klipsch KF28's

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
I recently bought a new set of towers (above) and I'm having troubles. I'm not sure if its the speakers, receiver, or wiring. Some songs play and sound flawless and others sound crackly and distorted. I sat on the remote once and the receiver volume shot up with a quickness, however, I don't believe I damaged the speakers. It played for roughly 3-5 seconds and was nearly ear bleeding! Anyways, I have a Yamaha V367 and I'm not sure where to set the crossover and worried about the new speakers. Any ideas what would cause the crackling and distorting sound? I have (I believe) heard them in the rears which are klipsch bookshelfs as well

I would get one of the test BluRay discs (or DVD equiv). In addition to the video setup sections, they all have audio test tones. There are three major players in these discs. All are about the same in terms of technical ability. The Spears and Munsil was most respected, but it is out of print. The others are the Digital Video Essentials and the Disney WOW disc.

Go through the audio calibration series, and pay special attention to the higher frequencies. Unfortunately, I am suspecting that you blew out one of your tweeters. When an amplifier is driven into distortion, it throws out a lot of high frequency noise at high power levels. This can easily damage a tweeter. The good news is that this tweeter is not very expensive and can be easily replaced. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006E7YKU4/?tag=satell01-20

Best of luck and I hope there is nothing wrong. However, if there is a problem keep your fingers crossed that it is a tweeter as the other problems will be more expensive.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not 100% convinced its a tweeter just yet. I'm going to a buddies house tomorrow who has the exact same setup as me and I Plan on setting up his like mine and playing the same songs to be sure. Ill look into the blu-rays though and thanks for the link (all though I'm hoping I don't need it) couldn't possibly be something with the woofers could it?

Well upon testing, same thing on my friends speakers. Only difference is he has a better Yamaha receiver than I do. I moved the crossover down to 40 and that some what cleared it up but still on certain songs I get the crackling but I think I hear it on 5 speakers in the system. I'm curious if its an issue with the quality of the original cd before I ripped it to the PS3 HDD or if its the receiver itself? I'm sorta lost at this point. Any other ideas?

Not without listening and knowing what is being played.

Since it had the same issues on your friend's system, it isn't likely to be a broken speaker. A few questions. First, you say you turned the crossover down. Do you have a subwoofer? If not, that is unlikely to do anything since the full range will be sent to the mains. Second, what is your center? If it is a better speaker, you can set the main channel to "small" instead of full range. This will divert lower frequencies to the center.

Now for the biggie. Do you like your music LOUD!!?? If so, there is a chance that you are bottoming out the woofers in your towers. The pistons only travel so far and then will stop abruptly, especially in the case of lower cost speakers. Since these are pretty much the bottom end of the Klipsch tower line, you may simply be overdriving them. Only thing you can do in that case is crank it down a bit. I would not continue to overdrive the speakers as it can be bad for their long term health.

Actually they're all klipsch excluding the center which is an older Sony so I have it set to pretty much even with the 2 towers. As for the crossover, yes, I have a 10' powered pardigmn sub. I'm not a huge fan of loud, that's why I choose the towers and smaller receiver. I like just good sounding music/movies. Plenty of bass, mids, and highs without the salty price tag. I will every now and then crank it up around -25 but I cant see that really being too hard on them, it'll stay at that for maybe an hour every couple of weeks bi listen to a lot of harder rock and alternative and a little classic rock. They sound fine with just about everything except a few songs. Wondering if maybe they just are not capable of taking the frequency or something? I get the crackle at all volumes if that means anything

I'm curious if its an issue with the quality of the original cd before I ripped it to the PS3 HDD or if its the receiver itself? I'm sorta lost at this point. Any other ideas?

Does it only happen on a particular recording? Did you compress it when ripping it off?
Listen to the same recording through some headphones and see if you can hear any distortion.
It may not sound as bad as through the speakers, but if you do hear any distortion at all, then you will know that it's not the speakers causing it.

Does it only happen on a particular recording? Did you compress it when ripping it off?
Listen to the same recording through some headphones and see if you can hear any distortion.
It may not sound as bad as through the speakers, but if you do hear any distortion at all, then you will know that it's not the speakers causing it.

I did just that, it is either the way PS3's play it or the songs but I'm leaning towards a little of both. I play the songs in my car and head slight crackling and I play the same band with the same high tones and don't hear it but certain songs do it that are only on the ps3. Which is why I'm at lost except for it has to be a little of both but I'm 99.9% sure the speakers haven't suffered any damage. If anything, I'm slightly under powering them and causing some distortion at most.

I did just that, it is either the way PS3's play it or the songs but I'm leaning towards a little of both. I play the songs in my car and head slight crackling and I play the same band with the same high tones and don't hear it but certain songs do it that are only on the ps3. Which is why I'm at lost except for it has to be a little of both but I'm 99.9% sure the speakers haven't suffered any damage. If anything, I'm slightly under powering them and causing some distortion at most.

Hmmm, it sounds like the "problem" is that your new speakers are too good and are faithfully reproducing highs that the car speakers and headphones simply filtered out.

Hmmm, it sounds like the "problem" is that your new speakers are too good and are faithfully reproducing highs that the car speakers and headphones simply filtered out.

Well I've always just pieced together "deals" instead of buying something worth buying so I'm kind of thinking even though the KF28's are of the lower end if klipsch they're doing what they're suppose to, reproduce detail, and its causing my headaches. I hooked up the old towers and after I really listened I heard the same sounds just not as noticeable. I'm thinking its the songs and the PS3 isn't helping any, I think its the settings in the PS3 that needs tweaked to help but ill always hear it while I listen to them certain songs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)