Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
Just wanted to document my positive experience with a DTronics DVI switch. Mine is a 2 X 1 model and I got it from Digital Connection. My setup is a Sammy HLN507W DLP monitor, Sammy DVD-HD931 upscaling DVD player, and a Dish 811 HD DBS & OTA receiver.

Oh, and it also looks good, so I didn't have much problem w/ the WAF. She gave me a "No Way" when I showed her a picture of the alternative unit.

Yes. No. Yes.

There are several on-line vendors who sell them. This is where I bought mine. They have a real brick-and-mortar store in Southern CA, so I felt secure with a larger dollar purchase. Prices don't vary much between vendors, but these guys had a good deal on good DVI cables w/ purchase of the switch, so I went for it.

Digital Connection

http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/ds21r.asp

Carl B said:
Just wanted to document my positive experience with a DTronics DVI switch. Mine is a 2 X 1 model and I got it from Digital Connection. My setup is a Sammy HLN507W DLP monitor, Sammy DVD-HD931 upscaling DVD player, and a Dish 811 HD DBS & OTA receiver.

Looks like we have a similar setup, Carl. Thanks for the links. How do you like the DVI video from the 811 and how do you handle the second audio input from the 811, or are you just using a home theater system?

I don't always want to turn on my home theater system, so I use the PC audio in on the 507W from my DVD player, but with only 1 PC audio in, I'd have to use some Y connectors to do the job...not my preferred method.

I like the DVI output from my 811 to my Sammy better than the component output. After E* screwed up a perfect DVI PQ a few software revisions ago, I've had to keep tickering with tuning the Sammy to get an optimum PQ in various situations. Therefore, component sometimes looks better on certain situations before I re-tune DVI. However the ultimate test, ESPN_HD SNF, clearly shows the superiority of DVI PQ over component.

I run all of my audio feeds through my Sony A/V receiver. For TV/Sat sound I'm using the 811's DD output. I route one of the 811's stereo audio outputs to my DVDR/VCR and the other to my A/V receiver as a back up for when an OTA DTV channel has excessive DD sound dropouts.

I run all of my video feeds, except composite, direct from the source to the Sammy. I let the A/V receiver switch the composite feeds, which I rarely view.

I'm using component outs to my Sammy from the 811 as I've got my DVD931 plugged into the DVI input.

I've got the 811 optical out and my 931 optical out going to my Denon A/V preamp. 5 power amps later, it's great home theater, but 5 power amps generate a lot of heat after running 3-4 hours. I had my system tri-amp'd when it was just a high-end audio system, but when I undertook my home theater project a couple of years ago, I had to decide: spend $4k-$5k for a 5-channel amp with so-so wattage or buy two more amps at around $700 each to complete the setup? Well, the decision was pretty obvious, and a spire fan keeps the amps cool but my home theater room gets rather warm after 3-4 hours, and opening the door tends to trash the general acoustics.

Maybe in 6-8 months, I'll rethink my setup when the price of the 5 and 6 channel amps drops more and the wattage comes up a bit more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live Video Feed Now Available!

MPEG-4 Video Over IEEE 1394 Gets Closer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)