Looks Like Lin is back!

Forgot about that. But you could set up a manual timer for your OTA based on time.
Yes, but then when I come back to watch the program(s) I have no idea what's what.

Not very user friendly at all.

We NEED the guide data. If DISH used the PSIP data for the OTA tuners we'd be fine, but since THEY choose to BLOCK the PSIP as a LOCK-IN to FORCE you to pay the $5 for the locals, they should populate the EPG info for the OTA channels.

but since THEY choose to BLOCK the PSIP as a LOCK-IN to FORCE you to pay the $5 for the locals, they should populate the EPG info for the OTA channels.

Yes, Dish should give us everything for free. How dare they charge us $5 to get locals many of use otherwise would not receive, and then allow us to integrate those channels and use their DVR functions for non satellite programming....How dare they allow me to record channels from my antenna in a different DMA?
That $5 may just be the best value on satellite....Oh wait - until the networks like Lin up the cost

Last edited:
Yes, Dish should give us everything for free. How dare they charge us to use their DVR functions for non satellite programming....
I didn't say that. They offer the ability to get the OTA stream via the tuners. They are BLOCKING part of that stream (PSIP). I want them to UNBLOCK the PSIP stream since I want to be able to use the OTA tuner that I BOUGHT and THEY SUPPLIED to RECORD programs and then be able to tell what they are.

Even on the 7100 when we had TIME BASED tuners, we would get the name and guide data in the recording. With the current "dispute" with LIN the OTA tuner for them is USELESS as well. It means I can watch the shows real time, but the DVR that I PAY $6/mo (+ the $17/mo/extra receiver) is USELESS for these channels.

I understand WHY they have the notice on the SAT delivered channels, but PLEASE pass the REAL EPG information through for the OTA channels.

Dish has their Twitter page set up so that only their postings are visible. I guess I can understand why, of course... :) Oh well, they did direct-message me and first told me "all you will need to do is scan in the channels". I told them, nope.... Then they suggested that LIN is blocking the data. :( Again, I told them "nope, I'm getting data for the -2 channels". Now they're ignoring me :D

It means I can watch the shows real time, but the DVR that I PAY $6/mo (+ the $17/mo/extra receiver) is USELESS for these channels.
It's only useless if you refuse to manually record. Is that really such a bad thing for awhile? If I understand correctly, isn't Dish the only provider you can even record OTA? (If not I stand corrected, but doesn't change you can manually record)

It's only useless if you refuse to manually record. Is that really such a bad thing for awhile?
It IS useless because each of the manual recordings will say "IMPORTANT INFO!" or whatever the EPG message is. It means I can't tell what the shows are to watch them.

I also would love to get the PSIP data, FWIW. I never noticed before, but you're right, that data records with the show. Usually little to no info, but sometimes quite useful, and better than nothing.

It IS useless because each of the manual recordings will say "IMPORTANT INFO!" or whatever the EPG message is. It means I can't tell what the shows are to watch them.

Since you are recording them, you can't tell just by the time recorded what the show is?? This isn't throwing us into the dark ages... Of course it would be nice to have the guide data, but nothing earth moving not to either. There are ways around it...

Since you are recording them, you can't tell just by the time recorded what the show is?? This isn't throwing us into the dark ages...
I don't necessarily remember what times things are, and it makes things like keep only 3 for this timer (like for Leno) useless.

It DOES make things VERY hard.

Why do you feel I am out of line for wanting the OTA EPG data?

Larry, calm down now.... You can 'Edit' the program info after it's been recorded. I don't like that option, but it is a work-around... :)

Larry, calm down now.... You can 'Edit' the program info after it's been recorded. I don't like that option, but it is a work-around... :)
If I HAPPEN to be home and look at the DVR.

I am calm, I am just not happy. There is a difference.

I want DISH to CHANGE what they are doing.

I do not feel you are out of line at all. This is a Sat TV forum, so all of us are more interested in TV and Sat than others, so I really do understand. I'm just saying at least there are ways around it to get the show you want recorded.

I want DISH to CHANGE what they are doing.
I understand that and disagree with the fact that Dish is blocking the OTA part. I suspect it's just part of their propaganda to get US to complain to LIN-TV. For those of us with OTA setups, we'd be "happy" and wouldn't bother to help Dish fight this.

I understand that and disagree with the fact that Dish is blocking the OTA part. I suspect it's just part of their propaganda to get US to complain to LIN-TV. For those of us with OTA setups, we'd be "happy" and wouldn't bother to help Dish fight this.
Won't work for me. I'm in agreement on the retrans stuff, but this should be fixed. I pay a LOT of $ to Dish every month, and want things to work.

I will continue to rant until things change :)

Another clueless response from the Twitter people...

We have replaced it with a message because LIN has removed the broadcast of their guide and programming
We only have the ability to provide u what they broadcast, if they dont broadcast it for that channel we will replace it with a message

Won't work for me. I'm in agreement on the retrans stuff, but this should be fixed. I pay a LOT of $ to Dish every month, and want things to work.

I will continue to rant until things change :)
Ranting with those of us agree with your OTA point is probably a waste of time though. Kinda like preaching to the choir...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts