Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Also, I'm sure you guys already know this but if you want to run 2 970s you should have a high quality power supply with at least 750W. I have an EVGA G2 Supernova 850W in my system and it has been running everything well for quite a while.

Reactions: Foxbat
SatGuys has now settled into the #95 spot for the week.:clapping

I am in the uncomfortable #4 spot with three other SatGuys hard on my heels. Where is my T7400? I have to up my game significantly. Well a GTX 980 is on it's way.

Second 970 up and running (I needed a shoehorn to fit it in my case)
I know you buttoned up the case, but did you grab any pictures while you were shoehorning the new GTX 970 in?
Well a GTX 980 is on it's way.
GTX 980 or GTX 980 Ti? I mean, Go Big or Go (Fold at) Home...
I guess I was premature. It is now 2 Million Points in a week. JoshuaM is the man. :bow
Congratulations, JoshuaM, for reaching 3,000,000 Points! Voyager6 needs to amend his post (again!)

Reactions: Voyager6
I know you buttoned up the case, but did you grab any pictures while you were shoehorning the new GTX 970 in?GTX 980 or GTX 980 Ti? I mean, Go Big or Go (Fold at) Home...Congratulations, JoshuaM, for reaching 3,000,000 Points! Voyager6 needs to amend his post (again!)
Just a GTX 980 not a Ti.

Congrats again to JoshuaM. It looks like he is settling in at 600K PPD, for now.

the team leader,Tofuwombat, of those badbirdies that blew by us recently must have some hardware going. He has 21 of their 23 clients, just three members folding in that team.

I have a magnetic Wombat on my refrigerator, but all of the Folders on that team are made of Tofu.

I have been a sateliteguys member for a long time and have been folding for the team off and on for about a year. Now I'm getting serious. I just installed a GTX 960 on my machine yesterday and its about to finish its 1st WU in about 3 hours. Its showing an estimate of 11200 points! I also have a PC being built that should be here next week. Its going to have a GTX 980 AMP. Once I get both up and running it should really help the team out!

Just a GTX 980 not a Ti.

Congrats again to JoshuaM. It looks like he is settling in at 600K PPD, for now.

I had hoped to get my servers going by now but it didn't quite work out. Should hopefully get them up by Tuesday, they should turn about 650K a day. Hoping to break the 1 mil per day mark.

Yep, just a 980 AMP, not Ti. Couldn't go the extra $$ right now. But will hopefully be able to add another 980 AMP is 6 months or so.

Yep, just a 980 AMP, not Ti. Couldn't go the extra $$ right now. But will hopefully be able to add another 980 AMP is 6 months or so.

Keep in mind that for folding you don't have to necessarily match your GPUs. For example, could run a 980Ti and 750Ti in the same machine at the same time if you wanted. Getting identical models is only important for SLI programs like games.

The point is that if you find a better deal for a different model 900 series card or even one of the new Pascal cards coming out later this year you can throw it in there with your 980 and use it for folding.

As far as I have seen on my PC each GPU always gets its own work unit and they work independently of each other. Getting different cards might mean one card is capable of folding faster than the other but I don't think there should be any negative effects.

Just don't mix AMD and Nvidia GPUs and you should be fine. Their drivers are known to create conflicts if they are both installed on the same PC.

Thank! I will go for the TI in that case.
I will run the 980 AMP and Ti together. I will have a 900 watt power supply so that should be sufficient. The PC will be used only for Folding.

You may want to wait until Pascal comes out before buying another GPU if you are going to be waiting a few months anyways. You might be able to get close to 980Ti level performance in the 970 price range.

The 970 that launched at $330 is very close to the 780Ti that launched at $699 in the previous series.

Reactions: Foxbat and samy60
Thanks for the information.
Well, my WU finished and I was all excited about the points. Unfortunately, it has been setting in the send for over 30 minutes. Of course the points keep clicking lower while it sets there.
I dont think there is any way to force it. Oh well, at least I know the 960 has pretty good performance!
Thanks for all your help King3pj

Sometimes you have to restart the client to get it to send. In some cases reboot the whole machine.