Let the Cloud wars begin!: Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Yesterday Microsoft's Sky Drive changed its system to permit Dropbox-like integration, where you have a folder set to sync to the cloud, and they are providing 7GB of free storage (compared with Dropbox's initial 2Gb free). And if you are an existing user, you can have 25GB of free storage.

New and Improved SkyDrive Is a Threat to Dropbox | PCWorld Business Center

The big news is that Microsoft has done away with the convoluted Live Mesh system, and adopted a more streamlined syncing system very similar to Dropbox. Microsoft has an app for Windows and for Mac OS X that integrates SkyDrive with the local OS. Files can be stored in the SkyDrive folder, and they will be automatically uploaded to the cloud, and synced to other computers or devices.

SkyDrive is providing more free storage, and cheaper paid storage than rival Dropbox.
For Mac users, Office 2011 for Mac has already offered SkyDrive integration, but the new app makes SkyDrive available to other software, and integrates with the Finder tool in Mac OS X. Microsoft also introduced a new version of the iOS app that provides a native experience on both the iPhone and the iPad. SkyDrive is suddenly much more capable as a cross-platform, cloud-based data storage option.

Of course, Dropbox has numerous referral programs, and my own account has 30GB of free space (on top of the 50GB I purchase).

Dropbox is not sitting still either, yesterday announcing the ability to share any file or any folder - not just from a public folder, through the creation of links.

Dropbox Launches Web Viewer for Link Sharing - Data Storage - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

Dropbox, in a battle for market share with competitors such as Box, SugarSync, Mozy, EVault and others, April 23 launched a new feature that makes it easier for non-Dropbox people to use files stored in the cloud.

Using the new collaboration feature, Dropbox subscribers now can send a Web link connecting the files or folders in the account to non-Dropbox receivers using the service's desktop, Web or mobile application.

Business presentations, home movies--even entire folders--can be opened and viewed immediately without having to sign in, download anything or open files separately.

For example, once a home video is stored in the Dropbox cloud, the link to it can be sent to a friend or acquaintance, who then simply clicks on the link to view the video--without needing to download the file or open an attachment.

Waiting in the wings in the war of the cloud is Google Drive - the anticipated file-sharing system from Google, possibly out this week. And add to that, possible additions to Apple's iCloud later this year (most likely tied to OSX Mountain Lion).

The war for the cloud is in full swing. While I'll continue to use Dropbox and iCloud, I had no problem grabbing my 25Gb of storage from Sky Drive. :)

Just upgraded my SkyDrive account to 25GB.
SkyDrive used to be 25GB free for everyone, but now they are reducing the free storage to 7GB.

For those who have a SkyDrive account, and have uploaded at least one file to it before April 22: you can still upgrade it (back to 25GB) for free, but you need to act quickly! Make sure to login to your Live/SkyDrive account and request the upgrade before the end of this month, or you may lose the extra storage. If you have already uploaded more than 4 GB to your SkyDrive, then your account is probably already upgraded to the new 25GB account. But if you haven't used your SkyDrive account at all, you are out of luck!

Just upgraded my SkyDrive account to 25GB.
SkyDrive used to be 25GB free for everyone, but now they are reducing the free storage to 7GB.

Sort of...

The down side is that Microsoft is cutting the default SkyDrive storage capacity from a very generous 25GB down to 7GB. It is actually a dramatic improvement, though. Even with the 25GB of storage, you could only sync 5GB using Live Mesh, and the maximum file size was limited to 100MB. Now, you can upload files up to 2GB, and you can keep the entire SkyDrive synced automatically.

For me, the biggest limitation of the SkyDrive on iOS devices is that it's not yet supported by QuickOffice or DocsToGo. Once these apps support it directly (hopefully soon), then I will be using it more actively.

For me, the biggest limitation of the SkyDrive on iOS devices is that it's not yet supported by QuickOffice or DocsToGo. Once these apps support it directly (hopefully soon), then I will be using it more actively.

I barely if ever use it, but I took the 25GB of storage. Never know when it comes in handy. My 80GB of storage on Dropbox - which is supported by pretty much everything I use - works perfectly on iOS. :)

I also took advantage of the 25 GB of free storage, thanks to reading this thread. I do not use it much but sometimes it was used within the email system since I use hotmail.

Well, my free DrobBox is only 2GB. Compared to that, my free 25GB SkyDrive is huge!
Also, unlike DropBox, SkyDrive allows me to edit documents directly in the browser, without downloading anything (using Office Web Apps). This comes handy in certain situations (when used on someone else's computer for example).

My entire work documents are in Dropbox, so I have no problem whatsoever spending $100 per year for 59gb, and another $30 for lifetime version control. The extra 30 came from referrals, and a few promos they have had. I will take Microsoft's 25gb of storage, but have no intention of abandoning Dropbox. It has been a lifesaver on more than a few occasions, and it provides me with the ability to access everything I ever need on my iPad, in numerous ways.

Ok, installed google drive -- because I have paid storage with them (bought a long time ago, for photos through Picassa), it shows me having 80GB of storage available, and all of my google docs files are now in the google drive folder. I have a $20 plan (annual for 80GB) that is no longer offered. They are showing 100GB for $60 a year ($5/month) or 200GB for $120 ($10/mo). And my 80GB was increased to 85Gb with the free storage.

On OSX all three programs - dropbox, drive, and sky drive have an icon on the top menu bar of the mac. Unfortunately, for Sky Drive, when it is running, the app also shows up in the dock (which I do not want to waste precious dock space for. They look to all use the same Dropbox model, of put a file in the folder, it syncs, and is accessible from the web and from other machines. The google drive interface on the web looks like google docs, that same interface that google has slapped on everything in the past six months.

I suspect I will not bother much with sky drive, and use google drive as a second form of backup for dropbox. I don't see much need to stay with Spyder Oak, the backup I was using.

this be great if they do it for ipad. i could have my androids,pc's and ipad all together.

Says it is coming soon.

But the real key is when apps integrate support. I suspect we'll see many apps provide Google Drive support before SkyDrive. Just a hunch, but I'd put money on it.

I use the Buffalo CloudStor with the Pogoplug to create my own cloud based service. I have 4 TB worth of storage available in the two 2 TB hard drives I put in the enclosure. There are no monthly / yearly fees, others can access my cloud if I let them on their own device, and others can add their own drives to the setup to share files amongst everyone else on my cloud too. The only cost is the data streaming, but you have to pay for that anyways with these other services on top of their yearly fees.

I use the Buffalo CloudStor with the Pogoplug to create my own cloud based service. I have 4 TB worth of storage available in the two 2 TB hard drives I put in the enclosure. There are no monthly / yearly fees, others can access my cloud if I let them on their own device, and others can add their own drives to the setup to share files amongst everyone else on my cloud too. The only cost is the data streaming, but you have to pay for that anyways with these other services on top of their yearly fees.

Where's your redundancy? All of the cloud implementations have built in redundancy and based on your description, you have none. Lose a drive, lose data. Maybe you haven't communicated properly; I can only go by what you've typed here.

Is it a dumb move on Apple's part not to have support for iCloud on Android? There are 3rd party apps that allow for syncing between portions of iCloud, but nothing from Apple.

In the long term, yes a dumb move. Given its limited implementation right now, probably not. iCloud truly is an integrated iOS syncing service: address book, book marks, tasks, email, music, photo stream, iOS backup, and for iWork's users, limited file storage. But iCloud truly is not setup like Dropbox or Google Drive. I expect to see that once ML comes out this summer, but even then I would not expect it for android. Not the way Apple works. Not saying good or bad, just reality.

There is iCloud support for windows 7 though. I have it setup on two machines.

Even in its limited capacity, iCloud really works great. Designed for the iOS / osx ecosystem and does that function extremely well. I love that my iPhone photos are automatically on my mac, and on my iPad.

Rocky:

I'm keeping you intellecually honest on the topic. If it's bad for one to lack X, it is bad for the other as well.

It's good to see this much competition in the market for cloud-based storage services rolling out in such a short time. Does Amazon have a product in this space?

Rocky:

I'm keeping you intellecually honest on the topic. If it's bad for one to lack X, it is bad for the other as well.

It's good to see this much competition in the market for cloud-based storage services rolling out in such a short time. Does Amazon have a product in this space?

No, I stand by what I said. I think my response was completely honest -- I just don't see them DOING IT. :) I also edited my post to correct some iPad-typing errors. :) But if iCloud morphs this summer, they could offer Android support, I am just not going to Las Vegas with those odds. :D

Amazon doesn't have the same thing, quite yet. Not at the desktop level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)