Just completed alignment for SkyAngel

Lynn Blakely

Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
I am new to this forum. I just had a fustrating time setting up the dish. The house had a 500 dish on the house. I have a 1000 receiver. When I hooked the receiver to the dish I got the Dish Network information channel. Then I went to the setup and alignment menu, to get the coordinates. Then moved the dish and got a good signal. Next I called Skyangel to get my account activated. They said I should see ch 580. I
could not. They told me I had to get a good signal on transponter 25 and 32, and be able to see the information channel 580. So I took down the 500 dish and replaced in with the dish that came with the 1000 receiver, aligned it and got a good signal,
then I could see channel 580 and have a good signal on both transponder 25 and
32. So then I went to the SkyAngel site and gave them the necessary information to have my account activated. So tomorrow will be the second day, and they said it will take 2 to 4 days. I am waiting.
I have not installed many systems and was thinking some of you might like to know what happened, and maybe learn from the experience I had. Or some of you might like to comment.
Thanks for listening.
Lynn Blakely retired electronics technician.
lynnslb@sbcglobal.net

Welcome to SatGuys Lynn.

You should be getting Sky Angel soon. Sky Angel has to notify Dish Network to add you so sometimes it takes a while.

I am really surprised Sky Angel does not have a FTA Channel which is just an advertisement for SkyAngel which would let people know they are out there and easier for people to do installs.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am really surprised Sky Angel does not have a FTA Channel which is just an advertisement for SkyAngel which would let people know they are out there and easier for people to do installs.

Wouldn't adding an FTA channel mean adding another channel? Sky Angel is limited to the number of channels it has. Angel One is FTA on one of the Dish Network satellites and they advertise the Sky Angel deal on that program. It's probably the best they can do.

It does not need to be a high bit rate channel, just something showing a loop, this way you know your on the correct Satellite (and that your equipment is working fine) and in addition advertises that there is a third DBS service in the USA.

Channel 580 is on 61.5 via Dish (not Sky Angel)...it is the same content as 101 and is FTA (well, with a FTA box you can see it. i dont know about Dish receivers)

rememeber its 2-4 business days
from TNGTony's ekb item
This unique arrangement with Echostar is not without its faults. The Sky Angel Programming should be ordered directly from Dominion (1-888-SKY-ANGEL). Since Dominion is using the Echostar uplink facilities to deliver the signal to the viewer's home, Dominion notifies Echostar to activate a customer. This will take anywhere from two to four BUSINESS days. This means if Sky Angel programming is ordered on a Friday evening after "regular" office hours for Echostar, it MAY take up to the following Thursday before the programming is activated. This is a worst case scenario and is usually completer in two business days. Sky Angel has no control over this at the moment. Please remember, they want to get programming to you as soon as possible too!

Hi: I read all the previous posts on this forum an soon as I got access. So yes I know about the 2 to 4 day latency on getting activated.
One question what is FTA, just learning some of the new nomenclature, about satlellites. Thanks for making me feel at home.

Free To Air (FTA).

Some people use different dishes and receivers to pick up unscrambled satellite TV & radio feeds which broadcast from multiple satellites.

SatGuys has the best FTA forums if you want to learn more about it.

What I still don't understand (being a lifetime SA* sub) is why they don't just make 9701 / Angel One FTA at 61.5. It's FTA at 119 anyway. What would be the harm? It would also give them one more opportunity for "channel flippers" to stop, since some customers have a dish pointed at 61.5 for HDTV, LIL, Intl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts