L2.37 Software Update for Models 522 & 625

earth station

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
L2.36 sure didn't last very long as I have been awaiting for this update. Still at 2.35. Now 2.37 is out. Anyone have any release notes on this?

L236 was basically updating the 522 with the 625's feature set. I would guess that they found one or more problems with this, and as soon as they determine that L237 works correctly on both 522 and 625 that they will mainstream L237 to all. Or a slightly later version if they found problems.

Can someone with access to the stream tell us if L237 is a single release for both 522 and 625, or are they still separate?

Pepper said:
L236 was basically updating the 522 with the 625's feature set. I would guess that they found one or more problems with this, and as soon as they determine that L237 works correctly on both 522 and 625 that they will mainstream L237 to all. Or a slightly later version if they found problems.

Can someone with access to the stream tell us if L237 is a single release for both 522 and 625, or are they still separate?

What does, " access to the stream." mean?

My guess is that 2.37 deals with some stupid little things that crept in with 2.36, like needing to press the ON buttion twice.

"access to the stream" - i.e. somebody who is piddling around with whatever type of equipment they might have access to, and can figure out what the bits mean, on whatever channel/frequency the software updates are spooled out on.

Of course such a person is likely to be using such equipment for purposes that can't be discussed here.

Well, so for with 2.37 my 522 turned on to the screen where it it looking for the 5 sattilite something or anothers. Nothuing happened until I did a hard boot. Now it seems to be working, though I still have to press power twice to turn it on.

They probably added the 2xSelect so that you don't accidentally roll over and hit the button in the middle of the night and wake yourself up.

Its not like the software engineers have any REAL problems to be working on, so they just added that little *feature* for anyone who sleeps with their remote. :D

2.37 has brought back the audio drops for me at about one per hour.

So to summarize, the major fix from 2.36 has been removed, but we get to keep the new bugs. How I love having to hard boot the DVR so I can press the Power button twice so I have a chance to have the audio drop out of my recording.

Sapient said:
2.37 has brought back the audio drops for me at about one per hour.

So to summarize, the major fix from 2.36 has been removed, but we get to keep the new bugs. How I love having to hard boot the DVR so I can press the Power button twice so I have a chance to have the audio drop out of my recording.

Please tell me you're a Direct TV nerd who's spamming. My 522 is on it's way and this is the worst news possible.

Here's another 236 problem: To use the TV2 digital recorder, I now have to set it up at TV2, instead of doing it thru the preference protocol at TV1. Otherwise, it will not record, and puts up the "TV1 in use" screen on TV2, as if that had anything to do with it in denying TV2 to record the selected program. It also occasionally denies erasing recorded programs with a "TV2 in use" when it isn't. Whomever said that "updates fix one problem and give you two more" was right on. If 237 returns the audio lag problem, our 522 is done for.

In response I have never had audio drops with my 522 just some minor synch problems, nothing I would not expect with a dvr and I have never had to press my power button twice before. But I also dont record much and dont use the name based timers.

Kaydigi said:
Please tell me you're a Direct TV nerd who's spamming. My 522 is on it's way and this is the worst news possible.

I wish.

Ok, I don't really wish that. But I am getting fed up with the constant software upgrades that don't fix anything. I was excited to get 2.36 and have the audio drops fixed, and am bummed to have them back now.

Sapient said:
You forgot to mention at the tail end of all that, "... if my recording timers even fired in the first place!" Everyday I have to review the daily schedule to see if it's correctly populated from the timers screen. If not, I run a check switch to force a new guide download, which usually helps - but not always.

haertig said:
You forgot to mention at the tail end of all that, "... if my recording timers even fired in the first place!" Everyday I have to review the daily schedule to see if it's correctly populated from the timers screen. If not, I run a check switch to force a new guide download, which usually helps - but not always.

Thats kind of funny as the very same bug with the very same work around is in the 942.

I have a brand new 522 that I have not even opened yet waiting/debating if I should even bother. I got it to repalce my 508 which is 'reliable' but now I am not so sure

Kaydigi said:

Directv nerd here spamming. Hey I have too! Nobody hardly ever has any problems with their DVR equipment over there, myself included :p. Anyway if Sapient's only getting audio dropouts once an hour I'd say Dish has pretty much fixed the audio issues. My 522 once had 12 dropouts in 30 minutes!

PS. Not a single audio dropout yet with my Directivo :D.

With 2.35 I had maybe 2 drops/hour on average, but there were the occasional shows that were just unwatchable. WIth 2.36, I had none with the exception of a show which I think I recorded before the upgrade. With 2.37, I had three in three hours.

kbohip said:
Directv nerd here spamming. Hey I have too! Nobody hardly ever has any problems with their DVR equipment over there, myself included :p. Anyway if Sapient's only getting audio dropouts once an hour I'd say Dish has pretty much fixed the audio issues. My 522 once had 12 dropouts in 30 minutes!

PS. Not a single audio dropout yet with my Directivo :D.

I know that your D* equipment are stable, I was just hoping he was a guy spewing some anti dish propaganda. Too bad he's not....

Sigh.....

If it makes you feel better, I still think Dish is by far the best deal out there and that the 522 is a steal even with its problems.

More than one dual tuner output in a house

Dish Network lack of ABC and NBC HD programming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)