Just switched to Uverse.

Nothing beat the DISH, I love theirs HD boxes is the best and flawless, I do have the dish for little over 2 years very happy with service, and also DSL with AT&T, My sis dose have U-VERSE. She said is not bad and she saying dish picture quality is better. BUT VERY IMPORTANT THING BOUT U-VERSE BOXES don’t have any connection back of their boxes I mean no USB for external hard drive that is VERY, VERY important to have, U-verse is basic standard HD/DVR box and that’s sit. So think about it , and believe price is only some few dollars up and down ,they saying alots money and things is just B.S..STICK WITH DISH

Nothing beat the DISH, I love theirs HD boxes is the best and flawless, I do have the dish for little over 2 years very happy with service, and also DSL with AT&T, My sis dose have U-VERSE. She said is not bad and she saying dish picture quality is better. BUT VERY IMPORTANT THING BOUT U-VERSE BOXES don’t have any connection back of their boxes I mean no USB for external hard drive that is VERY, VERY important to have, U-verse is basic standard HD/DVR box and that’s sit. So think about it , and believe price is only some few dollars up and down ,they saying alots money and things is just B.S..STICK WITH DISH

lol

It is not BS. Uvserse works well

if you are at the right location. You can record 4 similutaneous streams, 2 HD, 2SD. You can initiate a recordings remotely from the internet, and the selection of HD content from Uverse beats Dish by a mile.

If everything is installed properly it is very difficult to see the difference between Dish and Uverse on the HD picture, though subjectively Dish might be slightly better. However the SD picture on Uverse blows Dish out of the water.

I have both services and am comparing them side by side

But U/VERSE HD/DVR boxes don’t have USB connection for external harddrive..is just a basic HD/DVR boxes. Plus dish dose have sling box in vip922 u can do the same reordering in the internet & surf the internet too with vip922..USB/external harddrive
Connection to dish/ boxs is a BIG PLUS for me and other i guess & using the feather alot and loving it!!

The external hard drive is not a show stopper to me

But U/VERSE HD/DVR boxes don’t have USB connection for external harddrive..is just a basic HD/DVR boxes. Plus dish dose have sling box in vip922 u can do the same reordering in the internet & surf the internet too with vip922..USB/external harddrive
Connection to dish/ boxs is a BIG PLUS for me and other i guess & using the feather alot and loving it!!

If it is for you, then don't get Uverse, Direct, or cable, because none of them have that

As far as the slingbox, why would I want to "buy" another device, which is not trivial to hook up, to do remote recording? If that is Dish's solution it won't go very far. Direct and Uverse both have online recording through the internet, and they are far easier interfaces to use

Incidently, I do have a slingbox, and it just isn't that user friendly in my view

However, it appears for you that Dish wins hands down because of its hardware, so I say stay with Dish

Everyone has different priorities.

I wasn't happy when Charlie got rid of Voom, but the way he decided to replace Smithsonian with C/I was finally what motivated me to try Uverse

What made Uverse even more attractive was I didn't need to get tied up in a two year contract that you do with Dish and Direct

If it is for you, then don't get Uverse, Direct, or cable, because none of them have that

As far as the slingbox, why would I want to "buy" another device, which is not trivial to hook up, to do remote recording? If that is Dish's solution it won't go very far. Direct and Uverse both have online recording through the internet, and they are far easier interfaces to use

Incidently, I do have a slingbox, and it just isn't that user friendly in my view

However, it appears for you that Dish wins hands down because of its hardware, so I say stay with Dish

Everyone has different priorities.

I wasn't happy when Charlie got rid of Voom, but the way he decided to replace Smithsonian with C/I was finally what motivated me to try Uverse

What made Uverse even more attractive was I didn't need to get tied up in a two year contract that you do with Dish and Direct

One of the several reasons I dumped DISH for U-verse was that they tried to make me take a two year commitment to get an additional hd dvr. With U-verse ZERO COMMITMENT! With the way Charlie dumps stations who wants to be locked into a two year gig. My hd dvr from U-verse is outstanding and the hd is the same as when I had DISH. The U sd is so much better than DISH it makes DISH look like a joke. And of course the many more hd stations U has blows DISH away. Think I'll watch some SPEED HD or maybe THRILLERMAX HD.:)

If everything is installed properly it is very difficult to see the difference between Dish and Uverse on the HD picture.

It's extremely easy to tell them apart. Just look at the backgrounds shifting and pulsing with UVerse due to the overcompression. You can see it from half a room away on a 42" screen.

I am looking at both right now, and I don't see it

It's extremely easy to tell them apart. Just look at the backgrounds shifting and pulsing with UVerse due to the overcompression. You can see it from half a room away on a 42" screen.

I believe you, but it is not happening to me, and I have a 42", 37", 40", and 26" screens

Either my vision is not sensitive as yours, or my setup doesn't exhibit it

Last edited:
I would never presume to tell someone what service they should or should not have

To me, I'd stick with Dish because their HD DVR is superior.

I agree, the Dish DVR hardware is now superb, and it should be after their initial release of HD DVR receivers like the 921, was such a major disappointment, you would hope they would have learned from that experience, just as I have no doubt that Uverse will improve with time also.

However, the biggest disappointment I have with Dish is how Charlie negotiates content with his suppliers. You never know when a channel will be removed with Dish. Always a surprise.

I am not aware of Direct, cable, or others playing games like Charlie plays.

It is his company, and he can run it anyway he wants. Competition is good, and the more competition the better for consumers

Every UVerse set-up I've seen has the same problem. It's also been written about alot on just about every UVerse forum. There's always a few lucky ones who say they can't see it. :)

you obviously don't spend much time on the forums, or you would know that the VAST MAJORITY of people DO NOT have the issues you are talking about..
Do you have Uverse at home? How long have YOU had it??? How many setups have you actually seen?

I have 6 hd tv's from 70 inches down to 23, and NONE of them have this issue; I have 4 neighbors on my block who have Uverse and NONE of them have this issue..

If you don't have first hand knowledge about something, based on actually experiencing it YOURSELF, on a regular basis, then do this forum a favor, and don't spread hearsay that you pick up on the internet...
Its a known fact that more complainers than praisers post their feelings on the internet...Do you think they have 1.2 million subscribers, and some of the highest, if not the highest customer satisfaction numbers in the industry because their product is so horrible for most of their subscribers???

you obviously don't spend much time on the forums, or you would know that the VAST MAJORITY of people DO NOT have the issues you are talking about..
Do you have Uverse at home? How long have YOU had it??? How many setups have you actually seen?

I have 6 hd tv's from 70 inches down to 23, and NONE of them have this issue; I have 4 neighbors on my block who have Uverse and NONE of them have this issue..

If you don't have first hand knowledge about something, based on actually experiencing it YOURSELF, on a regular basis, then do this forum a favor, and don't spread hearsay that you pick up on the internet...
Its a known fact that more complainers than praisers post their feelings on the internet...Do you think they have 1.2 million subscribers, and some of the highest, if not the highest customer satisfaction numbers in the industry because their product is so horrible for most of their subscribers???

Wase, you are a UVerse fanboy. That's fine. You're a fanboy here and you're a fanboy on other forums as well. I have researched this heavily, and I have looked at several UVerse systems in depth, with my own eyes.

I'm not saying that UVerse sucks, but it has picture quality problems on the high definition channels, in addition to basic and inexplicable hardware problems handling HDMI. I've looked at 3 or 4 different UVerse setups, and they all have the same problem of the shifting and pulsing backgrounds on HD channels.

When people say that UVerse picture quality is just as good as Dish, Direct, FIOS, or Comcast, they are not correct. It has inferior high definition picture quality for the moment. And before you get all worked up about the word inferior, that doesn't mean it's bad or that it sucks - it's just not as good as other services. It's certainly better than SD, and at the price AT&T sells UVerse subscriptions that's probably good enough for a lot of people (combined with other advantages like fast channel changing and a nice DVR compared to the typical cable DVR).

Jeff

Jeff;

If you've seen my posts on other forums, then you know I am NOT a fanboy; I have criticized Uverse plenty of times; I get occasional Pixelalation and freeze-ups; I have had my DVR replaced once in the first 6 months, I have had to have the UVoice reset twice after losing called it, and some other things as well..
My only points are:

- I save almost 50 dollars a month dropping Comcrap/Dish combo that I had before
-there is no contract or committment involved with Uverse, which you cant say for Dish, Direct, or, now even Comcrap

-Installation and all service calls are free, and they even rewired my house, gave me a free battery back up ,2-8 port Netgear Switches and upgraded my phone lines and reburied the lines in my yard, at my convenience for FREE..

- One bill, discounts and special offers ALL THE TIME, full online control of every aspect of your account, including the ability to set up recordings from any web browser.

- Did I mention NO CONTRACT/NO COMMITTMENT?NO EARLY TERMINATION FEE?

To Me, all of this offsets an occasional soft HD picture, or a once every few days freeze up on Fox network..

With dish, I always lost picture every time it rained hard or snowed hard, and they always said they would bill me to have someone come out to check things out..

If this makes me an ATT "fanboy" in your eyes, I guess I am, but as a consumer, paying LOTS of money for this stuff, I want the best bang for my buck.

If Verizon every brings FIOS to Chicago-land, I am definitely going to try that..but for now, to ME, Uverse gives me the best total package for the lowest cost..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)