Looking for new fta reciever.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CoolJoe

Original poster
Dec 4, 2015
Kansas
Since I got rid of my Sonicview 360 a few years back because it was turning into a real job to get it work,viruses or something,I have been looking at the latest recievers and came upon one called a Openbox V8s,it looks to be something in my price range and needed some input,first,do I need an internet connection(i have)and does it have built in WIFI because my cable modem is in a room away from my TV.
I have a motorized 90cm dish,will it setup to work this?
With all this said,any other reciever recommendations that would be better?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Not familiar with that box. There are so many boxes out there with the open box name slapped on them. It makes it hard to know how good of a box that it is. If I were to get a new box right now, I would head over to www.hypermegasat.com, and grab a linkbox 9000i. Great little box, and Casey will treat you right if you have problems with it.

If you get the V8, do a review here. But would venture to guess that support may be problematic. Haven't noticed any trusted dealer offering them.
I don't think it needs an internet connection unless you want the youtube feature. (I'd rather use my computer w/ 46 in monitor/TV) Should work with your motor. Reason for review - to let others know. FWIW don't think any member here has mentioned this rcvr before.

If you get the V8, do a review here. But would venture to guess that support may be problematic. Haven't noticed any trusted dealer offering them.
I don't think it needs an internet connection unless you want the youtube feature. (I'd rather use my computer w/ 46 in monitor/TV) Should work with your motor. Reason for review - to let others know. FWIW don't think any member here has mentioned this rcvr before.
I checked into the openbox and its only for the european market,I got in contact with SatelliteAV and I am ordering a new Geosat Hdvr3500 60gb with wifi built in,it looks like a good one!.

I checked into the openbox and its only for the european market,I got in contact with SatelliteAV and I am ordering a new Geosat Hdvr3500 60gb with wifi built in,it looks like a good one!.
If you haven't already ordered that you may want to rethink it. There have been many issues with that receiver. See more here (LONG thread but worth the read): http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3699918/

Reactions: . Raine and Psikic
I seen it in action on youtube and I think I will give it a try,it has to be better than that Sonicview 360 I had!
Thanks for the headsup though.

Good luck.

You seem to have your mind made up already, but you'll get a lot more info out of reading the threads here on the 3500 with the experiences of multiple people using the 3500, rather than from just one person making a YouTube video.

It's a expensive receiver, I would use more than just a video to justify buying it.

grab a linkbox 9000i
We have the 8000 series with the dual tuner, never had a bit of problem with it right out of the box.
Have heard many good things on the 9000i and that one would be the one we would choose but the op appears to have made their decision already.

94efb21b7e2a65037ec43c5260aac43a.jpg

:)

Since I got rid of my Sonicview 360 a few years back because it was turning into a real job to get it work,viruses or something,I have been looking at the latest recievers and came upon one called a Openbox V8s,it looks to be something in my price range and needed some input,first,do I need an internet connection(i have)and does it have built in WIFI because my cable modem is in a room away from my TV.
I have a motorized 90cm dish,will it setup to work this?
With all this said,any other reciever recommendations that would be better?
Thanks!

Got my Geosat pro 3500 today and hooked it up and so far LOVE this thing...the built in WIFI was easy to setup and works flawlessly.
Now...I am having a problem with my motor on my dish,I have a powermax
Sg 9120 that has a red light on it,it moves all the way to the west but will only go about 3 inches to the east slowly then stop,I checked voltage and its OK 14.8 dc volts...motor says it needs 13-18 volts checked volts at reciever and its same 14.8.
Anyone know what it could be?

Check and make sure that you haven't accidentally swapped the latitude and longitude settings for USALS, that could be it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)