Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
The network port on my H23 died. I need MRV so I need the network jack. I couldnt get a deal from Directv and wanted to ensure I got an H24 so I ordered one from Amazon.com via 6th avenue for $97 with free shipping. It got to my house in 2 days.

I was stunned at how small the unit is. I have an HR24 and that is compact and sleek. The H24 is just as elegant. It has slots for wall mounting. I am going to move the unit around between my deck and boat house so its portable. I like the size so it makes it nice and easy to move.

The unit blows away the H23 in all aspects. They are not the same in any way except the UI. The guide is very fast after a full guide load. Even the boot time is fast since I have the unit powered off as I move it around. Its not as fast as the HR24.

For anyone looking to add another room and want to extend their whole home solution, this is a great unit. If you want the guide to go a split second faster, you have to pay double to get an HR24. Both are fantastic units and complement the Directv solution very well. I am loving the new units.

Congrats on the H24, might have to pick one up for the kids room.

The network port on my H23 died. I need MRV so I need the network jack. I couldnt get a deal from Directv and wanted to ensure I got an H24 so I ordered one from Amazon.com via 6th avenue for $97 with free shipping. It got to my house in 2 days.

I was stunned at how small the unit is. I have an HR24 and that is compact and sleek. The H24 is just as elegant. It has slots for wall mounting. I am going to move the unit around between my deck and boat house so its portable. I like the size so it makes it nice and easy to move.

The unit blows away the H23 in all aspects. They are not the same in any way except the UI. The guide is very fast after a full guide load. Even the boot time is fast since I have the unit powered off as I move it around. Its not as fast as the HR24.

For anyone looking to add another room and want to extend their whole home solution, this is a great unit. If you want the guide to go a split second faster, you have to pay double to get an HR24. Both are fantastic units and complement the Directv solution very well. I am loving the new units.

Only thing is, at this point, seeing we've already got DVR's, is there any point in getting a non dvr, other than money ?

Only thing is, at this point, seeing we've already got DVR's, is there any point in getting a non dvr, other than money ?

I already have 3 DVRS and because of unplugging and mobility of the unit, I didnt want to get a unit with a hard drive. The HR24 is clearly the better unit and is noticeably faster. They are both great units and glad I fried my H23. ;)

Right now only the non-DVRs can schedule recordings across multiple units. The DVRs can only schedule recordings on the local device itself.

I've contemplated getting an H24 and putting my slingbox on it mostly for that reason (and to have the Slingbox on a unit that wouldn't have tuner recording conflicts).

Hmmm, didn't know that ...

Its a great feature of the H2x's. Thats why I had to have the network jack on my H23. You can tell it to record to any of your DVR's and play them back. This whole home DVR thingy has come a long way and is working great.

Its a great feature of the H2x's. Thats why I had to have the network jack on my H23. You can tell it to record to any of your DVR's and play them back. This whole home DVR thingy has come a long way and is working great.

It's a shame you need to add parts and addl. cost to do it thou, many of us were using it fine in the Beta process without the added equipment.

Right now only the non-DVRs can schedule recordings across multiple units. The DVRs can only schedule recordings on the local device itself.

So currently a DVR can only record to itself on this setup ?

It's a shame you need to add parts and addl. cost to do it thou, many of us were using it fine in the Beta process without the added equipment.

So currently a DVR can only record to itself on this setup ?

Correct. If you are on an HR24 for example and hit record on a program, it records it to the HR24. If you do that on an H23 for example, it will then ask you which DVR do you want to record to.

Correct. If you are on an HR24 for example and hit record on a program, it records it to the HR24. If you do that on an H23 for example, it will then ask you which DVR do you want to record to.

Why the difference, is the HR24 considered the Primary ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts