Just Joined

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Actually Scottnmellissa, since you have a coolsat 8000, you don't need a receiver for the AC-3 on the PBS. In Iceberg's review, he noted the fact that the 8000 must have an internal decoder cause he got all the auido on the PBS"s through plain old L/R AV cable hooked to his tv.
Btw, the PBSs are one of mine and my 2 little daughters favorites. They love the cartoons and I don't mind them watching them. Plus my wife is amazed how clear/crisp/bright the channels are compared to any other SD or OTA channels we can pick up. It's night and day when out local PBS is rebroadcasting what the feed is showing. Amazing how much PQ is lost.

As for the 8000 being a waste, that is all depending on what you were told it would get and what you paid. I personally am really eager to get one, but am waiting for for some features to be added. I love watching the feeds and if I can find some hockey HD feeds like berg is reporting, I'm all for it. However, if you do want to sell it, remember the classifieds here.

Go read icebergs's review of it. I think you'll see the receiver has alot of promise. It's just very new.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=88696

Last edited:

lumpkin666

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 21, 2007
USA
Well good I hope I will like it, What do you all think about this dish for a starter dish? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170088492794&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1
That's a dish1000 for $100? I believe the actual dish isn't all that big (not much bigger, if any, than a dish500). Which isn't quite enough for any FTA setup. The LNBF's won't work for most FTA stuff either.

You might check with one of the sponsers (Sadoun or Satellite AV are both ones that I've done business with now). You should be able to get yourself a nice 90cm (36") dish with a Universal LNBF shipped to your door for 10-15 dollars more than that dish1000. Everything will work out of the box, and you'll get great support from some great dealers.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Yes, I recommend Sadoun. Check Sadoun's ebay pages too. I got a heck of deal from them and those guys are top notch. If you are on the west coast, I would go with SatelliteAV. I have no experience with Gosatellite, but Sadoun and SatAV are on here often offering help. I got a 90cm dish with motor and I love it. Works great.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
Well good I hope I will like it, What do you all think about this dish for a starter dish? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170088492794&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

I see you already placed a bid . :confused:

I'm not real sure what you expect to get with that dish, not that it won't compliment a FTA setup , but NASA and GOL TV are the only channels FTA that you can receive and some audio radio from what I've heard + the LNB is circular and will not help with any other sats besides those pay services that occasionally FTE Forget To Encrypt.

I was wondering what channels were you expecting to get using the Dish 1000.

Like I have posted before , please do your homework and also be patient , though Ebay can be a great source for some FTA stuff, a simple call to Sadoun or other sponsor for a FTA Dish would have helped steered you away from that Dish 1000.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
I see you already placed a bid . :confused:

Correction : you used Buy It Now.

Item Description : General Information
DISH 1000 allows you to receive programming from 3 orbital locations; 110°, 119°, and 129° using a dish antenna size similar to DISH 500. Recieve all HDTV and PREMIUM Programmings from DISHNETWORK.

Just so you know.
DISHNETWORK is a Satellite provider that requires a subscription to view programming, it is 99 % not FTA.

Mar 8, 2007
Correction : you used Buy It Now.

Item Description : General Information
DISH 1000 allows you to receive programming from 3 orbital locations; 110°, 119°, and 129° using a dish antenna size similar to DISH 500. Recieve all HDTV and PREMIUM Programmings from DISHNETWORK.

Just so you know.
DISHNETWORK is a Satellite provider that requires a subscription to view programming, it is 99 % not FTA.

Jay i sure did the main reason is this guy that I bought it from is going to come install everything for me for free so as soon as I am hooked up and have a understanding about FTA then I will get the proper stuff. He works for one of the video stores here in Charlotte. So it is worth the 100 just so I do not have to deal with it yet lol.

Sadoun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 27, 2005
Columbus, OHIO
Well, if you want a receiver to compliment the dish 1000 you bought, I recommend to you the VIP622 DVR receiver with a Dish Network subscription. The VIP622 is a great HDTV receiver and DN has great offers for new subscribers.

The Dish1000 is not going to be any good for your FTA interest.

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I smell the "H" word....

I hope the OP is aware that the FTA receiver will not work with the dish due to the switches/lnbs on this dish.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
Bottom line is if the installer offered to use this dish with a FTA receiver to get pay channels, this is illegal and has nothing to do with true FTA, which is what we are discussing on this forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts