Local Channels out

bonnjer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
Yesterday, I noticed that my local channels went out for a little while, but that was during a heavy rain, so I didn't think anything of it. They came back shortly after the storm passed. This afternoon, though, the skies have been clear and whenever I tune to any local channel it gives me a Complete Signal Loss 015A message and then changes to Local Channels Interrupted 536. Am I being impatient with an outage (they usually don't last this long)? All other channels seem to be working normally. If anyone needs more of my system info, please let me know. Thanks.

Update after more observation of the problem:

I'm now leaning toward it being a signal strength issue. When the local channels are on and I check the signal strength, it's about 12-17. Other SD channels that I don't normally watch have no signal. My HD channels are mostly fine (signal strength around 30), but they did go out for a couple minutes yesterday with a light rain. I'm guessing that some recent winds have knocked it slightly out of alignment.

Another issue that I'm having is that my program guide is getting "stuck" on occasion. For example, it currently will only go out to 10 pm tonight. I tried restarting the Hopper and updating the guide, but it won't update. Would signal strength cause this to happen?

Thanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Update after more observation of the problem:

I'm now leaning toward it being a signal strength issue. When the local channels are on and I check the signal strength, it's about 12-17. Other SD channels that I don't normally watch have no signal. My HD channels are mostly fine (signal strength around 30), but they did go out for a couple minutes yesterday with a light rain. I'm guessing that some recent winds have knocked it slightly out of alignment.

Another issue that I'm having is that my program guide is getting "stuck" on occasion. For example, it currently will only go out to 10 pm tonight. I tried restarting the Hopper and updating the guide, but it won't update. Would signal strength cause this to happen?

Thanks!
Yes, it would. If your signal strength is at 30, you definitely need a realignment. You should call DISH for a truck roll.

Yes, it would. If your signal strength is at 30, you definitely need a realignment. You should call DISH for a truck roll.
Forgive my ignorance on this, but is there any difference between calling DISH for this or calling my local DISH retailer who installed the system? Are there charges for realignment?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Forgive my ignorance on this, but is there any difference between calling DISH for this or calling my local DISH retailer who installed the system? Are there charges for realignment?
I'm not sure if it's same for all retailers but they would technically need a work order to go out. They may go out without one bit would for sure charge you and is against dish policies. I would just call the main dish and if you have a protection plan it will be free or if you don't you can argue with them and they'll waive the fees.
1-800-333-3474

Sorry everyone, I meant to update earlier in the week and got busy.

I called my local retailer on Tuesday, as they had installed the system. The lady looked up my information and confirmed I had the protection plan, so she scheduled a technician to come out. He was able to come by on Thursday afternoon. He actually got here 45 minutes early and called me right before arriving. I was still on my way home from work and about 8 minutes from home. By the time I got home, he was packing up. It took him about 6 or 7 minutes, at most, to connect his signal meter, get it aligned, and replace a couple of nuts and bolts. We came in and checked out the signal. Local channels had been around 12 to 14 and are now around 44. HD channels were around 30 and now around 65. No more issues with the program guide getting stuck, either. Happily able to watch football all weekend long. :)

Sorry everyone, I meant to update earlier in the week and got busy.

I called my local retailer on Tuesday, as they had installed the system. The lady looked up my information and confirmed I had the protection plan, so she scheduled a technician to come out. He was able to come by on Thursday afternoon. He actually got here 45 minutes early and called me right before arriving. I was still on my way home from work and about 8 minutes from home. By the time I got home, he was packing up. It took him about 6 or 7 minutes, at most, to connect his signal meter, get it aligned, and replace a couple of nuts and bolts. We came in and checked out the signal. Local channels had been around 12 to 14 and are now around 44. HD channels were around 30 and now around 65. No more issues with the program guide getting stuck, either. Happily able to watch football all weekend long. :)
Awesome. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: MikeD-C05