Local Broadcast change

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PACKERFAN58

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
illinois
:confused: Can someone explain to me the following notice on the DIrectv Website:

We will soon be changing how we broadcast local channels in your zip code.
This may require a free upgrade to your DIRECTV equipment. To find out if you
qualify for an upgrade, call 1-888-763-7772. Mention "Free 72 Local Swap" at the
voice prompt.
Thanks

A loyal Directv customer

Have the same thing when I log into my account. We just got ours installed a few months ago so not sure I really need any new equipment. Have a slimline, 2 HR24s and a H24.

Just a guess, but from the message, it sounds like your signal is coming off the 72 sat and they are moving it ?

If so, you could be in a HD only market and the recvrs you. Guys are using don't handle HD.

Like Jimbo said, you are in a market where your local channels come from the satellite at 72.5 degrees. They are moving to a different satellite that needs new equipment to get the signal. They will give you the upgraded receivers/dvrs for free. What you will get is what is used to get hd channels, but you won't get them without paying for hd access, which is free if you have your bill paid automatically every month. If you have an hd tv this is a good deal for you. If you don't then maybe you should get one!

Do you currently have 2 dishes on the roof?

If no, then you have nothing to worry about and you're already setup

Basically what happened is the locals in your market started on 72.5 which required a separate dish. About a year or so ago they mirrored them on either 99 or 103 in HD. New customers got the right equipment and most folks have already upgraded. If you havent call them up. They will give you a new dish (HD dish) and if you have any SD receivers they will replace them with HD for FREE

Here is the cool part. If you add receivers, you pay the SD price but get the HD version :)

That's what I said Iceberg, but you made it make sense!

Just asking but did you even try "call 1-888-763-7772. Mention Free 72 Local Swap at the
voice prompt. " ? Just saying..

also if a person is in a MPEG4 market they dont need HD access to get their locals in HD

If you do NOT have HD access, ALL your receivers are locked down to 480i - so while you ARE picking up the local HD feeds, you do NOT get to actually watch them in HD - EVEN your HD locals. I've seen it myself here in our market...

Status
Please reply by conversation.