JVC 52" D-ILA, best rez?

bratboy

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2005
Denver CO
I know a few besides me have this TV and just wondered what you find to be the best setting in Voom with this TV, 720p or 1080i. I know it, the TV upsclaes 480 to 720 so wonder if thats not the best choice for voom STB as well. I tried messing with setting the STB to Native but then was locked out of the Install wizzy and had to do a Factory reset routine so am avoiding messing with the lil red button again.

Thx in advance for any opinions

Nice set! I have a Philips Cineos, which is a different version of the same imaging technology. People say the JVC's better than the Philips, since it uses 3 chips, not just one and colored prisms. The best PQ I've ever seen in a store was from a 61" JVC D-ILA, but I confess, I am partial to my Cineos and think it rocks.

Anyway...

It comes down to if your TV does a better job of scaling a 1080i signal than the Voom box does. Set your Voom box to 720p, then to 1080i. If it looks better at 720, then your TV has a better scaler than the Voom box. I find my Cineos looks best when the Voom box pumps out 720p.

Enjoy!

I find with my pj (720p native) that 1080i looks best. It's a fairly well known fact that if you downrez a signal, it normally looks more crisp and detailed than watching it at the native rate or upconverting. Try different settings and see what suits your eyeballs, after all, that's what really matters.

bratboy said:
I know a few besides me have this TV and just wondered what you find to be the best setting in Voom with this TV, 720p or 1080i. I know it, the TV upsclaes 480 to 720 so wonder if thats not the best choice for voom STB as well. I tried messing with setting the STB to Native but then was locked out of the Install wizzy and had to do a Factory reset routine so am avoiding messing with the lil red button again.

Thx in advance for any opinions

I have the same set and I leave the Voom box set to 720. I assume that less processing is good. I also use component cable rather than a DVI to HDMI cable. I feel I get fewer digital artifacts this way and I have not experienced as many of the PQ problems as others have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)