Looking to switch to Voom

DarrellP said:
It's also not worth throwing away $64/month on if you don't watch it, that is not smart money. Voom may have tons of HD, but I can rarely find anything worth watching, I am about a heartbeat away from cancelling. Besides, I am sick and tired of the skeeter noise and Voom (including Wilt), don't give a rat's arse about my issues.

Hey Darrell P give me your account number and I'll make the call for you.
Give it up already!

Darrell,

Whether or not a person considers the money they spend on VOOM "smart money" or not is a matter of personal perspective. We consider it money well spent and this is the first money we've ever spent on cable or satellite (excepting Comcast for our broadband internet connection-we don't have a DSL option).

However, it depends on what you like to watch. We're not sports fans which is still an issue for many VOOMers. We enjoy the movie channels particularly Monsters and many of the VOOM "exclusives". Yes, we could get the OTA HD without the VOOM STB (and did using a Samsung STB) but we like having the PG at our fingertips and the roof mounted OTA antenna VOOM supplied and mounted allows us to get all the stations without dropouts.

I know you are bothered by the PQ and blame VOOM including Wilt for not bringing it up to your standards. As you know as I've posted before we can see some of the PQ issues you can but tolerate what we consider as minor issues. No, the quality isn't as good as our local OTAs (and we haven't compared it to other services on our system) but it is still great for us (and I'm saying this as an audiophile/now videophile as well) even though both of us are critical. And when others see it here we get the "Wow!" reaction. Just depends on your perspective.

Yours is different. I'd suggest you get rid of VOOM which will get rid of your PQ problems.

Still watching HDTV under pending rain Seattle skies, Gill

DarrellP said:
...Voom may have tons of HD, but I can rarely find anything worth watching, I am about a heartbeat away from cancelling....
DarrellP, I enjoy your posts and applaud your continuous calls for Voom to make their PQ second to none. But when anyone says they can rarely find anything worth watching on Voom, I am speechless. The only alternative to Voom is old TV, full of commercials. No way are we going back to that. We love the premiums, exclusives, all the HD, great sound (and we can't even get OTA channels, PBS, or major networks).

It just goes to show that anybody considering Voom really needs to look at the zap2it program listings and decide for themselves if they like Voom's programming, HD or not. For people like me, TV was reinvented when Voom came along. No going back.

Darrell can't leave VOOM. What would he do with all of his time if he suddenly freed up all those hours spent posting VOOM flames. ;-)

screw it, I ordered Voom and scheduled the install for next tuesday.
I couldn't wait, i would be looking in these forums every day for the next 2 months waiting for this DVR to come out. I'll deal with no DVR for a while, and upgrade when necessary. Now as far as local channels go.... we shall see.
Will I be able to get an upgraded antenna from them if the one they supply gets me no channels? What procedure do i follow?

Taank said:
screw it, I ordered Voom and scheduled the install for next tuesday.
I couldn't wait, i would be looking in these forums every day for the next 2 months waiting for this DVR to come out. I'll deal with no DVR for a while, and upgrade when necessary. Now as far as local channels go.... we shall see.
Will I be able to get an upgraded antenna from them if the one they supply gets me no channels? What procedure do i follow?
Congrats on ordering Voom. The hardest part is yet to come! Namely, the install. Check the threads here and follow the guidelines about calling to remind the installer and check status. Above all, do not set your install date for a day when you have to take time off work. If the installer doesn't show, you will have wasted your day. That happens a lot, unfortunately. The install is a big pain, but Voom is worth it.

After your install is over and done with, there are other threads here about requesting an upgrade antenna. AFAIK, you have to settle for whatever the installer brings, and then you have to place a separate order for an antenna upgrade or dish upgrade.

Good luck! :up

darrellp...get a life! voom is great. welcome aboard taank. my installer had an upgraded antenna with him so i didn't need another service call. neither one worked too well so i bought a cheap one on ebay($40) that had a powered pre amp and rotor that works great. it's just sitting in my living room but i plan to move it to my attic soon. good luck with your install.

Voom is nothing but rerun after rerun and after having it for 10 months, there is nothing to watch. The movies on Cinema 10 are worthless, I've recorded maybe 20 movies over 10 months and watched maybe 2 live (except for MonstersHD, I've watched tons of those). They don't look very good live, but I can stomach it coming from a DVD as my Panny cleans up the signal so it is not so noisey, though it is downrezzed and softer.

I'm sorry you guys think Voom is so great, if you saw it on my screen, you'd think otherwise. Anyway, I am going to cancel Voom so you won't have to see my "negative" posts anymore and your wonderful picture can continue to decline and you can all sit around the "chat fire" and talk about how wonderful the skeeters are buzzing around your screen, I've had it with Voom.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Voom concept and I will miss several channels, I just can't put up with the sorry PQ any longer (on SOME, not ALL channels). I am paying them for a service they are not delivering and after more than a year in operation, they should have it cleaned up by now. If all channel looked like MonstersHD, I'd keep them, but the PQ changes from show to show and from channel to channel and this is not acceptable as I never know what I can watch and what I can't watch. Most of the time I can't watch. The only consistent channel is MonstersHD, and that is pathetic.

If they ever get their act together, get more content, get a PVR, clean up their picture, I may come back in a year or so, but I rarely watch it, so I'm done.

1080iBeVuMin, sure there is lots on Voom, but it is 98% reruns. Keep in mind I have the Basic package and do not watch SD programming, so I only have the 21 Voom originals to choose from. Most of my HD watching is from HDNET & OTA and both of those sources are pristine. It's very painful to switch from HDNET to Voom, the difference in PQ is like night and day. Maybe my eyes are too critical, but that's my choice.

I will miss the friendly banter with Sean, Ilya and the rest of the gang, but I finally got a job so I'll have something to fill all those "empty" hours and won't have much time to post around here anymore.

So take care SatelliteGuys, it's been a blast.

Flame away Voom lovers.

DarrellP said:
I'm sorry you guys think Voom is so great, if you saw it on my screen, you'd think otherwise.

I read many of your posts before getting VOOM. Now that I have it, I must say the problems thankfully don't exist or are no where near as bad as made out to be. I'm sure on your screen they exist, good luck with the new job and ciao.

Rob.

No flames from this Voom lover. Each man is entitled to his own opinion, and you've been very consistent with yours. I don't agree with you, but hey --I'm not paying your bill or watching your tv!
Congratulations on the new job, DarrellP, and good luck.

DarrellP said:
...1080iBeVuMin, sure there is lots on Voom, but it is 98% reruns. Keep in mind I have the Basic package and do not watch SD programming, so I only have the 21 Voom originals to choose from. Most of my HD watching is from HDNET & OTA and both of those sources are pristine. It's very painful to switch from HDNET to Voom, the difference in PQ is like night and day. Maybe my eyes are too critical, but that's my choice....
Likewise, no flame from me. Sorry to see you go. Hey, who will be our PQ advocate?

When I started Voom admittedly it was repeat after repeat, and I remember all the negative posts. Now some people complain about not having the DVR and have to miss a program (as if the program is not repeated enough). Voom keeps getting better. I don't watch SD, but I do watch the premiums. (We don't get OTA, and I wouldn't watch OTA channels if we did. I hate commercials.)

The new Cinema10 format is a BIG improvement with a lot of new (meaning different) stuff on there now. Like I am planning to watch the Count Basie documentary tonight on ch 103 Film Fest. That's new. Everybody has different taste. You love MonstersHD, and I don't think I have watched a single MonstersHD movie all the way through.

Anyway, enjoy your little bit of very clear HD!

The thing I kinda got a kick out of was the "I'm sorry you guys think VOOM is so great..." comment :)

Why be sorry because someone else enjoys what they have?

Best of luck ;)

Lob

Is the pq worse on voom?

I thought VOOMs niche was always HD and the best picture available? I'm considering ordering VOOM in the next couple days. Is VOOMs pq not crystal clear?

WaitingForMineToWork said:
I thought VOOMs niche was always HD and the best picture available? I'm considering ordering VOOM in the next couple days. Is VOOMs pq not crystal clear?

It may not be crystal clear on all channels if your screen is over 9 feet. For the remaining 99.99% of subscribers the pic quality is fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts