Looking for suggestions on AV receiver

Actually, that sounds like the upgrade you need is a Harmony remote. My family immediately caught on to pressing the "watch TV" button. That way they get the better audio without the complexity.

I prefer the harmony-1 for a family friendly unit.
I thought about a harmony. Not really the idea of having to turn the receiver on. She just wants to sit down and watch her shows with TV sound. No need to watch her soaps, sitcoms, or Ellen in surround :) What's also interesting is the iOS apps for most new receivers. Ability to control it from my iPad would be great.

Only question mark I have is no upscaleing with this model. But since I don't watch anything that is not HD anymore. And my PS3 upscale's DVD's. I really think that feature is unneeded. At least for me.:)

I don't use my AVR for scaling either. I always get shot down for saying audio devices handle audio and video devices handle video whenever it's brought up someplace.

S~

I've had a Pioneer 1020 for over a year and it's been very reliable. Great sound and has been flawless with inputs from 2 Pcs, BD player and DVRs from Dish, DirecTV and Comcast. Has a lot of features (including 3D) that I haven't even used. The new models are even lower priced and I consider them good bargains.

I have the same question about a receiver and sound set up. This is coming from someone who qualifies as a novice (at best). We just bought a Sony Bravia for our upstairs TV. We tried out a Polk sound bar and did not like it. Thankfully we were able to return it. I want everything to sound good but particularly the music. I have some older Klipsch speakers that still sound good but have the old wiring. Is a receiver the way to go? It sounds like I should look at Denon. Any thoughts which one or if that is the way to go? We also have Dish TV but we have the dual box downstairs so upstairs only records in digital. OTA is another thought. Any input on that? We have the Bose 3-2-1 downstairs on a bigger screen TV that is about 7-8 years old. Thanks for any input on any of my vague questions!

I have the same question about a receiver and sound set up. This is coming from someone who qualifies as a novice (at best). We just bought a Sony Bravia for our upstairs TV. We tried out a Polk sound bar and did not like it. Thankfully we were able to return it. I want everything to sound good but particularly the music. I have some older Klipsch speakers that still sound good but have the old wiring. Is a receiver the way to go? It sounds like I should look at Denon. Any thoughts which one or if that is the way to go? We also have Dish TV but we have the dual box downstairs so upstairs only records in digital. OTA is another thought. Any input on that? We have the Bose 3-2-1 downstairs on a bigger screen TV that is about 7-8 years old. Thanks for any input on any of my vague questions!

Hmmm, older Klipsch. That resonates with me, as I have KG4s I have used for years and love. I will eventually find a nice set of Cornwalls and place these as the rears. I don't know what you me4an abould older wiring. Do you mean the speaker internal wiring or connection wiring between the amplifier and speaker? If you bought reasonable wire in the first place, it seldom goes bad. Just cut it back a bit and re-strip the ends. I use 12 Ga speaker wire, but 14 gauge power cord will work just fine and be a lot cheaper.

Receivers? Read above. Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and Pioneer all seem to be OK. I believe Denon produces the best quality and Onkyo gives the best bang for the buck. YMMV. I pretty much have the same opinion of soundbars. They serve a purpose of getting you better tv speakers, but they are not for serious viewing.

Generally OTA gives the best picture. Cable and satellite are always compressed, so you tend to lose detail. Give it a try. FWIW, I am in the process of cutting the cord and going strictly with OTA and internet delivered content.

I pretty much have the same opinion of soundbars. They serve a purpose of getting you better tv speakers, but they are not for serious viewing.

I didn't realize you watched your soundbar ;)

On a more serious note, I tend to agree with your recommendations. Denon, followed by Onkyo then Yamaha/Pioneer. None of these will be "bad" and make sure you pay close attention to the features needed.

I agree with the above advice. Although most of my AVRs have been Yamahas, all are good and will serve you well. Look at features first, IMHO.

I don't use my AVR for scaling either. I always get shot down for saying audio devices handle audio and video devices handle video whenever it's brought up someplace.

S~

Im gonna revise my statement here. My Marantz has a ABT2015 chip, which gets good marks, the GT30 does not in scaling. I recently did some back and forth, and IMO, the PQ is better with the Marantz taking 720p/1080i from Directv and scaling it to 1080p/60. The chip is of course OFF on the Oppo and Roku2 inputs :)

I didn't realize you watched your soundbar ;)

On a more serious note, I tend to agree with your recommendations. Denon, followed by Onkyo then Yamaha/Pioneer. None of these will be "bad" and make sure you pay close attention to the features needed.

What no love for Harman/Kardon ?

Not really. I see issues pop up all of the place in BD threads. Too bad, too, because I love my Lexicon.

S~

Well setup my AVR-1912, Very nice, tonight going to try a movie and really test the sound. Feels weird different remote and such but no problems. Air-play is very cool and the remote/iphone,itouch works very nice. Still learning the whole system. That's the fun.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)