Lyngsat & ESA Unveil a New Box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

duchen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I was checking the Lyngat maps today and camre across a notice that Lyngat and the Eurpoean Space agency have deleloped a new FTA receiver called the Lyngbox. They are unveiling it in Eurpoe Sept. 7 (today) through the 11th.

They are promoting it in Europe with a slow roll out this fall.

This description seemed interesting for those of use who need blind scanners or to refer to the various charts. They apparently have softwear that enables the receiver to receive the coordinates for channels on the Lyngsat Chart and update the box. (Who needs blind scan?).

They say:

"The LyngBox is a technically fully-featured satellite receiver, with DVB-S/S2/T, MPEG-2/4 and SD/HD capabilities. You can also add a 2nd DVB-S/S2 tuner. Thanks to the connection with LyngSat, you can get daily updated channel info, so you never have to search for channels again. All new channels will simply “pop up” in your channel list."

That's a great feature. I am assuming that it might not work if they sell the box here (absent a computer interface), given the different attitudes toward FTA here and in Europe.

I saw this box a few months ago, and it looked interesting.

I emailed Christian about it and it appears (at least when I emailed him) that they box would only be available in Europe.

One of the things about Lyngsat is the North American data has some incorrect or outdated information and at times is slow to update when there are changes. Because of that here in the US you would still need to blindscan often to find the stuff that the list does not offer.

It is a neat idea though. :)

"The LyngBox is a technically fully-featured satellite receiver, with DVB-S/S2/T, MPEG-2/4 and SD/HD capabilities. You can also add a 2nd DVB-S/S2 tuner. . . . "
If you read the above, it sounds like a FTA user's dream.
Let's go through that list, feature by feature:
DBV-S = satellite
DVB-S2 = (n/g for NA right now)
DVB - T = terrestrial reception
MPEG2 = standard mpeg
MPEG4 = the new mpeg !
SD = standard def
HD = high def

so, did they leave anything out.?.
Yes, blind scan ! :(

Like so many other empty promises, I must quote the fast-food burger slogan of several decades ago: "Show me the beef!"

Scott, with the new "the list" area, I'm curious if you couldn't maybe talk to Christian and eventually possibly get in to some sort of a deal where they make a North American version that runs off of info in "the list".... although, I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not since it would probably eat a lot of bandwidth... What would be really cool, way down the road, is if there was something like that, and it had WUT area stuff in it too if you were a member. I have no idea how all this fancy doohickey stuff works, but suspect it mainly runs on xml files?...

Another alternative would be for someone to have a "master" channel master bin file that is constant updated with everything, but that probably wouldn't work well since you have different people in different parts of the country that can only get certain parts of the arc...

Anole; Agreed Again

I took your recommendation on blind scan. In light of Scott's comments, you are right again.

They will market to Europe because that is their focus (including on the charts.

Is anyone from here still working with LyngBox for out of the box support for North American feeds? I've been talking with their product marketing for last few weeks and have been having productive conversations.

It doesn't do hardware based blind-scan. BTW it doesn't support 4:2:2 feeds either. If all of such features are implemented, I can be counted as a definitely interested customer.

They've taken feedback from me about support for both of these features in the next version of their tuner, which can also be added as an extra tuner in expansion slot.

I urge all of you who care a quality receiver with best features such as 4:2:2 support as well as blind-scan, to go to following link and let LyngBox know about this. The more potential customers they hear from, the better. This would be the best bet for a quality receiver in my opinion, as opposed to the DreamBox which seems to have failed.

LyngBox - Contact - Sales Enquiry: End Consumer

cool to see a box that can update like that for fta, would be nice with blind scan but to take it further and have that blind scan info transmitted back to the list so all information is constantly updating on everyones receiver. give and receive so to speak.

could even allow for proper information to be obtained by region.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)