Ku-Dish through glass

Status
Please reply by conversation.

calmeidajr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 28, 2009
NJ
I have a clear shot to. 97 west through my bedroom window. If I put up a dish inside would it work?...I also have a metal screen on the outside of the window. Can the signal go through?....Any help appreciated.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Wescopc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 11, 2005
Canby, Oregon
Won't go through metal screen, might get some signal through glass - works well through acrylic (polycarbonate)
?Bob

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
Expensive window screen material is metal, and should certainly shield you from RF.
Cheap window screen material is fiberglass mesh, and will probably pass the signal.
(you might go to Home Depot with your old screen, and have a new one made with fibreglass)
Your actual mileage may vary. ;)
Edit: next I suppose you're going to say you are using a 20" dish! :) :down

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
I've heard certain types of glass can block the signal. Best way to find out if it will work is to try to hit 119W with an old, decommissioned DTV or Dish Network dish and receiver before sinking any money into a full FTA system. If you get a response on the meter, you'll be good on 97W with a FTA system.

Last edited:

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
This is a great question. Years ago, when installing a 60 cm dish for a subscription service, I had the same question. I decided not to push my luck and ended up installing it outside on my fence. But there may be many who would like to have an indoor dish. I don't think even condo landlords can (yet) say what you can or cannot have in your living room! calmeidajr: Please report back your findings if you try this.

Titanium

AI6US
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
Signals will pass through window glass, but energy efficient windows are coated with a reflect metal to reduce sunlight passing through. This reflective coating reduces the amount of satellite signal that passes through.

I have found that the satellite signals are attenuated by at least 50% on my test windows. Only the strongest channels would be received with a 90cm dish. I second the suggestion to replace the window pane with the acrylic. Wire mesh screens will effectively block 100% of the satellite signal and should be removed or replaced with non metallic screen material.

lost_mesa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 18, 2010
New Mexico
About 25 years ago I had a 4 ft Ku dish looking out a large window (single pane) in my apartment living room. It worked OK.

My current house has triple pane windows that are completely opaque to R.F. I get no signal at all through the window on my XM radio (2.3 Ghz). Through the walls (Stucco/wire mesh, OSB, and Drywall) I get a weak but useable XM signal.

calmeidajr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 28, 2009
NJ
I figure I can always just open the window while I'm watching tv then close it when done we'll see how it works.

kodaz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
North East PA
i may have to test that one, i will go home after work and tell my wife i wanna setup a minibud in the living room. but we have to open the window to watch tv...
:)

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
what HH motor is strong enough to pan my house through the arc?
We could configure the power train from an aircraft carrier elevator. That's got the power ;) The downside is one pass across the arc burns $25 in electricity. Not exactly the most efficient satellite setup.

calmeidajr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 28, 2009
NJ
I'm married but I rule with an iron hand. I'm the King of the castle like Ralph lol.

Wescopc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 11, 2005
Canby, Oregon
Attached is a picture of our house that we built within the last year (CC&Rs say no dish visible from the street).

SO the window above the garage (attic) is acrylic with dish behind it. Works great!:)
House picture.jpg

Bob

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Attached is a picture of our house that we built within the last year (CC&Rs say no dish visible from the street).

SO the window above the garage (attic) is acrylic with dish behind it. Works great!:)
View attachment 92249

Bob

Pics or it didn't happen! lol

Either that house is on a turntable, or it's much larger than it looks, along with the window.

Wescopc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 11, 2005
Canby, Oregon
The window has a 1000.2 WA Dish Network dish - hitting 110, 119, 129. House faces almost due south, with our Longitude of 123W it works very well. I will see if I can get a picture of the dish - need lots of sun because it is in an unlit attic - with only the light through the darkened acrylic. Just for the doubting Thomases!

I have Three more dishes - 90 CM (97W) on back roof, 1.2 meter in back yard on motor and 1.2 meter fixed on 103W in fenced side yard - I will take pictures of all. Had architect lower the roof by 4 feet so the dishes could have LOS from back of house. I pulled in over 2,500 feet of coax and Cat 5 cable, with 4 coax jacks and 2 LAN jacks in each room. Plus the wifi for the Rokus.

Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Optibox

Bad sg6100? LCD goes blank then runs to the limit til reset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)