Lighted remote?

xfoneguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Duvall, WA
Anyone have a clue as to why Dish seems to be virtually the only manufacturer of A/V equipment that doesn't have a lighted remote? DTV had at least one.

Watching tv after dark is really a pain! There are some good universals out there, but I still am partial to the OEM. Maybe I'm missing something?

Xfoneguy

Probably because it "costs too much money" (in the voice of Charlie). I do think the coming enhanced remote due for when the new UI launches does have the numbers lit only when needed, but I don't know about the rest of the remote being back-lit. Also, voice commands, etc. and have far fewer buttons than the current standard remotes. It will be an upgrade remote available for around the $20 price point I last gleaned. Mom wants one of those new remotes NOW!

I can feel my way around the remote when it's too dark to see. It's not as fast as a visual but is doable.

I think a lighted remote would drive me nuts. After a week or so of using, I have the remote virtually memorized. With the lighted remote, I feel like I would be to reliant on that feature, and since I would likely be watching in bed, would keep me awake.

The best design would be to have one where you could turn on/off the lighted keypad feature as well as the delay time to have the keypad dim again. Covers both types of user wants. Like the Harmony and other remotes offer in their settings.

Seems the new remote will be a lot less complex regarding the number of buttons to push so may be easier to work in low light areas. At 0:54 you can see that the middle (assuming touchpad) section will have designated areas for numbers. Maybe they may light up when the function you are using requires a number selection? Guess we'll find out someday.

The best design would be to have one where you could turn on/off the lighted keypad feature as well as the delay time to have the keypad dim again. Covers both types of user wants. Like the Harmony and other remotes offer in their settings.

Seems the new remote will be a lot less complex regarding the number of buttons to push so may be easier to work in low light areas. At 0:54 you can see that the middle (assuming touchpad) section will have designated areas for numbers. Maybe they may light up when the function you are using requires a number selection? Guess we'll find out someday.

I agree, to us the choice to offer a light up feature on the remote would be nice. But given the history of Dish, choice will not be given. It is either it does or doesn't light up. As far as the remote release, will almost bet it comes out when the UI does to work together. They would just pair together so beautifully.

I agree, to us the choice to offer a light up feature on the remote would be nice. But given the history of Dish, choice will not be given.

Isn't it a bit ironic (maybe a bit hypocritical?) in that in the video they lather up the customer experience to almost like the customer is a god and what they say is what Dish will design to but in reality are not as flexible to respond. Now, they nor any company can please every customer or incorporate every single request from a customer. I get that. But when designing the hardware and software, adding things that the user can create or modify their customer experience where/when applicable could be their key differentiator to competition. Let's be honest, a lot of this is code based and not very expensive to implement as compared to hardware costs.

Not trying to be cynical as I really do like Dish and their products, but hoping they can take this older attitude of doing only what they think is best and replace it with a more modern, collaborative approach to solving problems and provide a best in class user experience. Make what looks to be an intentional and very polished corporate video the vehicle to make that change. Finger's crossed...

That may be what the voice remote was to do, is give us middle ground and offer the opportunity to have the best tech from a provider. We shall see what the future holds. I will say, though, I am an apple guy, and the way that Dish controls it's receiver are very similar to Apple. You only have so much customization, but for the most part, it will be set up in a way that will be considered simple by the masses. I wonder if there is anything to that, between the equipment industry in telecommunications.

I doubt the new remotes ever see the light of day in consumers hands.
I think the new remotes will be a reality because Dish has no choice but to keep up with what current remotes from others can do today and to finally offer a full-featured but fewer button remotes with state of the art tech, not that old EZ remote they put out fro the elders. I think Dish views the remote as the companion to the new UI for those who like Siri and Hey Google and Amazon's Echo. No question, most subscribers will view the new remote as an unnecessary upgrade, but Voice today is a whole better than it ever was, and voice activation or search, etc, is an extreme desire for older subscribers who just find the current remote has far too many buttons to deal with and many of the buttons are too small and the print on or next to them can't be read easily by older folks, so they NEVER use any of the more advanced features of a Dish box they know exits as much as they would LOVE to use the Search function but not as it is today because it is too difficult to begin the process and then have to "type in" a string if needed, but it would be with Voice feature that makes it easy and intuitive for regular Joe, just to name one enhanced experience by voice.

If Charlie had a back lit remote, he would probably charge $5 extra per month for it. I watch tv in the dark and my fingers know where each button is and I have no problem.

Reactions: Tron2012
If Charlie had a back lit remote, he would probably charge $5 extra per month for it. I watch tv in the dark and my fingers know where each button is and I have no problem.

Charlie doesn't need a lighted remote.
With his money he just hires a person to walk around with him carrying a flashlight to shine on his remote when he wants to use it. ;)

So far the best remote I have used is the X1's. It lights up when it senses movement and then turns off shortly after.Only downfall is it eats batteries pretty quickly. D*'s lighted remote was okay but you had to push a button to turn it on and off. I have high hopes for Dish's new remote although it does not light up I hope the voice integration works as good as the X1's

I guess I'm just stuck with L******Tech's remotes. I really miss my D*TV remotes. For those who would object to a little bit of light for whatever reason, how difficult would it be to add "on/off"? At nite when my bedroom is dark so my wife can sleep, I have to use a freakin' flashlight to find the right button(s). Talk about the "dark ages" (pun intended). Thanks everyone for all your input

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)