we will lose that one. (Although it won't be a big loss)

Last edited:
Reactions: Voyager6
Over on the FoldingForum, some results are coming in for the GTX 1060 cards. Prices and availability are still indicating its scarcity, but one Folder who has one installed indicates they're getting around 320K PPD. This seems to fit with the anecdotal evidence collected there:
Jejking at FoldingForum said:
nVidia:
  • Titan X Pascal - 1400k PPD, ~250w, 1300 dollar.
  • Titan X - 700-850k PPD, ~230w, 1200 dollar (old price, now 1100-1200?)
  • GTX 1080 - 700-900k PPD, ~160w, 700 dollar
  • GTX 1070 - 600-750k PPD, ~120w, 430-470 dollar
  • GTX 1060 - 330-420k PPD*, ~90w, 290 dollar (around 47% of 1080, based on clocks and chip)
So, the new Pascal-based GTX 1080 is performing on par with the old Titan X, but on 2/3 the power. All the NVIDIA cards availability and prices can be tracked here: http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/

GTX 1060 w/3MB from PNY is currently available on Amazon for $229, no idea how long it will last at the price. Since Folding doesn't put much demands on the GPU's memory, 3GB is way more than enough.

Finally, over at the FoldingForum, Stanford has announced the latest version of the Folding software suite Beta is available: FAHClient V7.4.15 (Open-Beta) Hopefully, this makes it easier for people to start Folding. I'm excited about the Ubuntu 16 support ass my 14.04 LTS nodes are bugging me all the time about updating.
Hopefully, with all this new production, SatGuys will pass ComputerBase by late Friday. :D
EOC is still showing Saturday morning at 10:00 for landing on top of ComputerBase. We'd get there a little quicker if you'd re-align that warp coil of yours, Voyager6.

Last edited:
. We'd get there a little quicker if you'd re-align that warp coil of yours, Voyager6.
Sorry. I have one machine that seems stuck on a work unit. I'll have to remove it and get it restarted on a new one. Another machine was turned off last night.:mad I'll be back in the 800K's real soon. Still looking at a 1070 but may jump on a 1060 at $229.;)

Edit - Ordered the GTX 1060.:D