Linux, GQRX, 70cm band, D-star, Fusion decode?

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, anybody tried decoding some of the digital amateur radio on the 70cm band?

I have GQRX running on a Debian 10 desktop connecting to a Raspberry Pi 3+ at the antenna using TCP.

Trying to figure out what might be the best and least complex way to do this.

Really like GQRX and would prefer to stay with it if I can.

DSP, FLDIGI, SDRANGEL, something else?

Thanks for any ideas

Attachments

• 70cmDigital.gif
    70cmDigital.gif
    200.4 KB · Views: 257
For voice modes, you will need the proper codecs. Most are under license. Here are a few links for AMBE.

AMBE-3000 vocoder - www.dvsinc.com/products/a300x.shtml

Thanks for the info. Still trying to figure out how all this encoded digital stuff got onto the 70cm amateur radio band. It's been a long time since I took my licence test but I thought closed propriety codecs were not suppose to be used for amateur radio. Clearly encryption is not to be used so the radio manufactures must have figured out a way to skate around the rules. So far I have found very little open analog FM on 70cm. It's been a while since I had HF equipment but there was lots of open digital on HF, PSK31, RTTY Etc. It could all be received with software. Has this changed too?

In most regions, 2m, 1.25 and 70cm bands and repeaters were quiet most of the time. Digital modes are breathing new life into these under-utilized frequencies.

The digital voice signals on amateur bands are not encrypted, but reception requires a compatible receiver. You may built your own device using a readily available AMBE IC chip that supports decoding of all common digital non-encrypted voice modes. An AMBE based device (example: USB dongle) allows a licensed amateur to access many nodes and repeaters using only a computer or link through a local node. Free DV (a digital voice mode) is a free option, but rarely used. It is an option to the DMR/DStar/C4FM/P25/etc. used by the major manufacturers.

We switched our 70cm repeater from analog FM to C4FM last December. The repeater went from DOA (2 or 3 users per week) to 20 - 30 users per day. We are also linked to a few other local repeaters using DGID and IMRS, an option for local repeater users to connect to any Wires-X or FCS/YSF room or node (in or out). Many listeners via broadcastify (smart phone/tablet apps or computers) or connect to our repeaters via Echolink, AllStarLink and Wires-X. Many ways to access digital and analog repeaters and nodes. A lot of activity beyond the FM analog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)