Jumped in on an AZBOX today!

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Finally made the plunge on an AzBox today. Should be here hopefully within a week. I got tired of my pansat 9200 just locking up and am moving on to a AZbox Ultra. I got mine off of ebay from that dealer in Miami as I cant support sites that openly try to kill the FTA community. Neverless, I hope to get to know the box very well and I look forward to joining all of you FTA guru's with my newest addition to my setup.

My plan is using usuals for KU HH motor & Diseq 1.2 for Cband with my Gbox, all together on a 22khz switch. I dont think I will have any issues setting this up, but is there a way that I can setup a North American list with these settings that I can load into the receiver after I set it up? I'm just trying to streamline things.

Thanks for your help guys and gals!

goaliebob99 said:
Finally made the plunge on an AzBox today. Should be here hopefully within a week. I got tired of my pansat 9200 just locking up and am moving on to a AZbox Ultra. I got mine off of ebay from that dealer in Miami as I cant support sites that openly try to kill the FTA community. Neverless, I hope to get to know the box very well and I look forward to joining all of you FTA guru's with my newest addition to my setup.

My plan is using usuals for KU HH motor & Diseq 1.2 for Cband with my Gbox, all together on a 22khz switch. I dont think I will have any issues setting this up, but is there a way that I can setup a North American list with these settings that I can load into the receiver after I set it up? I'm just trying to streamline things.

Cool at least u didnt buy it from Rick LOL.. good move :)

GoalieBob,

You are going to have to prepare yourself to expect to experience issues with your new AZBox. It is the nature of the beast. It is an excellent receiver and I love it. I own three (two Premiums and one Premium Plus) and I do recommend them, even with their quirks. I am sure that you will come to love them, too.

Read the threads regarding "HOW TO N.A. your AZBox" and the "A-Z Guide" compiled by StarGaze. Read these ahead of time, print them out and highlight the points to follow in advance. This will help you prepare. I have posted some advice threads for specific topics as well, but all the information is contained in the "A-Z Guide". In my threads we actually walk through certain excercises step by step and discuss some of the problems that may arise.

Read the stickies and other posts here and you will arm yourself with a great deal of advanced knowledge. The actual AZBox manual leaves out many of the nitty gritty details, but make sure that you download it and read it, too. It is actually a better manual than most other receivers have. It is 158 pages.

I am generally quite modest, but I am very proud to say that we have the most condensed and detailed and accurate instructions for the AZBox right here on SatelliteGuys! You will find it difficult to locate all the information contained here at any other site. Please take good advantage of everything that we have compiled here so far. We have amassed much information in a short time and you will want to review it all.

Wishing you good luck and much fun!

RADAR

I can deal with qurks and software bugs. I'm understanding of that, but what I cant deal with is the reciver locking up every time you go to scan in feeds, (that's what my pansat does). I'm excited to be getting an AZbox and probably will be reading the threads here. I'm happy that I'm finally getting one though!

I can deal with qurks and software bugs. I'm understanding of that, but what I cant deal with is the reciver locking up every time you go to scan in feeds, (that's what my pansat does). I'm excited to be getting an AZbox and probably will be reading the threads here. I'm happy that I'm finally getting one though!

There is a wealth of info here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/azbox-discussion/232104-z-users-guide-azbox.html

The pdf file you want is version 2.4 not the one at the top of that thread. It is near the bottom of the first page.

Get used to working with some editor programs to complete the tasks that need to b taken care of.
A great program which has everything in one is called "Toolbox Azbox HD" version 1.2 if you can find it has worked for me.

Ive had my ultra about a month now and since i redid the satellite list i havent had any problems!so take care of that satellite list first!read what radar and stargaze have to say about that!Zero freeze ups so far.

I've had my Azbox elite for about a year now... once you get past all the cursing and swearing, it'll treat you right 90% of the time. The other 10% is an unattainable goal by almost every STB on the market today. My list of pros and cons...
+ it does 4:2:2 feeds (SD and S2)
+ it doubles as a media player
+ great picture quality
- it won't record high bit rate HD (does ok with PBS feeds and other HD however)
- I've had issues when messing too much with the channel list
- Infrequent reboots when things "don't work correctly"
- Blind scan on the Elite is somewhat crippled and slow since it's software based.(not sure if the newer models have addressed this issue)

I use an old Norsat analog receiver to move my Cband dish, so I'm exempt from all Gbox/Vbox issues. I use USALS with a SG2100 for Ku motor control.

Scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 7.5

Just my opinion.

Since I got most of the problems of dish alignment squared away and getting tutors from Stargaze and Radar on usage I am really enjoying my AZBox Ultra!
Excellent picture and great features. Love the recording (PVR) feature. Internet would be good if I had very good connection.
Only problems is no manual (Ultra) and sloppy DiSEqC 1.2. Go with USALS all the way when you receive your receiver.
Best receiver!!!

I've had my Azbox elite for about a year now... once you get past all the cursing and swearing, it'll treat you right 90% of the time. The other 10% is an unattainable goal by almost every STB on the market today. My list of pros and cons...
+ it does 4:2:2 feeds (SD and S2)
+ it doubles as a media player
+ great picture quality
- it won't record high bit rate HD (does ok with PBS feeds and other HD however)
- I've had issues when messing too much with the channel list
- Infrequent reboots when things "don't work correctly"
- Blind scan on the Elite is somewhat crippled and slow since it's software based.(not sure if the newer models have addressed this issue)

I use an old Norsat analog receiver to move my Cband dish, so I'm exempt from all Gbox/Vbox issues. I use USALS with a SG2100 for Ku motor control.

Scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 7.5

Just my opinion.

Since I got most of the problems of dish alignment squared away and getting tutors from Stargaze and Radar on usage I am really enjoying my AZBox Ultra!
Excellent picture and great features. Love the recording (PVR) feature. Internet would be good if I had very good connection.
Only problems is no manual (Ultra) and sloppy DiSEqC 1.2. Go with USALS all the way when you receive your receiver.
Best receiver!!!

Oh, the blindscan is slow, but I can work around that by resetting the parameters to save time for it. Doesn't scan everything in but still effective.

Yes,

That has pretty well summed up everything.
I would give the Premium Plus a rating of 8.9 though. No receiver deserves a 10.0, but this is coming very close.

RADAR

I bought mine from Ricks. Have been his customer for a few years now. No complaints what so ever. There was a issue about his post posting feeds on his site if I remember right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts