Least expensive place to buy a HR24?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Apr 12, 2006
Just to remind you, that's a lease price, you won't own it. And DirecTV won't guarantee an HR24, you could get any of the DVRs.

If you really want an Hr24, there are a couple of options. First, get it (still a lease) from Solid Signal or another online vendor. Still $199.

Or, with great care, get an "owned" one on ebay, having checked with DirecTV th.at the seller does in fact "own" the box. But that will be closer to $300.

Occasionally people like solid signal offer the box for a lease price lower than $199, but a quick check today showed $199 was the lease price everywhere.

BobStokesbary

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 9, 2009
Southern California
Well it all depends on how long you have been a customer. Log on to your DirecTV website account and see if you qualify for an upgrade. I did that and decided not to proceed when they wanted a $50 installation fee. Somehow D* knows you have been on their website and they called me about two weeks later to ask why I did not upgrade. I said that I really liked the idea of an HR24 upgrade but didn't want to part with the $50 right now. So, they waived the fee and I got a new HR24 for free. It seems worth a try.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I've seen the 34's cheaper than the 24's on Amazon ...

I think I'd rather have another HR24 over a 34.

Then again, I'd like a 44 with the old remote that is used on the 24's !

I've got 2 backlit remotes that I use daily ... doubt that the new remotes do that. :(

joed32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 21, 2005
Riverside, Ca
Nope no back light, just a matter of time I hope. I really do like the new remote other than that. You can use the old remotes but only in IR, no RF.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
I didn't see anything much below $200 for the HR24. If you don't already have a Genie you may consider that instead, Amazon has HR34 for around $160 or other places sell HR44 as low as $250. You may even be able to get a Genie upgrade at a lower price right from DirecTV. If you already have one, or just want to add an HD-DVR, you are kinda stuck around $200 unless DirecTV will give you a discount.

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
I am getting the HR44 for free. new costomer. Then if I want to add a HR24 for more tuners it would be another 199. Also looking at the AM21 for OTA. Unclear if that adds to the tuners or takes the place of? 5 people in the house, more tuners more better! I may try and insist on a better deal for the HR24. But to be honset seems like it is reasonable. I have read the buy vs lease and visea versa. To me, really makes no difference. You can't really use the box if you are not a Direct comstomer so owning it seems pointless. But I know there are reasons and have read them.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
The AM21 will add tuners, I have an older HR20 -700 that has an internal tuner so with MRV and my HR24 - 500 I don't need one.

Don, the AM21 doesn't add any tuners as far as Recording goes.

A HR24 has 2 tuners in it, add an OTA AM21 and it still only records 2 things at a time.

Unless ones an on demand. iirc.

rsoares28

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 4, 2013
Toronto
@jimbo, that's correct, that's what the OP was looking for.

I was just making a statement showing amazon as one of the cheapest retailers to find receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)