Looking forFTA HD FTA box ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cox

Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
seaside
I'm looking to get a new box and i am just racking my brain on which one to get.
I need a FTA HD DVR box I have a motorized 1 meter dish . I would like the option available to purchase paid $ ch. and or I would like to be able to do some testing as well. I do not want IKS. But I do want as many ch. as I can pick up.
Thanks for any ideas
Cox :book

You are not going to be able to have the option to purchase paid ones with a dollar sign here in NA.
If you want a basic receiver under $100 that is very stable go for the Amiko Mini HD SE.
If you want something with a more bells and whistles you definitely want the Amiko A3.
Both of these have DVR functionality, but you like any FTA receiver you will have to purchase a HDD separate.

I'm looking to get a new box and i am just racking my brain on which one to get.
I need a FTA HD DVR box I have a motorized 1 meter dish . I would like the option available to purchase paid $ ch. and or I would like to be able to do some testing as well. I do not want IKS. But I do want as many ch. as I can pick up.
Thanks for any ideas
Cox :book

Hey BOZO, no hack talk here!.. Seems the number of hacking posts are starting to increase here now.

Seems the number of hacking posts are starting to increase here now.
....and where may I find those?
This guy may be a flat out hacker in which case he will not be around long. Then again he may be completely new and wanting the same thing we have no high TV bill, by getting true FTA channels legally.
Best to not be to quick to Judge and eager to educate! :)

"I would like the option available to purchase paid $ ch." " I do not want IKS."
That sounds like the opposite of hacking to me.

Welcome Cox!

The Amiko A3 is a good option if you have decent high speed internet to take full advantage of all the features it offers, I'm on 3G so its not an option for me.

I have both the Amiko Mini HD SE and the Geosat Pro Micro HD.
The Amiko Mini HD SE is a little cheaper these days. It also gives you the option of streaming to other devices over your local LAN. It also has a built in Youtube app. Kinda neat for watching the free TV shows and movies they offer.

I am not a big recorder, so others may chime in on which is better as a DVR, but I believe all three can record.

Here are some highly reputable vendors I have purchased from:

http://www.nc-electronics.com/store.html
http://gotcband.com
http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/

(I hope I have not left any out)

They are also members here.
I don't think I have ever seen them post their own urls so I will do it for them!

....and where may I find those?
This guy may be a flat out hacker in which case he will not be around long. Then again he may be completely new and wanting the same thing we have no high TV bill, by getting true FTA channels legally.
Best to not be to quick to Judge and eager to educate! :)
"I would like the option available to purchase paid $ ch." " I do not want IKS."
That sounds like the opposite of hacking to me.

Welcome Cox!

The Amiko A3 is a good option if you have decent high speed internet, I'm on 3G so its not an option for me.
The Amiko Mini HD SE is a little cheaper these days. It also gives you the option of streaming to other devices. It also has a built in Youtube app. Kinda neat for watching the free TV shows and movies they offer.

I am not a big recorder, so others may chime in on which is better as a DVR, but I believe all three can record.

Here are some highly reputable vendors I have purchased from:

http://www.nc-electronics.com/store.html
http://gotcband.com
http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/

(I hope I have not left any out)

They are also members here.
I don't think I have ever seen them post their own urls so I will do it for them!
Agreed. Let's be sure of someone's motivation. If we want the hobby to grow, or at least not shrink, it won't happen by accusing people of something that may not be the case.

So true.
All of it.
I do want to do FTA stuff not hacking. Its been a little tricky so far but Im ready to get a new receiver . I will look at those options you guys sent me. And I dont think we are killing the hobby it is the special interest groups . years ago when I did this stuff there was all kinds of stuff like news feeds and stuff . So far the only cool thing I found had been the Huntington Beach pier cam. Thanks for all your help
Cox

The Amiko Mini HD SE is a little cheaper these days. It also gives you the option of streaming to other devices over your local LAN. It also has a built in Youtube app. Kinda neat for watching the free TV shows and movies they offer.
I am curious why you got both the Mini HD and the Micro HD. Also, is there anything that you (or others) like about the Geosat compared to the Amiko Mini HD?

I am curious why you got both the Mini HD and the Micro HD. Also, is there anything that you (or others) like about the Geosat compared to the Amiko Mini HD?

FTA and OTA are the only sources of television in my house. I needed many receivers, bedroom, bedroom, den etc.. I already had 3 other receivers including two Micro HDs. I just wanted to get something different to try. The thing I like better about the Micro HD than the Mini HD is the ability to preview the channels in the favorite selection menu screen. On the Mini HD I have to view the channels, write down the ones I want to "favorite", then enter the menu, then favorite the channels from a list. On 97W it can be a chore. The Mini HD can be found cheaper than the Micro HD, has more features and most of all has a better remote. I don't often stream Youtube or stream sat channels to another device all that much, but I have the ability if I wanted to with the Mini HD.
All and all for daily use, for watching FTA, both are quite good.

Reactions: danristheman
FTA and OTA are the only sources of television in my house. I needed many receivers, bedroom, bedroom, den etc.. I already had 3 other receivers including two Micro HDs. I just wanted to get something different to try. The thing I like better about the Micro HD than the Mini HD is the ability to preview the channels in the favorite selection menu screen. On the Mini HD I have to view the channels, write down the ones I want to "favorite", then enter the menu, then favorite the channels from a list. On 97W it can be a chore. The Mini HD can be found cheaper than the Micro HD, has more features and most of all has a better remote. I don't often stream Youtube or stream sat channels to another device all that much, but I have the ability if I wanted to with the Mini HD.
All and all for daily use, for watching FTA, both are quite good.
Thanks Fred and Waylew for your comments. Either one will be a big upgrade from the very old receiver that I have now. I think the mini HD is the better choice for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)