Journal of my two satellite dishes going up, beginning to the end

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hello everyone,
Well things are starting to finally come together! It did seem that for a while it was like taking a step forward then a few steps back. Yesterday we put in both mounting support poles in. The 3” for the 10’ Unimesh and a 4” pole for a larger dish that I’m looking for. Whether that would be the 12” dish from down the street or another becomes known to me. We buried the 3” pole 5’ deep into a 20’ x 20’ inch hole. The 4” was buried nearly 8’ into the ground. The sand in the hole kept giving way collapsing all the dirt into the hole we were digging. We stopped at 7'6' approximately.

After finishing the work we stood back and took a look at the poles. As deep as I had buried them they were still high off the ground. They are nearly 10’ high or more. One of my friends who were helping me told me that he would come over on this coming weekend and torch some length off the poles. I was thinking at the same time that may be a bad idea as it would hinder the reception of the digital feed. I know it’s supposed to be level all the way around. I was also wondering how I was going to put on the dishes. I remembered the guy that owned the now out of business satellite store and how he used what is called a “Dish Crane”. I tried finding that on the Internet. I did find a site on installing a dish that I thought was interesting. Satellite Dish Install On the page it showed in one of the images a photograph of a tool used to cut pipes. See photo: “sat300”, to look at tool.

I looked all over the place to find such a tool. I was also looking for a dish crane too. No such luck. I stopped by the small dish operator and left a message for him to call me. He’s coming tomorrow to look at the poles and said he could cut them off and put a cap on them. What do you think? Save them the current high size? Or cut them down to a high but not so short size? I want to be able to mow around the area of the dishes. Keep in mind one is a 10’and the other one whether it’s from down the street or from Skyvision will be 12’ footer.

I’m enclosing some photos of the poles. It will be like my Journal of putting up my Satellite Dishes. Starting with poles first. Also I’m putting in some satellite photos of my house. The X X behind the house is the satellite dishes location. With a shot of a clearing of the trees for the signal to go through it. There is a nice spot between the trees in the south 213 degree direction.

I also got a call tonight from the guy who gave me the dish and he told me I could use the Dish crane this weekend. I’m going to take a good look at it, take some picture of it and put them here. It’s an amazing tool!

Thanks everyone.
Tom

Attachments

• sat300.jpg
    sat300.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 492
  • home.jpg
    home.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 402
  • homebirdview.jpg
    homebirdview.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 395
  • 3inchpole01.jpg
    3inchpole01.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 388
  • 3inchpolebase.jpg
    3inchpolebase.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 4inchpole01.jpg
    4inchpole01.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 4inchpolebase.jpg
    4inchpolebase.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 4inchpolelevel.jpg
    4inchpolelevel.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 376
  • poles_01.jpg
    poles_01.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 384
  • poles_02.jpg
    poles_02.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 424
What are those funny green things? And all those funny rectangular things around the XX's.... Oh yeah, you must live in a city! Neat pictures, thanks for posting. I plan on getting my poles up soon. I passed building inspection this morning, so I can get working on Sat. TV'ng again.

(There are only 2 trees in our section, And I think we have the only buildings in this section. Our closest neighbor, 1600 feet away, has trees!)

funny rectangular things

What are those funny green things?

Why those are trees You will find them in most areas. I did live for a time in Wyoming and you didn't trees like these, very scarce mostly seeing Sagebrush.
And all those funny rectangular things around the XX's....
Those would be homes that people live in. hehehe
Oh yeah, you must live in a city!
No not really.
Neat pictures, thanks for posting. I plan on getting my poles up soon. I passed building inspection this morning, so I can get working on Sat. TV'ng again.
Thanks and good luck on your build.:D

(There are only 2 trees in our section, And I think we have the only buildings in this section. Our closest neighbor, 1600 feet away, has trees!)
Oh, you must be in Wyoming too. ;)

Tom.... I would leave the poles the height they are if you can get that dish crane, then that would be great man. better than arm wrestling that monster lol good luck man:hatsoff:

UPDATE on PROGRESS

Tom.... I would leave the poles the height they are if you can get that dish crane, then that would be great man. better than arm wrestling that monster lol good luck man:hatsoff:
Yes, After giving it some thought I'm going to keep them the same size. They may be tall, however I need the lenght to get above some of these pine trees around here.

I did chop 4 trees down that would have cause a poor signal. So according to my compass, I should be good to go between 213 and 240 on the compass directions.

Also took of mount off of my Unimesh as I took a close look at it I noticed that the mounting brackets were rusting out. One side was complety gone and the other side was nearly gone. I'm going to take the mount to a welder and have him fabricate some new ones. Also taking off all of the bolts and replacing with stainless steel. Wow, some of those bolts are really bad!! From the looks the big bolts on the mount are so badly rusted they may be able to replace or free up and be able to put down new grease.

Another thing, I did call the guy about the 12 footer.... he was out of town. Did not get a call from him even though I see that he is now home. Not going to approach him right now. I have the 4" pole up, so maybe somethingh else will come my way in a 12' dish? Just waiting to see.

Thanks,
Tom
:D

Attachments

• UNIMESH_10ftbracket.jpg
    UNIMESH_10ftbracket.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
That sounds like an old C-band only lnb. You may want to get c and ku . When you get to the tuning part of the dish, when you tune ku it is very touchy. I fought with my 10 footer to get ku focused in and now it is great.

Leaving the height of your dish is probably a good idea as it gives you some insurance against tree growth.
I carried my 10 footer (sami mesh -pretty lightweight) up a step ladder and put it on the mount. I put the mount on the pole first.
That unimesh may be a lot heavier than mine.

You could get a couple of buddies with step ladders and get it up there (Not OHSA approved I'm sure). Just be careful and not hurt yourself.

I have never lived where the soil is sand. That looks like a real challenge to get enough concrete base to keep everything from moving around.

Did you fill your poles with a soupy mix of cement? this will help to keep your dishes from waving in the wind.

Sand for soil

That sounds like an old C-band only lnb. You may want to get c and ku . When you get to the tuning part of the dish, when you tune ku it is very touchy. I fought with my 10 footer to get ku focused in and now it is great.

Leaving the height of your dish is probably a good idea as it gives you some insurance against tree growth.
I carried my 10 footer (sami mesh -pretty lightweight) up a step ladder and put it on the mount. I put the mount on the pole first.
That unimesh may be a lot heavier than mine.

You could get a couple of buddies with step ladders and get it up there (Not OHSA approved I'm sure). Just be careful and not hurt yourself.

I have never lived where the soil is sand. That looks like a real challenge to get enough concrete base to keep everything from moving around.

Did you fill your poles with a soupy mix of cement? this will help to keep your dishes from waving in the wind.
Thanks Truckracer,
A c-band only, oh well. At least I have the dish to go with. :D
Sounds like a good idea as to put on the mount on the pole first, then the dish, then the actuator. I might have to get a new actuator too. Got to check the one I have now and see if it works. I was looking for a red and black wire to test on my truck battery to see if it works. It has a red, white, and a 3 strand wire wrapped in blue plastic looking paper ant that one has a orange, green and brown wire. Not sure what color to put on the battery to see if it works?

For my 10 footer I had a 3" x 16' pole. I buried that in a hole about 22" around and 5 feet deep. I also put rebarb through the pole to stop iut from turning in the dirt. The other pole was a 4" x 20' foot pole. I buried that one a couple inches shy of 8' deep. The hole was a lot larger around because of the dirt falling back into the hole. Everytime I would get a foot another half a foot would fall in! !sadroll When it got close to my target of 8' I left it at that. There were so many bags of cement that was mixed I lost count. I know that it was over 30 bags of 80lb. bags. both with rebarb in the poles. I doubt if the wind will pick those poles up. I have a friend down the street who is a painter and when the dish is ready after I get back from the welder tomorrow he is going to paint it for me. So it should look brand new. Just as long as its not a meltalic paint I'm told.

Thanks again,
Tom

tom there should be bigger gauge wires, usually red and black. or white. and red. but the small lil wires are for your reed sensor. you can check ur arm with the red and black or the red and white. hope this helps man. good luck , give me a call if ur arm doesnt work i got plenty of them as we spoke about the other day.

actuator

tom there should be bigger gauge wires, usually red and black. or white. and red. but the small lil wires are for your reed sensor. you can check ur arm with the red and black or the red and white. hope this helps man. good luck , give me a call if ur arm doesnt work i got plenty of them as we spoke about the other day.
Steve I checked out the actuator using the red and white wire on my trucks battery. It did not extend out at all. However it did turn and move the arm clockwise. I moved it back to the position it was in to begin with and tested again and it moved as before. So maybe the other wires move the arm out to extend it? I think it should be fine?? Will do as you suggested with using emery cloth on the arm to remove the years of rust.

Thanks,
Tom:D

Image of mount

Testing to see if the imags comes out any bigger.
UNIMESH_10ftbracket.jpg

The mount is now at the welders and when he gets ready to work on it he says he's going to give me a call. Its missing two brakets that hold onto the dish. He has to fabricate those. I will be taking pictures of it and putting it into this Journal here on this thread.
Thanks Jody!!
Tom:)

Testing to see if the imags comes out any bigger.
UNIMESH_10ftbracket.jpg

The mount is now at the welders and when he gets ready to work on it he says he's going to give me a call. Its missing two brakets that hold onto the dish. He has to fabricate those. I will be taking pictures of it and putting it into this Journal here on this thread.
Thanks Jody!!
Tom:)

Glad to help Tom. I'll let the experts guide you on the tech questions for your project, but if you need any more help inserting pics into your posts I'm here for ya! :D

Steve I checked out the actuator using the red and white wire on my trucks battery. It did not extend out at all. However it did turn and move the arm clockwise. I moved it back to the position it was in to begin with and tested again and it moved as before. So maybe the other wires move the arm out to extend it? I think it should be fine?? Will do as you suggested with using emery cloth on the arm to remove the years of rust.

Thanks,
12 Volts will not drive the arm, but it did show that it does work - so do not throw it away. You were on the right wires. The screw turned. Someone with more knowledge may give more information, but if I remember right, when the arm is mounted the tube holds straight so instead of turning the internal nut makes the arm run in or out. (It has been 15+ years since I used one - I have one to put back in service.)

if I remember right, when the arm is mounted the tube holds straight so instead of turning the internal nut makes the arm run in or out.
Yes. If the actuator arm is not mounted, it will just turn with the motor.
Problem with doing that tho'... if you run the motor with the arm loose OR if you turn the arm by hand, the limit switches will then be off.
You will definitely want to get that straight before you mount the actuator.
If the arm is too far extended, it could come completely out and drop the dish.
Too far in and it could cause a lock up and damage the motor.
The way I've done this in the past is to run the motor all the way in (in my case that has always the westward movement) until the limit switch stops the motor, thread the arm in by hand all the way in until it stops - then back off a turn or two.
Of course I then mount the arm and run it all the way east and make certain that the other limit switch catches before it drops the dish!
I'm having problems figuring out all the new stuff... glad I can still help on the old! (or maybe I'm just showing my age, eh?)

12 Volts will not drive the arm

12 Volts will not drive the arm, but it did show that it does work - so do not throw it away. You were on the right wires. The screw turned. Someone with more knowledge may give more information, but if I remember right, when the arm is mounted the tube holds straight so instead of turning the internal nut makes the arm run in or out. (It has been 15+ years since I used one - I have one to put back in service.)
Hi rv1pop, yeah I was talking to Chefwan and he was saying that putting it (the wires) on the truck battery will make it move if the armis any good. That the battery is pushing only 12 volts and when its hooked up it will be running 36 volts. I'm just happy to see that the actulator still works! After all those years of just sitting there. Got to take some emery cloth on it and get the rust off. Question for you guys here. I'm planning on repainting the dish to protect it against the elements. Should I paint (with Rustoleum) the actualator after I get the rust off or leave it alone?
Thanks,

C band dishes going up.

Nice work Thomas. I always like to hear of C band dishes going up. The pictures are great.:)
Hey Corrado,
You can call me Tom, not trying to be so formal here.;)

Thanks I got the heavy duty mount at the welding shop. There were four brakets on the Hoop/mount. Two were still good, One was just about gone and the last one made like a decaying tree it was gone! So that is getting fixed. I told the guy that I'm making a journal of a C-band dish coming back a live again and that I would like to be there to take pictures of him working on it so I could post it on the site. He's going to let me know. Cool! Been taking off all the rusty old bolts that were on the dish and replacing them with stainless steel. Geez some of those bolts looked like they were all chewed out like a Beaver takes to wood! After I got all of thm replaced I'm going to give the dish a good cleaning and degreasing to take off all the mold and scum off of it. Then I have this buddy who owns a painting business and he said he would paint it for me. Was thinking of the colors to paint it. Back to Black like before. Or going with a green to match the color of the pine trees out here. Or going with a color that can be seen by Satellite like a fire (kinda like your car in your avatar Truckracer) engine red, so I can see my dish from space!:D I got a about a week to make up my mind. I've always have been somewhat of a non conformist. They say Big Dishes are obsolete, so I want two to put up! Maybe I wll get three and paint them Red White and Blue! hehehe:rolleyes:

Anyway I will keep you all posted with the progress and new photo's.

Thanks,
Tom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)