KU reception/Coolsat 8000hd problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

duchen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I own a Coolsat 8000hd with a 10 foot dish.

I am able to receive some of the KU band channels on the NAHAUEL 1 Satellite at 71.8 degrees with the LNB set to 10750. However, that is the only KU band Sattelite I receive. And, I only get some of the channels.

I cannot get free channels on any of the other KU satelites. And, I am talking only about free to air channels like foreign language channels, WhiteSprings TV, sports backhauls, PBS etc. They do not even register a lock on AMC 3 etc.

My system is configured as follows: My receiver is slaved to a 4dtv. I split the C band and KU band inputs with a high frequency splitter. I use a DISECQ switch for the FTA receiver; C band is DISECQ 2 and KU is DISECQ 1.

C band FTA reception is fine.

My KU LNB is set to 10750. My C/KU installer attached his Coolsat 5000 to my system and he was able to download KU band channels on his receiver from AMC 5 (for example), but my receiver would not download anything, even with the same LNB setting and even with manual inputs of the frequency, pid, polarity etc. based on charted locations of existing channels. So, I know it is not my configuration, the dish or where the dish is pointing. This is supported by the fact I receive KU reception on the 4DTV.

If anyone has had a similar problem or can advise me, I would appreciate the help.

Last edited:
What I have noticed with the 8000 is when it works with a Diseqc switch, the bugger is bull-headed :D

Translation....go to a KU satellite and bring up the menu in the 8000. Set Diseqc to port 1, then do the following (this seems to fix the issue)

change the LNB LO from 10750 to something else (I use 10000) then change it back to 10750 and save it...that usually does the trick.

It did not work. My installer had hooked the KU cables directly to the input and bypassed the Diseqc switch and that did not work. Coolsat told me that they would help me with this problem.

Problem Solved

The Coolsat people (FreeTech) sent me a replacement unit. The lnb power output was not functioning on the first unit; although this did not affect my ability to get FTA C band reception, it affected my ability to find and save FTA KU band programs.

Coolsat stood by their product and honored their warrantee.:)

I have now been able to locate and save FTA KU band channels (except that I cannot find PBS etc. on AMC 3 and have no idea why; I have moved the dish to find channels, but have found nothing).

PBS is at 12180 V 30000 (freq, pol, symbol rate). I can get it with a 76cm dish. They are a little finicky and can be at lower signal but they should come in.

I like the CS8K for those as you dont need a separate AC-3 decoder :)

I have tried those "coordinates."

AMC 3 KU the only KU satellite I cannot get.

I have a 10 foot dish. I have a 4DTV, which uses the symbol K3 for AMC 3. The C band side is W3 on the 4DTV. I have gone to W3 Tr. 20 (where there is a religious analog program). I then searched AMC 3 to verify that I could receive C band FTA channles.

I then saved K3 (KU band AMC3) at the same spot and got nothing. Then, I moved K3 east and west. While doing so, I (variously) looked for an analog channel, and watched the strength of the signals on the 4DTV and Coolsat unit.

I have also been reading the threads here @ similar problems others have had with the same sattelite to see how they fixed it. One guy set his receiver to SMATV, but that just turns off my unit. (I use a Disecq switch).

Maybe the problem is that I am in Florida, but the 10 foot dish should eliminate that issue.

Most likely, I am doing something wrong.

can you get GPB on the 4DTV at K3 640?

Otherwise see if you can get the stronger stuff first on K3

Satellite (name)-frequency/polarity/symbol rate
87 (AMC3)-11736 V 6104 or 11716 H 4859

I cannot get GPB on the 4DTV at K3 640. I get a note on the 4DTV that it cannot find the channel and is searcing (Note: other KU 4DTV channels come in fine on other satellites).

I could not get 87 (AMC3)-11736 V 6104 or 11716 H 4859

I cannot get anything. Its not alignment either, b/c I get Ohio Network and backhauls on SBS 6 and programming on satellites further west. I am stumped.

I cannot get GPB on the 4DTV at K3 640.
on the 4DTV is it set up for 90 degree offset LNB? (I know on mine that's the only way to get KU to work)

I get a note on the 4DTV that it cannot find the channel and is searcing (Note: other KU 4DTV channels come in fine on other satellites).
crap scratch that then.

I could not get 87 (AMC3)-11736 V 6104 or 11716 H 4859
The dish may not be alligned properly as those 2 are VERY strong. I can get both if my motorized isnt right nuts on 85 (it will pick it up real low signal on a scan)

I cannot get anything. Its not alignment either, b/c I get Ohio Network and backhauls on SBS 6 and programming on satellites further west. I am stumped.
so you get DVB KU stuff on IA8 (G28?) and satellites around it?

If yeaaaa cannot get K3 Channel 640 then you have a problem....
see if you can get
The University Network on channel 20 on C-Band and how clear it comes in....
JohnnyT

I can get Universty Network on C band at W3 (AMC 3) 20; I also scanned and saved ABC NewsOne on G28 KU today and scanned a Hughsnet channlel (the signal registers, but cannot be saved;) on AMC 9 KU today just to show I can get signals for the channels from the surrounding satellites.

I have been thinking today there might be an alignment issue in terms of the arc the dish follows as it gets near (but not to) the Eastern limit. I also receive White Springs Network poorly (at 129 degrees). That is roughly in the same part of the arc as my dish rotates toward its western limit as AMC 3 is with respect to the eastern limit the eastern limit (if this makes sense).

KU reception on all the other satellites is fine. I am truly stumped.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)