Just got voom installed!! Brand new software??

bryan27 said:
Bring back the Closed Caption on Mute function. CC does work on Version 5.68 as I have been using it on the SD channels, but it appears that there isn't in CC on the exclusive channels.QUOTE]

This function never served any purpose. The problem was that the Voom remote only mutes your TV and not the Voom audio output itself so therefore CC on mute had no function what so ever. It never worked and can't work because the Mute button does not control Mute on the Voom box it only is capable of muting your TV. The only way this would work is if Voom decides to change the function of the Mute button to actually mute the audio output of the STB not the TV.

Seanb61 said:
bryan27 said:
Bring back the Closed Caption on Mute function. CC does work on Version 5.68 as I have been using it on the SD channels, but it appears that there isn't in CC on the exclusive channels.QUOTE]

This function never served any purpose. The problem was that the Voom remote only mutes your TV and not the Voom audio output itself so therefore CC on mute had no function what so ever. It never worked and can't work because the Mute button does not control Mute on the Voom box it only is capable of muting your TV. The only way this would work is if Voom decides to change the function of the Mute button to actually mute the audio output of the STB not the TV.

I believe the reason you don't get closed caption on HD is because it's not there... when the movie is formatted to HD, from whatever source, it hasn't been formatted for closed captioning (yet)... although, I would think that their are some HD movies that probably have, and with those you would be able to use your closed captioning...

jimmykce1 said:
Does your Voom men show target update version? If not, I would expect it to happen tonight.

Is yours showing a target update version? Mine's not.

Thanks Seanb, well it would have been a nice function if it worked.

The CC needs to be placed at the Bottom of the Screen and not all over the TV screen. The CC needs all words said not just a few lines every now and then. The CC needs to stop flashing so fast that all you see is a few black flashes....Their should be an option for CC as to background etc.....But as you know the hearing impared or on the back burner like the new software up grade....I still say it is this dam cheap box ...come on Moto you can do better than this...As you can see Voom does a little here and a little there to just tease us....Why don't they just fix what we want in the software ONE time only not just a couple every 3 to 4 months.....We want and need the STB to be like all of the competion D*, E* with PG options and screen PG options, mapping OTA,Channel guide to stay put using the PG and so on....blah blah blah.....We still don't know if the STB is Moto or Voom's goof up but it needs attention....This is the HD world with the newest and best picture and sound. You still need to use another remote to mute the reciever . If the new DVR is like this box it is bye bye Voom....my wife don't like the Voom remote and favorite channel no option for different users etc....I have 2 months on my D* contract left but I'm going to renew if these issues with the STB are not fixed in the new software upgrade....My 2 cents HD=Voom :confused:

voomvoom said:
I believe the reason you don't get closed caption on HD is because it's not there... when the movie is formatted to HD, from whatever source, it hasn't been formatted for closed captioning (yet)... although, I would think that their are some HD movies that probably have, and with those you would be able to use your closed captioning...

FWIW: On the Motorola 4dtv/HDD-200 combination closed captioning is available on all the HD programming I've seen. It is controlled by pushing a button on the HDD-200 box.

brayn 27:

No it has N/A. the newest current software is 5.86. If you have it than you have the latest. The "new" update the foreum is talking about is to update 5.86 version.

Yes, I understand that :) I just found the initial post a little confusing. I thought that perhaps you were seeing a new target update version other than N/A and those with N/A would see a change.

jose44 said:
FWIW: On the Motorola 4dtv/HDD-200 combination closed captioning is available on all the HD programming I've seen. It is controlled by pushing a button on the HDD-200 box.

Thanks jose44... I wasn't aware of that... nice to know... I'll have to try it next time the phone rings...

just installed a box with the new software....manual scanning for ota...sweet...customer got everything antennaweb said he should get plus 2 it said werent even live yet... and it also has a signal strength meter for ota that allows great tweaking of ota antenna

jellison1 said:
just installed a box with the new software....manual scanning for ota...sweet...customer got everything antennaweb said he should get plus 2 it said werent even live yet... and it also has a signal strength meter for ota that allows great tweaking of ota antenna

jellison1,

great information. can you give us some details as to how the process works? I know there are two separate screens but not clear about the process. When you installed this customer, which type of OTA antenna was he using? One more thing. The channel that Antenna web was not listing how did it come up on the PG (with or without PG information) Thanks.

My neighbor just had Voom installed today, and there box was equipped with the new software. My guess is those new to the service are getting the new software. If they are able to put the new software in all the boxes there shipping out, where is ares?

z71tahoe193 said:
My neighbor just had Voom installed today, and there box was equipped with the new software. My guess is those new to the service are getting the new software. If they are able to put the new software in all the boxes there shipping out, where is ares?

yah i agree...love Voom but let's get the update to everyone. If it works on the new installs should work on mine too :yes

I think that the software in the new boxes is the beta version. The one coming up shortly will be the actual update.

Sean Mota said:
jellison1,

great information. can you give us some details as to how the process works? I know there are two separate screens but not clear about the process. When you installed this customer, which type of OTA antenna was he using? One more thing. The channel that Antenna web was not listing how did it come up on the PG (with or without PG information) Thanks.
the process is pretty simple on one screen you get a list of 7(i think) options ...one for sat signal pretty straight forward just like old one except it tells you to get above 85 to help with rain fade...next option allows you to put in a local channel you expect to receive and it gives you a meter just like for sat signal....once you lock your antenna(in this case a winegard sensar) the next option runs a scan for all the digitals it can receive and their respective signal strengths....next option is to help set up remote...next option is i assume for future use to activate box without having to call in info :D ...great for us installers who have gotten used to being on hold for 15+ minutes....and last option is to verify VOOM...don't know about pg info as was already getting dark and i had one more service call so i didn't hang around too long...by the way customers neighbors were there to see what VOOM looked like... were on the phone with VOOM ordering before i left ...they were blown away by the discovery hd channel

I just received one of these receivers with the new software. It is an install wizard for the installers only. First load runs it. And ask you to set 1080i or lower. It also now test your DVI connection for copy protection. If your tv does not support that DVI will be disabled.

This version has a boot up screen and will call in on the phone line to
activate service. Until I can test one with a dish I do not know how good the scan is. I tried it on a ANT and it would not detect the channels it only paused when passing them.

Instructions say that if channels are found that are not in your channel map you will not get guide info for them.

satmaster said:
It also now test your DVI connection for copy protection. If your tv does not support that DVI will be disabled.

......and once again fair use gets trampled on, chewed up and spit out.....

:mad: :mad:

I hope the EFF is successful with their Digital Televison Liberation Project.

It also now test your DVI connection for copy protection. If your tv does not support that DVI will be disabled.

Is there even a device available that can take the DVI signal and record it? I was under the impression that the only recording option was Firewire anyway. Doesn't make sense that DVR boxes are coming out, yet copy protection is being enforced on an interface that doesn't even allow copying ???

jwaltz666 said:
Is there even a device available that can take the DVI signal and record it? I was under the impression that the only recording option was Firewire anyway. Doesn't make sense that DVR boxes are coming out, yet copy protection is being enforced on an interface that doesn't even allow copying ???
Step one of eliminating or downrezzing all other outputs except DVI? Go thank Disney and all of the zillionaire liberal actors who dont like it that they can afford only 6 lamborginis and not 7. Ever wonder why D* now only sells one HD reciever? Its coming people.

Blame the **AA's and the politicians they have bought. Also the general unawareness of the American public. Most don't realize that things like HDCP severely limit their fair use rights. How do you think laws like the DMCA are passed? Because no one really knows what these technologies are or cares what the consequences of these laws are until it's too late. Now Orin Hatch is trying to pass a law that would essentially reverse the betamax decision and for all practical purposes make any device capable of copying or facilitating the copying of anything illegal. The MPAA and RIAA are behind all of it.

At least not all politicians have their head in the sand. There is a bill being tossed around to ammend the DMCA to give us back fair use.

Anyways...sorry for going offtopic. I'll leave it at that.....my blood really boils when I get into this subject. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts