Looking for low noise LNBF, 0.03-0.1 Db with rectangular mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Leonid

Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I am looking for low noise LNBF (01.3-0.1 dB) compatible with rectangular tube arms for the Galaxy 19 satellite, the freq. range is around 11.70-12,25 GH.

Found several LNBF that seemed to fit, but the mount did not fit.

Any suggestions on the known products. I am using Digiwave dish, 33'.

Thanks

Check out Satellite AV, one of the sponsors here. I think he calls it an SL-2 and it is $15. Probably won't be as low noise db as you want, but that's only possible with professional grade lnbf's and they don't come in a rectangular base plus they cost big bucks. I hope this helps.

Check out Satellite AV, one of the sponsors here. I think he calls it an SL-2 and it is $15. Probably won't be as low noise db as you want, but that's only possible with professional grade lnbf's and they don't come in a rectangular base plus they cost big bucks. I hope this helps.

SatelliteAV has closed out this LNBF and it is now removed from our website. Phlatwound may have a few for sale..... :)

.03NR LNBs might exist, but my guess would be that it would have a triple or quad digit price tag. Even .1NR would be rare and extremely expensive. They exist in the retail marketing handbook, but I would challenge anyone to produce and verify a low cost (below $50) over the counter LNBF that is actually lower than a .3NR.

Last edited:
SatelliteAV has closed out this LNBF and it is now removed from our website. Phlatwound may have a few for sale..... :)

.03NR LNBs might exist, but my guess would be that it would have a triple or quad digit price tag. Even .1NR would be rare and extremely expensive. They exist in the retail marketing handbook, but I would challenge anyone to produce and verify a low cost (below $50) over the counter LNBF that is actually lower than a .3NR.
Brian,
Thanks for the update on the SL-2 LNBF. They are kind of hard to find now days. I used one on a DTV Slimline dish to get 30W, but I understand there is probably not much demand for them anymore. I know some manufacturors push their LNB's as having a very low noise ratio when they actually can't acheive it.:) Have a nice day.

Larry

Check the various reviews of the different LNBF's in the review section as well as search for the various posts by the members here for home made LNB brackets. A little work in making your own LNB bracket will result in being able to select from a greater variety of LNBF's.

Low noise lnbf for DWD-80E2-SMTA dish

The dish I am using is:

DWD-80E2-SMTA

Looking for quality, low noise LNBF. Ideally: 0.1 dB, 0.2 dB, 0.3 dB.
I am picking only transponder 3 from Galaxy 19, which is 5 channles,
2 of which I can watch with interest. Should be able to get more without
bigger dish.

The dish I am using is:

DWD-80E2-SMTA

Looking for quality, low noise LNBF. Ideally: 0.1 dB, 0.2 dB, 0.3 dB.
I am picking only transponder 3 from Galaxy 19, which is 5 channles,
2 of which I can watch with interest. Should be able to get more without
bigger dish.
progress.gif
The LNB I am using has 0.6 dB noise, and it is probably worst than specs say.

I have had good reception with the Invacom Quad, but it does not have a rectangular mount. You would have to fabricate a mount of your own, or purchase a LNB holder and fit it to your dish. The Invacom quad is a heavy unit though, so if used, one needs to check to see if the LNB arm sags with the weight and add supports from the dish to the arm if needed. Also, don't just judge an LNBF by its noise rating, but also factor in stability, or drift. A lower dB number is not always better.......
Also realize, that if you can't get the other transponders now, replacing the LNBF may just give you enough to make it marginal where you loose the signal with any light weather. A higher gain dish (not just bigger dish) is the way to get a reliable signal.

My money is on one of these factors:
The dish is either out of alignment, reflector warped or damaged, LNBF arm bent (placing LNBF out of the sweet spot), incorrect LNBF skew, or possibly a bad LNBF. A lower NR LNBF will not provide noticeable change in Signal Quality for the issues you have described.

I would recommend getting a larger dish - designed for one LNB. It will have higher gain and be better in foul weather. The dish you have was designed for multiple high power subscription satellites. The FTA satellites need a bigger dish especially the further north one goes.
Bob

My money is on one of these factors:
The dish is either out of alignment, reflector warped or damaged, LNBF arm bent (placing LNBF out of the sweet spot), incorrect LNBF skew, or possibly a bad LNBF. A lower NR LNBF will not provide noticeable change in Signal Quality for the issues you have described.

Agreed... Those LNBFs with the super low noise factor specs are generally no better than any normal LNBF... and are probably, in fact, IDENTICAL to any normal LNBF. Noise specs are highly overrated and the ones below .4 are questionable. I've had a .9 high stability LNB perform on pace with an Invacom .3.

I have had good reception with the Invacom Quad, but it does not have a rectangular mount. You would have to fabricate a mount of your own, or purchase a LNB holder and fit it to your dish. The Invacom quad is a heavy unit though, so if used, one needs to check to see if the LNB arm sags with the weight and add supports from the dish to the arm if needed. Also, don't just judge an LNBF by its noise rating, but also factor in stability, or drift. A lower dB number is not always better.......
Also realize, that if you can't get the other transponders now, replacing the LNBF may just give you enough to make it marginal where you loose the signal with any light weather. A higher gain dish (not just bigger dish) is the way to get a reliable signal.

What is a good example of a higher gain dish suitable for Galaxy 19.

What is a good example of a higher gain dish suitable for Galaxy 19.

Would suggest a 90cm minimum dish size. I won't recommend a dish brand as that would just be shameless self promotion... LOL!!! :D

Other members will certainly have suggestions and preferences. :cool:

Here's a good example here:

36" / 90cm Free To Air FTA Satellite Dish and .4 LNBF - eBay (item 110433609885 end time Oct-05-10 17:35:00 PDT)

Dishes any larger than that starting getting REAL pricey to ship.

I totally agree with that recomendation - with only one minor upgrade = the dual output lnbf for about another $15. This gives the option to add a second receiver for the same satellite, with out any switches (just another coax) or to add switches and more coax to add several (many) receivers for the same satellite. I bet a call to Brian and/or crew would get a good deal for that.

Or maybe -- Brian might add an E-Bay special with that! (Not so subtle hint!);)

POP

I just installed a couple of GT-T40C which have .2db. My cheaper D-shaped ROC lnb actually gave a slightly stronger signal than the GT-T40C.

However the advantage of the GT-T40C over the D-shaped ROC is that since my dish is way out in the back yard, the cheaper ROC could not dfferentiate the voltages between H and V at such a distance. The voltage drop caused problems for the cheaper lnb while the GT was still able to switch back and forth correctly.

Last edited:
Brian,
Thanks for the update on the SL-2 LNBF. They are kind of hard to find now days. I used one on a DTV Slimline dish to get 30W, but I understand there is probably not much demand for them anymore. I know some manufacturors push their LNB's as having a very low noise ratio when they actually can't acheive it.:) Have a nice day.

Larry

Just found 4 more. Want them gone. $8 each plus shipping? Call if your interested.

8866.jpg

Attachments

• For Reception of North American Satellites.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 278
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newtrouble with NBC C-band?

Mixing VID and different AID streams on same transponder...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)