LED tv's are so much better than LCD tv's.

bigjohnok

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
BFE Flyover State
I have 4 1080p 120hz lcd tvs different sizes and from different manufacturers vizio,sony and rca.
Went and bought a 32 inch vizio led tv for my computer room and holy crap it makes the lcd tvs look bad.

That is all, looks like I am going to buying a new bigger led tv to replace the 47 inch vizio lcd tv in the living room and it will get pushed to a bedroom and either the sony or rca 32 inch will end up in a bathroom.

Yes, and there are different LED lighting arrangements. Some are edge lit and some like my 3 Vizio sets have a full array of back lights which I feel are superior to the edge lit.

And then there is also local dimming.
Oddly enough, there are even edge-lit local dimming TVs.

The point is, as klang noted, LED TVs and LCD TVs both use LCDs to create the image so the issue isn't LED vs fluorescent, it is probably more related to the refinement of the LCD panels used today.

Yes, My Sony 4K is edge lit with local dimming. Looks like garbage with it turned off. Looks great with it on. My Sony 820 was the same way. My Sharp 844 is full array without local dimming. That one looks good (calibrated).

S~

The Vizio's also have the local dimming.
While they feature local dimming, you have to look at how many zones. Vizio uses "up to" 32 (4 columns, eight rows) and Samsung uses 300 or 600 zones. Vizio's uses actual dimming of the backlight while Samsung's uses timing of the LCD (presumably a lot like shutter speed).

If it fools your eyes, that's all that matters.

One big plus of the LED backlit TVs is that they should be a lot more durable and longer lasting in comparison to TVs backlit with florescent tubes.

And the pinnacle of LCD is FALD... Full Array, Local Dimming. ;)

I'm holding out for 4K OLED to hit under $3500 for a 70" set. Almost there but not quite. Maybe Vizio will be the first under $3500. ANY TV isn't going to last more than 5 years these days. The formatter board will die long before the pixels stick or LEDs give out. I still have a DLP but they are easy enough to work on if a component fails.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)