Katrina Aftermath

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just a friendly comment, I do not think there is ANYTHING "great" about hacking or hackers, its theft plain and simple............. As someone who DEPENDS on paid satellite service to feed my family............its just my opinion : )

Depends on what kind of hacking you're talking about. The kind where somebody tries to get for free what they are supposed to be paying for is what is verboten. If I figure out how to hack my overheated satellite receiver to add a cooling fan, that's entirely different.

By the way, are the SBS6 feeds mentioned in post #1 still there and are there any new ones anyone has found? That is what this thread was "supposed" to be. Closest thing I've found to a "feed" yet was ABC News1 LIVE (12053/V/3979 on IA6/93W) but that one is fully documented at lyngsat.

First off, I hope anyone related to this board in the affected areas are ok.

I have to say that the coverage over FTA ia amazing! Being relatively new to FTA, i've been glued to the feeds this past week, more than I've been watching the newschannels over my Directv dish.

That being said, I have never realized how stupid some of these reporters can be! And how full of themselves they really are.

I'm watching this woman up to her hips in filth, yet she HAS to have her hair and makeup done b4 she goes to air. I've also seen Shepard Smith poke a mic in front of people dragging themselves out of the water, asking "How do you feel" and yet never lend anyone a hand getting themselves out of the water.

On the other side, while not being a fan of Geraldo Rivera, I've seen him weep while off air with no lights and the cameras on. It was really genunine, and it actually touched me.

Disaster brings out the best and worst in the media as well.

Mike

torg0 said:
First off, I hope anyone related to this board in the affected areas are ok.

I have to say that the coverage over FTA ia amazing! Being relatively new to FTA, i've been glued to the feeds this past week, more than I've been watching the newschannels over my Directv dish.

That being said, I have never realized how stupid some of these reporters can be! And how full of themselves they really are.

I'm watching this woman up to her hips in filth, yet she HAS to have her hair and makeup done b4 she goes to air. I've also seen Shepard Smith poke a mic in front of people dragging themselves out of the water, asking "How do you feel" and yet never lend anyone a hand getting themselves out of the water.

On the other side, while not being a fan of Geraldo Rivera, I've seen him weep while off air with no lights and the cameras on. It was really genunine, and it actually touched me.

Disaster brings out the best and worst in the media as well.

Mike

Where did you find the Fox News guys at? I've been looking for those two but never found them.

torg0 said:

same here...he was PISSED on Friday night while at the convention center...during Hannity and whatever the other guy was....because the busses weren't there.

Iceberg said:
same here...he was PISSED on Friday night while at the convention center...during Hannity and whatever the other guy was....because the busses weren't there.

I saw that too. And even when the lights went out and he was off air, he was still pissed! Cursing and everything. He just didn't seem so phony to me.

Mike

digiblur said:
Where did you find the Fox News guys at? I've been looking for those two but never found them.

FOX News Feed IA6/24/D3 IA 6 12126-H 3978 308 256
FOX News Feed IA6/24/D4 IA 6 12132-H 3978 308 256

Mike

Tron, glad to hear that you are OK and I wish the best for you and your family.

Regarding the news feeds, I've been glued to my TV lately. I am very new to FTA (started 1 week ago) and I'm already totally addicted. Getting raw news footage sure beats watching the networks where they don't always give you the whole story.

From monitoring over the weekend there were plenty of feeds on IA 6, G11, and AMC 9. Saw some very interesting/shocking footage being filmed from a news chopper that was assisting with Search & Rescue ops. I also saw Greta interviewing refugees in the Superdome and they showed how the whole operation is being conducted.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Great to hear from you Tron! Best wishes to your and yours. Hope everything and everybody is safe.

:usa

Thanks W! I am sorry I haven't been checking the board recently, so much going on.

Went into Metairie (N.O. suburb where I live) on Tuesday. House took on 18 inches of water. Bad to be sure, but not as bad as those unfortunate enough to live on the other side of the 17th Street Canal. They are still under 12 feet.

I grabbed up a bunch of stuff, very quickly since we had to leave by law. Got the motorized Winegard and the non-pen mount for it. This is amazing, both of my non-pen roof mounts WERE STILL UP THERE and hadn't moved an INCH! Those cinder blocks must work well. Then again, without the dish reflectors there was very little resistance to the wind. To give you an idea of wind speed, every tree in the neighborhood was sheared off or uprooted. I have NO LOS issues now :D

Also picked up my Pansat 2700 (it survived the flood, up on a table). BUT...

I forgot the REMOTE! :mad: Does anyone know of a universal remote that will control a Pansat 2700?

Thanks again to all for the thoughts and prayers!

Tron said:
... every tree in the neighborhood was sheared off or uprooted. I have NO LOS issues now :D
That is the most unique "silver lining" I've ever seen. :)

Glad you were able to salvage what you could. 18" of water still sucks, but you're right, it's not 12 feet.

What I've learned from watching the feeds on IA6 this week:

Greta van Susteren often has no clue what she's talking about and gets pertinent info from the staff between segments. She also had a splitting headache the other night and talked about a soldier who had adopted an abandoned puppy.

Shepard Smith is originally from Mississippi, smokes, and occasionally uses the word "Bullsh!t" in casual conversation when he thinks nobody's looking.

Interesting stuff!

I've noticed the same thing Pepper.

I overheard Lou Dobbs say earlier, CNN already has filed a court document to keep the US Govt from not allowing them to video the cleanup process. It looks like they are trying to keep the media out before the ground is viewable. I would think CNN would have the decency to not to air pictures of the deceased. I would not want to see one of my family members for the first time on tv.

Pepper said:
What I've learned from watching the feeds on IA6 this week:

Greta van Susteren often has no clue what she's talking about and gets pertinent info from the staff between segments. She also had a splitting headache the other night and talked about a soldier who had adopted an abandoned puppy.

Shepard Smith is originally from Mississippi, smokes, and occasionally uses the word "Bullsh!t" in casual conversation when he thinks nobody's looking.

Interesting stuff!

I saw that too. My wife kept saying, "Why don't they give her some aspirin"? Smith smokes like a chimney-he keeps the cigs right up until about 10 seconds before he goes on air. Chris Matthews likes to say, "Jesus Christ" when something goes wrong (not on hurricane feed-on tapings for Fox Sunday).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)