LED bulbs

navychop, the Utilities group at work just re-lamped the 3-bulb T12 luminaries in our department with 3-bulb T8 units. The only problem is that the units saved only 6W per panel so it wasn't done to cut energy costs. It was really done so they can cannibalize the ballasts from our T12 fixtures to keep other lights in other offices going.

My problem with the new lights is they are easily twice as bright as the old lights, and they went with 5,000 K so it's a much bluer light than what we had before.

They could have gone with a two bulb fixture and cut the energy costs by half compared to the old, dimmer bulbs. Oh, well...

I'm headed over to BigBoxStore to check for those bulbs, navychop; thanks for the heads-up.

Edit: Well, I found something better than the Utilitech Pro fixture I put in 18 months ago. The same company has a hanging shop fixture with the same specs as the fixed luminaire I installed, but these hang on chains and plug in to the outlets the old hanging T12 fluorescent shop lights used. The best part is the BBS dropped the price so these were only $39.99 each, almost half of the price of the $70 fixed luminaire.

Here is the finished product:
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1444528341.239802.jpg
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1444528695.901280.jpg

BTW, the store I was in had the Sylvania LED T8 replacement bulbs at $24, but the sales associate said that they needed an Electronic ballast and wouldn't work with the older ballasts. Plus, the T12 bulbs wouldn't be in for 2-3 weeks. So, $48 for two bulbs and $30 for the e-ballast, and the $70 fixed LED looks very attractive in comparison. In my garage it was even harder to justify the extra cost.

Last edited:
BTW, you can now buy LED "fluorescent" tubes as direct replacements for T12 and T8 tubes. No bypassing the ballast.

They look like T8s, but the pin spacing on T8s and T12s is the same so you can put them in either.

Bought a couple at a big box HW store.

That's my next step, replace the final 4 fluorescent tubes in my kitchen. Then, my whole house will be led.

I got tired of replacing light bulbs every 3 months it stinks. I told my mom lets switch to leds so we don't have to change out bulbs so often. So far she likes them. Do you really save money with them?

I'd checked mine with my watt-meters against comparable wattage CFL bulbs, it looks like the LED bulbs don't save more than a watt or two compared to the CFL's, but, the LED's sure are a lot longer lasting, better starting and give more consistent light throughout their lifetime, plus no mercury. Our whole house and horse barn has been LED for a few years now, I plan to switch our garage over soon.

On the horse barn we have 12 VDC LED bulbs, because that's powered only by solar. We have electric out there too, just in case, but it's never used. Eventually the house lights are going to be the same, I've just been too busy. The 12 VDC LED bulbs do take considerably less power to run because no power conversion, just stepping down voltage and regulating.

Just discovered the Dollar store in our area is selling A19 60 watt LEDs for $3. I'm trying 2 out. One is outdoors and the other indoors. Unfortunately they are not dimmable.
Costco is also a good source for inexpensive LEDs.

All our Xmas lights are LED. Huge reduction in power consumption. Also the tree lights are cool to the touch.
We went the same route, when too many of the old bulbs burned out. So I cut off the old and now we have to drape the tree each year with the new LED strings. Aw shucks.

Err- by "we" I mean my wife. Maybe with MiL help.

I picked up a 4 pack of dimmable 60W LED bulbs yesterday for $3.99 at Home Depot. First time I have seen then at $1/bulb.

Don't think so. But since I'm about to buy two to four more, I'll let you know.

I just hope it's not a mistake, with the bulbs outliving the ballasts.

Don't think so. But since I'm about to buy two to four more, I'll let you know.

I just hope it's not a mistake, with the bulbs outliving the ballasts.

Let use know which ones exactly that you bought, from where, and how they worked. I want ones that you don't need to remove or bypass the ballasts.

I've retrofitted at least a dozen standard 4' florescent fixtures with t12 bulbs. Bought my supplies from this site...http://www.totalbulklighting.com/led-lamps/t8-led-lamps.html

They have both kinds. I prefer the direct wired t8's bypassing the ballast, it's very easy to do. This company has been very good to work with and they take great care when packaging the bulbs. Never had anything damaged during transit.

I've retrofitted at least a dozen standard 4' florescent fixtures with t12 bulbs. Bought my supplies from this site...http://www.totalbulklighting.com/led-lamps/t8-led-lamps.html

They have both kinds. I prefer the direct wired t8's bypassing the ballast, it's very easy to do. This company has been very good to work with and they take great care when packaging the bulbs. Never had anything damaged during transit.

How do I know if the ballasts in my present kitchen fixtures are capable of working with the "Direct Replacement" tubes? It sounds like those ballasts have to be a particular OR special type, that just any ballast might not work?

That's a good question and the very reason I prefer the direct wired t8 bulbs bypassing all that. The tombstones which are basically the lamp holders have to change out. Look at some of the retrofit kits they have. It's no different than wiring up a standard light fixture mounted to the ceiling.

Check out this screen shot I attached. With this you bypass everything. The line in wires up to the prewired tombstones. The bulbs are labeled showing which end is the power. The other end goes into your existing tombstone and is nothing more than a lamp holder.

led light kit.JPG

Here's another tidbit to consider as well. If your fixture has a cover where the bulbs are not exposed go with the clear lenses. If your fixture is open with the bulbs exposed go with the frosted bulbs.

That's a lot of work to require the fixture. For the 4 foot fixtures I think it may be cheaper to get a whole new fixture than change out the bulbs.

I have been getting the can light conversion kits abs those work out great. About $15 per bulb.

That's a lot of work to require the fixture. For the 4 foot fixtures I think it may be cheaper to get a whole new fixture than change out the bulbs.

You wouldn't believe how easy and quick it actually is. All your doing is removing the old bulbs, taking the "line in" loose from the ballast, swapping out the tombstones on 1 end, wiring them into the "line in" and installing the new bulbs. That's it. I did 8 of them in recessed fixtures after work 1 evening in a mom and pop store in about 1 1/2 hrs.

As far as changing out the fixture. I would go that route if it were a standard type hanging shop light. It's about the same cost as a retrofit. The biggest advantage of a retrofit is recessed fixtures, that 1 of kind fixture that your not going to find anymore and the decorative types. Just way easier to retrofit those.

Another thing I don't like about the direct replacement bulbs using the ballasts. Those things are nothing but big energy consuming transformers with little savings in energy. As far as a retrofit goes the direct powered bulbs is the way to go without a doubt.

For those interested and access to the pub check out post 103. This was the 1st one I did, it was for my self. Wish I could forward that whole post to here. My usage was cut to almost half. Went from 4-34 watt t12's to 4-18 watt t8's. This is a very easy DIY project with basic mechanical skills.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...orescent-phase-out.315887/page-3#post-3593534

This video shows how easy this is to do.

This 1 explains the difference in tombstones.

Amazon has a cheaper price on the led tubes that require bypassing the ballast. The only thing they don't include is the wire connectors or wire for the tombstones. The wire however can be easily be salvaged from the ballasts.

I may get 1 of these 4 bulb kits, have 2-2 bulb shop lights that have not been converted yet. Can't replace them for the price amazon has.

Amazon product ASIN B00NXBMDEY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)