Linksys Router

Chris36

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2009
Rhode Island
Hi,

I have a question. I have Cox Internet they said my Linksys might be slowing down my speed. It's - 2.4 Speed Booster I had it for several years now. They said I can call Linksys or buy a new one. My speed with out Linksys is about 30 Mbps and with it it's between 16 and 20 Mbps. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Or should I just buy a new router? Or are there any other things I can try to do? Or is it normal for it to be slower on a router?

Thanks,
Chris

Well, first of all, when you say it's between 16 and 20 Mbps, is that over the wireless connection or wired to the Linksys? If wireless, then its not that unexpected. The max wireless link rate if 54Mbps, but real data rates are generally about half that speed or lower. If its over the wired connection to the router, then its time to upgrade the Linksys. Your wired rates on the Linksys should be the same as the wired rates directly hooked up to the cable modem.

Newer routers (with 11n) provide some better wireless rates, if your computer hardware will support those rates.

When it's between 16 mbps and 20 Mbps with Linksys. And when it was hooked up directly to the Modem it was about 30 Mbps. The guy I talked to said it should be between 25 and 30 Mbps when it's hooked to Linksys so I wasn't sure if that's correct or not.

Chris

I would suggest changing the router out then. Most of the home routers never thought that the home rates would surpass much over 10Mbps. I have one older router that the WAN connection is only 10Mbps. The micro-controller is probably not very fast to handle the new higher rates of speed. Something like an Apple Airport Extreme, or Netgear N600 or N750 would work just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)