Magic Jack TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried usingit for fax and my fax machine keprt giving me an error message that said poor line quality. But I think that is due to my crappy broadband, I have 8 meg down but only 100k up. Incoming faxes work fine.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but try turning off Error Correction on your fax machine and see if it goes.

I have had my Magicjack for about 2 weeks now and the voice quality has been crystal clear. One problem has arisen though. The number they asigned me was obviously on some call lists. I have been receiving alot of spam and junk calls. When I called about getting my number changed, they told me that they could not do it. I have also found out that they do not yet have the ability to block caller ID or to have a non published number. It would seem they need to do a little more work.

they have a part on your profile for your mymagicjack on their website where you can change your phone number once for free and then its like $10 every time after that. ^_^

As soon as they have number porting we will switch. We have Vonage now.

They supposedly will have porting later this year.

I have had my Magicjack for about 2 weeks now and the voice quality has been crystal clear. One problem has arisen though. The number they asigned me was obviously on some call lists. I have been receiving alot of spam and junk calls. When I called about getting my number changed, they told me that they could not do it. I have also found out that they do not yet have the ability to block caller ID or to have a non published number. It would seem they need to do a little more work.
You are allowed 1 free number change. I did mine manually on my MJ account online. I went from an out of state number to an in-state number when the local area code became available. I don't know why they say they can't do it when I could do it for myself. You should look into that. My number isn't published.

Magic Jack

Many users have posted comments there on it. Like anything, some love it, some have problems.
I have my MJ Phone connected to my sat receiver and save $5/month. So the MJ service saves me $40/year net because I don't have to pay for the Dish Network fee. I like that.

The main problem is that you have to have your computer on whenever you want it to work. And mine doesn't have a dial tone coming out of standby unless I unplug the MJ usb and plug it back in.

If you don't have your internet connection available near your sat receiver, this is a good alternative to connect a phone line to your receiver.

I had it but after going round after round after round trying to get the choppyness out of the phone conversations I chucked it in the trash. Definitely not worth the money even if it was $40.

Im not impressed with mine, and the question is how long can they stay in business?

They are collecting alot of $40 payments upfront, but how long can they continue to operate and support all their existing subscribers that are not paying them an ongoing monthly fee?

Don't get me wrong, the product does work but I see it more as a novalty and would not ditch my land line because of it.

I would just be very carefull porting any numbers or getting attatched to a number because if they go out of business I don't think its going to be easy getting your number ported away from them.

Don't they charge an annual fee?
Yes they do. It's $20 upfront for the device and $20 upfront for the first year. Then it's $20/year afterward. You can sign up for a longer term at a cheaper rate - but that's the standard. (About $2/month average)

Still loving mine!

I had it first for getting a standard phone line for a fax connection on my mfc printer. However, since my father has moved in, I needed a separate phone line for him and all the long distance calls he makes, talking for a long time. I originally paid the one time 5 year fee of $59 for 5 years that includes the jack. Not sure if they still have that. I got the MJ last summer. The computer is a small basic old surplus computer with an ethernet card and USB 2.0 card as it doesn't even have on board USB ports. The setup works great and so far no voice quality issues. His former phone bill was about $100 per month with LD charges. Even if the MJ line goes out of business, I will have saved a ton of money before switching to another VOIP service.

Claude- I ported my land line business number to my cell phone and saved it that way when I ended my traditional line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts