Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

At least in terms of gaming the 980 is a bad value. The 970 is nearly as strong for quite a bit less money. The 980Ti is almost twice as strong for twice as much money. Most gamers go 970 or 980Ti and completely ignore the 980.
Yep this is the same conclusion I came up with before, was just looking at numbers again.
So I am in the same place Foxbat was in. Do I do a 970 and then another later on, with possibly a price drop coming...or just bite the bullet on a 980Ti. :boom

Reactions: Foxbat
Reading my post again I see that it isn't all that clear. It looks like I'm saying the 980Ti is twice as strong as a 980. What I meant was it is nearly twice as strong as a 970.

Either way I'm not sure you can go wrong if the choice is between two 970s or a 980Ti. Two 970s should be slightly stronger than a single 980Ti but two 970s also use more electricity and put out significantly more heat than a single 980Ti.

Is that for one computer?
That was from my three Folders, two in the basement Folding Lair (I like the sound of that more than "Folding Farm") and the other is my iMac up in the bedroom. The jump in Points is from the new GTX 970 card I installed in the Dell Precision T7400. Details are in my previous posts in the last two-three pages of this thread.
Yep, that's why I got the 980ti.
Sweet! I was looking at a Zotac OC'd 980 Ti (again, further up in the thread) but now I see it's $100 more than it was last week. I guess I had my chance.

Joshua, were you able to get your monitor PC set up with the FAH Control program? I have that on my MacBook Air that isn't much good at Folding (mobile CPU and no GPU to speak of) but I can keep an eye on things from anywhere in the house:
Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 6.24.59 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 6.24.29 AM.png
Also, I can't see your image that you posted in Post #3497 (all I see is a "?"). When I right-click on the image to open it in a new window, it tells me I don't have permission to view images in this album:
Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 6.34.45 AM.png

I'm not sure how you uploaded this or what format it is. Maybe Scott Greczkowski or one of the other Mods can explain.

Last edited:
I managed to pick up a Dell T7400 yesterday for $200 off Ebay. I'll need the extra processing power to keep ahead of Foxbat. ;) Now time to search for a video card.
Item Details :

• Make: Dell Precision T7400
  • Model: Dcd0
  • Processor: Intel Xeon X5460 / Quad Core / 2 Processors
  • Processor Speed: 3.16 Ghz
  • Hard Drive: 146 Gb Sata
  • Memory: 8 Gb Ram
  • Dvdrw Is Included
  • Usb Ports: 2 Front / 5 Rear
  • Tower/Desktop: Tower
  • Coa Sticker: None
  • Software: Not Installed
  • With Msi N9600gt Video Card Included
  • Condition: Used / Working / Left Front And Right Covers Have Scratches

Also, I can't see your image that you posted in Post #3497 (all I see is a "?"). When I right-click on the image to open it in a new window, it tells me I don't have permission to view images in this album:
screen-shot-2016-02-03-at-6-34-45-am-png.113551

I'm not sure how you uploaded this or what format it is. Maybe Scott Greczkowski or one of the other Mods can explain.
Odd it is working here, I even went in and approved his upload. However if I don't log in as KE4EST I can't see it either.

Odd it is working here, I even went in and approved his upload. However if I don't log in as KE4EST I can't see it either.

I've never really uploaded here before so I wasn't sure how. I uploaded to my media on here and then inserted the link into the post. Not sure that is best way.

That was from my three Folders, two in the basement Folding Lair (I like the sound of that more than "Folding Farm") and the other is my iMac up in the bedroom. The jump in Points is from the new GTX 970 card I installed in the Dell Precision T7400. Details are in my previous posts in the last two-three pages of this thread.Sweet! I was looking at a Zotac OC'd 980 Ti (again, further up in the thread) but now I see it's $100 more than it was last week. I guess I had my chance.

Joshua, were you able to get your monitor PC set up with the FAH Control program? I have that on my MacBook Air that isn't much good at Folding (mobile CPU and no GPU to speak of) but I can keep an eye on things from anywhere in the house:
View attachment 113550 View attachment 113549
View attachment 113551

Yes, I set up my laptop at home to monitor the two desktops running at home and then set up my laptop at work to monitor the servers at work.

I've never really uploaded here before so I wasn't sure how. I uploaded to my media on here and then inserted the link into the post. Not sure that is best way.
To the right of the "Post Reply" button, hit "Upload a File", browse, find, select, etc.
Then insert thumbnail into post........then hit Post Reply. :)

To the right of the "Post Reply" button, hit "Upload a File", browse, find, select, etc.
Then insert thumbnail into post........then hit Post Reply. :)

Man do I feel like an idiot. I looked and looked at the top tool bar and totally missed that at the bottom and to think I'm in IT. :coco

No biggie, I know what you mean though, I have looked for something like that before and it be right under my nose, and I am just trying to over complicate it. :D

I managed to pick up a Dell T7400 yesterday for $200 off Ebay. I'll need the extra processing power to keep ahead of Foxbat. ;)
Have you seen what Joshua M is bringing to the party? I don't think it's me you need to be worried about!
Now time to search for a video card.
Item Details :

• Make: Dell Precision T7400
  • Processor: Intel Xeon X5460 / Quad Core / 2 Processors
  • Processor Speed: 3.16 Ghz
That is a sweet box, just weight (I mean it, too!) until you unbox this monster! And at a great price, too.

FAH sure likes the GPU in my main computer. It's offering some pretty decent bonuses for doing the WU right away. The 2nd computer which is doing four WUs at once on an i7 quad core isn't getting near the pay. I set next-unit-percentage 99% instead of 98% and set the expert option client-type advanced. I'll check and see if that helps a bit.

I'm not setting any flags. I tried looking but most of what I found was from older versions of the client. Should I be setting any?

Should be able to start getting my other servers setup tomorrow...

Reactions: Foxbat and Joshua M