LG LM6700 - Need Antiglare overlay - Recomendations?

uponthemountain

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Goode VA
Just upgraded my now ancient first generation Sony Bravia XBR , that had a "Matte" screen. ( Subjectively It had zero reflection. and near zero glare)

I now have an LG 47LM6700, that .. like most current LED lit LCDs ... has a near mirror glossy surface. Love everything about the TV except the reflections.

Yes, I know there were some TVs out there that have the matte finish and otherwise had reduced glare. But with all things considered, this is the model I ended up with.

Can anyone recommend a safe anti-glare / anti-reflection overlay that both works and doesn't impact the picture too much?

tia

(sorry for the duplicate thread, wasn't sure how to move from my original posting )

Yea I've seen a couple types of these things:
Adhesive backed film to apply
Static (non adhesive) film to apply
Acrylic like that fastens to TV by velcro, straps or adhesive
Acrylic like that "hangs" from the top of the TV

Problem is , they are all expensive , and cant find enough objective evidence of whether or not they can both be trusted to be safe and work.

A few others are:
GlareStopper
NuShield
ViewGuard
TV-Armor
TheScreenProtector ( <- I kind of like the way this appears to work, safe-ish and unobtrusive looking )

http://www.thescreenprotector.com/acatalog/Customer_Services.html

I did check on a couple of the acrylic offerings ( not the above one yet though ) and they wanted over 100 bucks for shipping ( freight, due to size )

And i think it looks like some people might be getting matte acrylic sheets , cut to size, from local glass shops ?

This last idea seems the safe-est but still expensive for an unknown result.

For example, how would you attach the plexi from the glass shop safely and effectively?

also, some are getting from photo framing houses ... museum quality / matte / anti-glare anti-reflection acrylic for large art and posters ?

Still looking at options and looking for any feedback or experience.

Last edited:
Holy cow. Local framing company wanted 800$ for the matte/anti glare acrylic !!

So far, other local locations checked do not carry.

The online prices looking better all the time, as is the "tv-protector" ( recommended by KAB ) for its total shipped cost. (BestBuy also sells this as a market place item )

trying to get the specs of the locations of the "adhesive strips" ... my TV has less than a half inch border to attach to.

Tv-Protector ordered

"Anti-Glare TV Screen Protector for 47 inch LCD, LED or Plasma TV"

Fingers crossed ... Just in case it helps somebody here in the future, I'll drop a note to advise how it works out.

Received and am using.

My opinion ( your mileage my vary )

It sets on the front of the tv easily since it has about a one inch lip on the top. The lip has four little offset rubber like feet that help it grip the top cleanly.
The front hangs relatively close to the surface of the LCD and does not impact the clarity or color except for a small amount of brightness.
It comes with a strap for the back to keep it safely in place but we are not using.
It also comes with adhesive tabs to affix to front, but we are not using those either

Anti reflection? Absolutely. The mirror affect is almost gone. The reflections are now diffused dramatically. So for an example we have one wall that is almost all glass and daylight viewing resulted in extreme reflection of an almost mirror image of that wall. But with this product , in bright daylight we see a diffused glow.

Anti glare? Somewhat. It removed the general glare, but now things like the diffused reflections from the windows look like glare.

Bottom line. While not perfect, It helped dramatically and passed the wife test.

She said "I don't see myself any more "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)