Local ads on national channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AndThenScottSays

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 20, 2008
North Carolina
I was curious if anyone knew the details on how the nationwide cable channels are fed. Twice now I have seen ads for NC's senate race on ESPN. These are during the carrier insertion portion of breaks. They're surrounded by Dish promos or other SD ads that were definitely inserted by Dish. Are these ads airing across the entire Eastern Arc or does Dish have a means of targeting ads locally on national channels?

Yes, they are here in Iowa, in droves. Seeing them on NBCSN, Fox Sports 1 and other national channels via DirecTV.

The cable system has been able to do local inserts for years, but this is the first time I'm seeing them on satellite.

There was a press release about Dish and DTV going to start doing this for the elections, last year. I will try and find something about it when I got to lunch in a few hours, but they target DMA's and based on your programming, or something if the nature, can shoot down paid for political ads. No encouragement one way or another, just who is willing to pay.

In the Spokane market, I haven't seen any locally inserted political ads, but I have seen numerous ads for national brands and one for an off brand riding lawn mower. These local ads are annoying to jump through, often causing me to end up 30 seconds or so into the program after the commercial break ends. And when I skip back, if I'm not careful, I magically end up at the beginning of the local ad all over again.

I'm sure it has to do with the zip code of your receiver and then the ads are downloaded separately to the receiver and then overlayed at the right playback time.

I'm sure it has to do with the zip code of your receiver and then the ads are downloaded separately to the receiver and then overlayed at the right playback time.
With DVR receivers, yes, this is how it's understood to operate. If you have a non-DVR though, not sure how it works....

For those that have seen these "local" ads, if you have a DVR, rewind and try and watch that ad a 2nd time. If I'm not mistaken, it won't be there.

I switched over from CBS to the NFL network for Thursday Night Football, and didn't notice any political ads (thank god).

With DVR receivers, yes, this is how it's understood to operate. If you have a non-DVR though, not sure how it works....

For those that have seen these "local" ads, if you have a DVR, rewind and try and watch that ad a 2nd time. If I'm not mistaken, it won't be there.

Yes they are. As I mentioned above, if you are not careful when jumping back, you end up queued to the beginning of the spot.

I switched over from CBS to the NFL network for Thursday Night Football, and didn't notice any political ads (thank god).

As did I but not to avoid the political commercials, that was a nice extra, the NFL network just seems to have a better picture than my local CBS. Could be my imagination.

Yep, was seeing lots of Bruce Rauner local ads inserted on HLN last month (obviously NOT now...)
At first I thought WOW, Bruce is SO rich, he can afford to buy national ad time on a cable channel - but then I went & tried rewinding during the ad, & it went back to the national ad...which is when it dawned on me that it was being inserted off the Ho HDD; I actually didn't know E* was doing this now.

If you have a DVR, why would you watch the ads in the first place?

That's what I think, as well. Also, there are several commercial ads for businesses and service besides local political ads.

Sometimes it is still there, other times it is not.

My 2 complaints about this local ad drop-in are the following:
1. NOT in HD.
2. Will OFTEN end and return to programming AFTER it has already resumed. This is really annoying that we miss part of the programming due to the stupid local ads.

I suspect the reason the ads aren't HD is because they send the same ads to SD and HD receivers. Could they do HD and SD as applicable ? Probably, but it's much simpler this way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts