LCD TV--Good?? Bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotch1

Oct 6, 2004
Not sure if this is the right forum here to ask this, but yous guys were so helpful before. I am interested in buying an approx 30 - 34 inch LCD TV for my fireplace above a mantel. Is it true they are still only good for about 2 years or so AND is it risky to buy one over the internet AND do you have to buy the expensive well-known brand to get a decent TV? All I have to go on here is the info from the kids at the electronics chains, so I thought I would ask the experts. thanks for any info.

scotch1 said:
Is it true they are still only good for about 2 years or so.

I do not think this is true. I have an LCD rear projection TV that is already 2 years old.

What brand are you looking for? Internet is risky if it is not an auhorized dealer. Also beware of the re-stocking fee when you purchase over the internet.

not sure which brand yet as it won't be used all that often and I'm not one of those people who always has to have the best of everything or everything has to be a well-known brand. Are there any great online stores that you would recommend or even any not-so-well-known brands to recommend?

The reason I ask is a good friend of mine is the IT guy at his company and they have some LCD monitors for some computers that are starting to show this Mura (sp??) effect. He called Apple and they said this is typical for LCD screens to start to kind of "sag" in spots after a couple years. So is this a couple of years of every day 8 hours a day use?? So a TV being used very little would last quite a while? So confusing nowadays.

Dang, I never knew that....

I just last year went and bought tons of LCD moitors for all our workstations at our company. Say it isn't so!!!

"Is it true they are still only good for about 2 years"
where did you come up with this? Try adding a 0 to that, 20 years is more like it. An LCD TV with average to heavy use could easily last 20 years. After that all you need to do is change out the backlight and it should be good for another 20 years. The only problem being it will be very outdated in 20 years, and the backlight would cost as much as a new highly advanced super HDTV then. LCD is amoung the most reliable TV technolgy's on the market today. It will not give as good of a picture as CRT, or use up a large amount of power and heat your entire house like plasma-but its a great technology and one that is proven to work. read the www.avsforum.com to find out everything you need to know about each type of TV, become a member and start asking quetsions. You need to really know what you getting into before you purchase a TV these days, you could easily make a $5000 or $10,000 mistake. In the end make sure you feed your HDTV and HD signal, because anything less is not HD!

Like I said, got that 2 year thing from a guy from Apple. Glad to hear they are much much more reliable than that. I know what you mean about shopping around and getting info before taking that expensive plunge. Nice wheels.

That Apple guy is completely wrong.

I have many LCDs at my company (I'm the chief of technology) and lot of them older than 2 years. (Actually I've got rid of them a short time ago - slow response time -, so they aren't there anymore. :))

Besiudes this a REAL plasma (at least 720p capable) would cost over $5K whereas a 720p LCD TV is between $1500-3000 and the only difference will be that LCD lasts far longer than plasma (plasma also has its few ten thousand hours lifecycle), though plasma has better brightness.
I'd avoid projection TVs - go into a CIrcuit City and you'll see yourself.

The bulb in a LCD projector might last around 2 years, but the bulb can be replaced and the projector will be fine again. An LCD TV does not have the same kind of bulb that burns out as fast. I'm not sure I've seen 20 years used, but I have seen 10-14 years of life quite often. Either way, the technology will be obsolete long before the product wears out.

I tend to get confused with this whole LCD tv stuff are we talking about a rear projection LCD or a flat panel LCD that you can hang on the wall like a Plasma? There is a big difference in the two is there not? I bought a Sony rear projection LCD and have had no problems with it. I have read lots of bad things about LCD tv's, but I don't know if it's all LCD tv's or not. So someone with more knowledge please enlighten me.

I'm in IT also and we've had LCD's around for at least 4 years with no sign of aging and these things are on 9 hours/day minimum. I've had 2 displays on my desk with one of them at least 3 years old now and it looks just as good as my brand new display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)