Just want to make sure I have this 4k stuff correct

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Only thing I'm aware of is that any firmware upgrades for an RVU TV from the mfr. naturally require an internet connection.
Yes, but don't hold your breath getting firmware updates from the tv manufacturers.

Yes, but don't hold your breath getting firmware updates from the tv manufacturers.
True ...

Which is one big reason to choose the C61K STB client option, even if the TV is 4K RVU capable.

You naturally receive any DIRECTV FW updates to the clients directly from them. Instead of waiting for a third-party version of it from a TV mfr. to arrive very belatedly at best or (more likely) not at all.

Maybe mine already has the rb lnb since I have a HR 54. How do I tell?
Hello hahler2, Go to Settings and check your System Info for your satellite setup. It will provide you your dish type, switch type, etc. if it has reverse band/international and SWM Multiswitch DIRECTV 16 Channel Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM16) from Solid Signal or SWM LNB DIRECTV Digital Reverse Band 3 UltraHD 4K LNB (3D2RBLNB) from Solid Signal or DIRECTV Digital Reverse Band 5 UltraHD 4K LNB (5D2RBLNB) from Solid Signal. They also come as standard units without reverse band. I hope that this information helps you. If you see RB in the informaion then you have Reverse Band. If you don't have reverse band it is very easy to switch out the standard units for the Reverse Band units.

The rb lnb is part of the upgrade to an HR54.

I install 54s all day and NEVER install a RB unless there is a 61k on the W/O, then it actually calls for a RB. It's a huge waste of $$ (in AT&Ts eyes) to install them on non 4k jobs, when 95% of the time the customer doesn't even know what an HDMI cord is.

This thread is about a 4k upgrade. A rb lnb is part of the upgrade to an HR54 for 4k. If you are installing a Genie and it happens to be an HR54 then no rb is necessary.

This thread is about a 4k upgrade. A rb lnb is part of the upgrade to an HR54 for 4k. If you are installing a Genie and it happens to be an HR54 then no rb is necessary.

Or at least not "normally" necessary ...

Like my weird situation where I wanted to ditch my hot SWiM-16 and its need for two ugly coax pairs running up the side of the house to the ODU, for a single outlet SWiM-LNB and coax line.

Yet, because of DIRECTV's goofy policy of keeping the ST "Holidays & Happenings" music channel, a favorite of my sister, on the 119 satellite. Only a RB SL5RB fits the bill, even though I don't have 4K.

(Had to purchase and install the SL5RB myself of course after the tech originally installed a non-RB SL3 digital SWiM LNB)

Just to clarify this. If a TV is being replaced then the client should be replaced and used with the 4K and HR54 with the other TV. The only way to feed 4K (beyond RVU) to a TV is with the C61K client.

The installer whom just did my 4k installation advised me not use the RVU, whereas it will wear out your TV sooner, plus even though you have RVU you will still have to pay a monthly receiver fee for it.. My setup ended up with a C61 hooked up to my samsung 4k in the LR; my hr54 in the master BR and two wireless c41 wireless in the other rooms. My signup promotion included 4 receivers a month included with my bundle.

been reading about how buggy the C61K is over on the AVS forum. several people complaining about how when you try to change the channel from 106 to another channel it freezes up and you have to reboot. is this a common problem? or just a select few making a lot of noise? i was wanting to jump into the 4K scene but this gice me pause and makes me think i might be better off waiting.

been reading about how buggy the C61K is over on the AVS forum. several people complaining about how when you try to change the channel from 106 to another channel it freezes up and you have to reboot. is this a common problem? or just a select few making a lot of noise? i was wanting to jump into the 4K scene but this gice me pause and makes me think i might be better off waiting.

Reboot? No. What a couple of seconds while the tv and box sync for a non-4k signal? Yes.

BTW, same thing happens when going the other way. It takes a bit for everything to sync. Well worth it, IMO.

Got my OLED. It's AMAZING. Love the picture quality! It was good enough that even my wife went, "wow that looks good". And she never notices stuff like that. I've got a year left on my contract. Just going to stick it out for now and maybe do an upgrade after that. I don't see the point right now for the limited amount of content.

Reactions: I WANT MORE
True ...

Which is one big reason to choose the C61K STB client option, even if the TV is 4K RVU capable.

You naturally receive any DIRECTV FW updates to the clients directly from them. Instead of waiting for a third-party version of it from a TV mfr. to arrive very belatedly at best or (more likely) not at all.

LG RVUS have had an issue after the last software update, theres a thread on the att/directv forums

go with a c61k, or you may have to wait for lg tp update the firmware

Ah. I always forget that it’s up to the TV manufacturers to do software updates for RVU, not Directv. I will just get the C61.

And yes I’m very excited about my new TV. I have an OLED that’s only HDTV. And it’s amazing. I always said that I was going to save up so that when I made the jump to 4K it would be another OLED. They’re spendy but amazing.

In the future, you may not have a choice. I'm hearing from some installers that if you have an RVU TV DirecTV is going to force you to use that. If you hook up a C61K to a TV that has RVU built in it won't let you activate the C61K as it's checking the TV model via HDMI and cross-referencing with RVU TV models built into the software. It will pop up with a message that the TV is RVU capable and won't let you move forward from there, forcing you to use the RVU software built into the TV.

In the future, you may not have a choice. I'm hearing from some installers that if you have an RVU TV DirecTV is going to force you to use that. If you hook up a C61K to a TV that has RVU built in it won't let you activate the C61K as it's checking the TV model via HDMI and cross-referencing with RVU TV models built into the software. It will pop up with a message that the TV is RVU capable and won't let you move forward from there, forcing you to use the RVU software built into the TV.

source?

Well if that's true then DIRECTV better find a way to get the TV manufactures to keep their software in sync with the hardware clients. In the past I've found too many differences between how the RVU client and the hardware client operate which is why I went to just the C61K's.

Well if that's true then DIRECTV better find a way to get the TV manufacturers to keep their software in sync with the hardware clients. In the past I've found too many differences between how the RVU client and the hardware client operate which is why I went to just the C61K's.

They may just not care. IDK After, all they want to get you to streaming in the end. That seems to be the direction they are going.

I have 2 C61Ks and the only issues I have with either of them is the periodic freeze/stutter of audio and video.
No issues with changing channels, HDMI handshake or anything else.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts