Status
Please reply by conversation.

calmeidajr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
NJ
Is this a good setup for 97 west?

It's a fortec star dish and receiver ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1382966440.991482.jpg

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm not sure what kind of receiver that is actually but it looks like it has a card inside I think it's fta any ideas?

If the dish is 31" or 33" it will work fine. That's what I am using here. The receiver is probably not S2 (HD) but should be OK for 97W since its mostly SD, 480i.

The guy told me that it's a dish network box and he used it with that dish and he used to get horse racing with it. Would it work on 97?

Can you get the make and model of the receiver? If its a DN box then it will not work for FTA.
If it was an FTA box modified to receiver DN then it may be able to get FTA.

That is an old DN box. That is no use to you.

Posted from my fingers via my Droid Razr

Even if you can get an old DVB-S receiver, for the money you'll be much happier with a new DVB-S2 receiver in the long run, such as the microHD :)

I recommend a new receiver. But if you're going to get an old one, at least tell us first the model you plan to buy. For example, I can drive over to a local today and pick up a very old Coolsat 5000 for $10.

Attachments

• Coolsat5000.jpg
    Coolsat5000.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 121
I need a cheap receiver. Is the dish worth 25 dollars?

Yep. I paid $50 for a "setup" that had a broken motor, but the dish and lnbf were fine. It was a Fortec "80cm" (76 cm across, 81 or something up and down). $25 is a good bargain if the dish looks as good as it seems in the photo. Just verify the size as 31 inches or more. Certainly looks similar to the one I bought for my brother.

Not sure gonna pick it up tomorrow after work.

Re the LNB, in the pictures you posted, it almost looks like a linear FTA LNB on the end of the dish arm.
Funny you mentioned that the sellor used to watch horse racing. AMC 5 at 79W used to air horse racing channels. But AMC 5 is no longer active. Maybe thats what he used to watch?

That is an old DN box. That is no use to you.

Posted from my fingers via my Droid Razr
I seem to recall reading something,years ago,that some of the older dish boxes could be made to work for fta,either via jtag or some such.After all the old dish boxes were just dvb-s receivers with dish's programming.
But then again,being over 50,crs,bourbon,etc,I could be mistaken. :D

There WERE some stupid mods that turned old DN receivers into very poor FTA boxes.
Dumbest use, ever.
There 're plenty of crappy old FTA receivers that would be better.

The man I talked to was 80 years old and very hard of hearing I had to scream on the phone. I will pick it up tonight and try to figure out what's going on. He probably is giving away the wrong receiver who knows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

S9 power on blinking

Just in time for Halloween

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)