Just HOW Reliable is the 622 now?

redman042

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Folsom, California (95630)
I'm planning to switch from D* to E*, dump our D* SD Tivo, get the 622 for two TV's, hook up via HDMI to my Samsung 50" DLP, and get the Silver HD package with locals. Since my wife loves our Tivo but is willing to switch, I want to make sure E* has resolved most of the reported issues with the VIP 622. Can anyone provide feedback, particularly those who are NOT having problems? The reported problems I'm speaking about are:

* Stuttering on HD locals
* HDMI problems
* Sat 129 signal lock problems

and any other issues you know of.

I know this has been discussed at length already, but perhaps things have improved in the past month, and perhaps more people who aren't having ANY problems can chime in.

Sure appreciate it! Thanks!

In my case, the 622 is doing really well.

- had some cases of PVR event play-backs "locking-up" 1st few weeks we had it, but the last SW update seemed to have fixed this. When this occured, had to reset the unit to get it back - no problem unless you're in the middle of recording something.

- My HDMI seems to be working fine. Was having HDMI audio dropouts when 1st got the unit, but these seemed to have gone away....

- No problems on my HD locals (Wash DC) - I never suffered from the stutter that I've read about here.

- I use 61.5, so can't speak to the 129 weak signal.

Mine has been pretty good so far. No lockups. I get the jitter on HD occasionally, but that's about it. I'm also on 61.5, so no experience personally with 129. My brother has 129, and hasn't had any problems that I am aware of with it. As for HDMI, neither mine nor my brothers has had any problems with it.

Mine is fine. I don't get HD locals via satellite, I get them OTA. Timers for that function work fine for me. No lockups. I do sometimes get an audio dropout, but not often, and I don't know if that's an HDMI problem or what. No video problems whatsoever. I also use 61.5 so I can't discuss 129. It seems some parts of the country do better than others with 129. In CA, 129 is probably the only option for you. I think they plan to replace 129 in late 2007 or 2008. Maybe someone else can verify/debunk that.

I'm happy with my 721, which is much better than my 508. My ViP622 is better still. And a lot faster than Tivo.

My "D" version had the no HDMI output problem but the replacement "E" version is OK in that respect so far (KOW!). I think they are now shipping "F" versions. I haven't played with all the 622's features so I can't say it's perfect but I haven't noticed any other real problems. Seems like it did a random reboot last night (first I noticed) and stuck on step 4 of 5 in the "Acquiring Satellite" process. I did a hard reboot to clear it - OK from there. I think the very occasional audio/video dropouts I have experienced are probably more source/signal oriented, not necessarily the 622's fault. I also have no experience with 129 or TiVo, but overall I think the 622 is a fine component!

When you get yours, protect the HDMI connection and do everything you can to help it run cooler...!

I have both C & D version and have not had any major problems. Only few times of Video stutters, which fixed by using fast reverse & forward couple of times. So, overall, I give the thumbs up.

I have the new E Series.

100% perfect
100% up time

I run both HDMI AND Componet out at the same time (I have 2 TVs in 2 rooms).

No 129 signal issues

Why I think its working good . . . .

==========
get the new model E series

============
They key is to not let it get hot. I tried a fan that worked.

Now I have a 1 /2 inch clearance under the recevier, that has the same effect as an external fan. I no longer need a fan.
The DVR is on Blocks.

==========
I also have a UPS on it as my vip 622 DOES NOT like power fluctuations of any kind where my 942 did handle them OK.

Last edited:
redman042 said:
... I know this has been discussed at length already, but perhaps things have improved in the past month, and perhaps more people who aren't having ANY problems can chime in. ...
My wife got a 622 on May 1st. It had every problem possible - with the final straw being it was shutting down and rebooting every hour or so.

On May 17th it was replaced.

My wife has not had a single issue with it since. (We get our HD Locals from 61.5 in the DC DMA.)

I bought mine instead of leasing it. It's a C series and no problems. Does'nt even overheat. I dont use the HDMI so I dont even know it it works but the component out looks great.

Had my 622 installed on May 29th, it froze up a couple of times and I had to do the hard reboot twice, other than that everything is fine since. I am very pleased with this receiver so far. No problems so far with 129, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No major problems so far. I have a Dish 1000 system (110/119/129) and no issues. You are in the same area so I don't think that woiuld be a problem (assumming it was properly installed). I am using the component out so cna't comment on the HDMI

Never had Tivo before so can't comment but I have the Motorola 6412 (Comcast's HDDVR with Two tuners) and the 622 is a lot better.

I have 2-622's. Both work fine. NO problems what-so-ever. ONE is connected HDMI, the other component. I would recommend it without question.

Robert

I've had practically no problems with my 2- 622s since the last software update L 359. Occasionally, not often, I get some minor stuttering on random channels but it last less than 5 seconds and is gone. I only saw this right after the software updated weeks ago. I haven't seen it at all lately. This is a major improvement than before with L 358.

My hdmi has always worked on both of my Toshiba tvs . I don't miss any recordings and it is as good as Tivo with the new show recordings , but without the slow tivo interface. In fact I am making dvd recordings from the hd channels that look great on dvd.

THe dishquality folks have fixed my hd mpeg 4 dish locals and the Starz hd channel in mpeg4 so there is no more jerky video artifacts. The future of the mpeg 4 transition looks much brighter to me since they overcame this one problem. In short life if good for now. :D

I love my 622s and I recommend them to anyone who is interested in Dish.:up

I have the original 622 from back in Feb, it was shaky in the beginning but recently it's been almost perfect, i'd give it 95% hassle free. for over the last two months i've been running it via HDMI to my TV, I switched from component a few software versions ago (though I never had issues with HDMI). My only complaint is the lack of storage, if you watch and record a lot of HD (which I do) you'll fill it quick. Dish is supposedly going to release external storage sometime this fall. I for one can't wait, I record all late night TV in HD and movies all the time, and if i don't watch them something has to be deleted (or else the 622 will do it for me which i don't like).

Also I switched from a SD SA Series 2 Tivo and I'm totally used to the 622 and really don't miss the Tivo (though it did have a few cool features).

bhelms said:
My "D" version had the no HDMI output problem but the replacement "E" version is OK in that respect so far (KOW!). I think they are now shipping "F" versions. I haven't played with all the 622's features so I can't say it's perfect but I haven't noticed any other real problems. Seems like it did a random reboot last night (first I noticed) and stuck on step 4 of 5 in the "Acquiring Satellite" process. I did a hard reboot to clear it - OK from there. I think the very occasional audio/video dropouts I have experienced are probably more source/signal oriented, not necessarily the 622's fault. I also have no experience with 129 or TiVo, but overall I think the 622 is a fine component!

When you get yours, protect the HDMI connection and do everything you can to help it run cooler...!

How can you tell what revision of 622 you have - is it the last character of the SN? Mine is "E"...could be just a coincidence.

sfollenius said:
No problems with mine. They replaced my first one which was bad.
Same here. First one lasted 17 Days with every problem known to man. The replacement has had not one single hiccup in the two months we have had it.:)

Old Skew Marking Problem?

DVR recordings burn to DVD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts