Just purchased HDTV, NEED HELP!

skiz77

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 4, 2005
Hi, I just purchased a 42' Sony Grand Wega LCD Projection HDTV. From what I've read and seen at the store, the HD is amazing on this tv.

I am a current DishNetwork Subscriber and have the dual DVR 522 receiver for my middle and 3rd floors...I have just the standard single non dvr receiver in my basement. This TV is going on my second floor, so I really need to keep a dual receiver on this floor. The 522 receiver does not have component video outputs, so for now had to connect using S video and the picture quality is really not that good on any channel. In fact the picture quality may look worse than it did on my old 27inch standard tv maybe because its so big and digital junk is more noticable. Watching football seems like the players have force shields around them.

I really want to upgrade to a dual dvr HD receiver, and I purchased this TV assuming Dish Network would have a good upgrade option for me...I see that option would be the DVR 942...Little did I know they want existing customers to purchase through a retailer for like $500+ dollars!!

Please tell me there is another option out there that I am missing?? I refuse to purchase a receiver, and will just assume switch over to Direct Tv or Comcast assuming they allow new customers to lease their receivers. I read there may be a new receiver coming along in February? Does anyone know if they will allow existing customers to upgrade without having to purchase?

I really appreciate anyone's comments/advice

Thanks

The buzz is that a new HD DVR is very close. I would not get on a 942 right now as it seems some of the HD content will be either launched or switched over to MPEG4 which the 942 will not recognize.

By the end of this week we should have a better idea whats happeneing with announcements being made at CES. I would at least hold off until then to make a decision.

One thing I can guarantee you is that as an existing customer you will not get to lease that HD receiver for free. There will be some kind of charge to lease the HD receiver.

I just bought my first HD set and need an HD DVR. I decided to switch to DirecTV. Value Electronics has a good deal on stuff. If you only want to record OTA signals (assuming you can get them) then go with the Tivo, while you still can. Although Dish gets you two outputs, they only have one OTA tuner. If you want to record two HD programs or watch one live event while recording another, you can't do it with Dish.

You can do a lot better than that.

Get an 811 used for less than half price on ebay. Make sure it has no balance on it. If seller highly rated and posts no balance youre OK, if not get serial and call Dish to verify.

Get a Dish 1000 for half MSRP same place new.

Get the $20/mo (15 plus thievery fee) 16 channel deal from Dish.

A tip: do not try to use the 811 for anything SD, it is atrociously poor with SD.

Love my setup, kept basic expanded cable service and slashed my entertainment bill while raising quality of programming.

This is currently the largest HD offering in the world, maibe C-band has more channels dunno.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)